Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Ignition Help ASAP!

661 views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  zjosh93 
#1 ·
My zj 1996 5.2l is stranded at work. The ignition key turns and my dash lights come on. But there is no tension when I turn the key, just freely turns with no residence and crank.

Got an ignition switch actuator but when I took about my column I saw nothing resembling what I got (see pic).

What part do I need? Something I can replace or do I need a tow?

#5 ·
Yeah, the **** is that?

Nothing like the ignition switch and cylinder I took apart.

#7 ·
Yeah that looks like the stuff, wish I'd found that when I was trying to fix the mess the PO made of my niner ignition.

#9 ·
It shouldn't be a limited thing . . . that would be interesting.

My guess is it's a 96 builds were a little whatever they had lying around thing.

#11 ·
Dealer can cut you a new cylinder based on your vin.

I did that for the niner, I hated the idea of two keys.

#12 ·
Same thing happened on my son's 96 4.0 XJ and don't think the lock cylinder is much different than on my 96 4.0 ZJ. Was able to just buy the cylinder at the dealer and the parts friend took the time to put the correct key sets in the cylinder so it fit the OE key.

Pretty interesting to watch him do this and there were different lengths of spring-loaded pins to install depending on the depths of the the key cuts.

Most parts guys won't do this but a locksmith can do it in no time if you take a new cylinder with OE key to him. Good luck.

#13 ·
So, dealership tip is probably the way I'm going. Just a heads up, they wanted to charge $150 for the cylinder plus $35 to fit it to your key. They would still only get it in tomorrow. Yeah, no.

They will accept a cylinder that you bring in and fit it same day for the $35 bucks, so I'm going to get one online for like 20 bucks and bring it in myself.

Dang, no wonder it's known as a stealership

#15 ·
So, dealership tip is probably the way I'm going. Just a heads up, they wanted to charge $150 for the cylinder plus $35 to fit it to your key. They would still only get it in tomorrow. Yeah, no.

They will accept a cylinder that you bring in and fit it same day for the $35 bucks, so I'm going to get one online for like 20 bucks and bring it in myself.

Dang, no wonder it's known as a stealership
I tried that at one of our better local locksmiths. They said that the common aftermarket ignition cylinders couldn't be rekeyed because the way they attached the end of the cylinder wouldn't let them reattach it on reassembly. I know that's not the best description. I've had them do other work for me in the past and I don't think they were trying to get out of it or sell me a different cylinder.

The other issue is that the aftermarket cylinders only seem to last 2-3 years. I'm on my third. At $60 a pop locally I'd be dollars ahead now to get the factory piece.

EDIT: I think I figured it out. The new lock cylinder comes with the collar of the end of the cylinder loose. You put it on after dropping in all the right pins. The aftermarket ones come swagged and the way it's swagged my local guy didn't think it could be swagged again to put it back together. Not sure how the factory part is secured, set screw? swagged? See pic. The circled collar goes on the end of the cylinder, also circled.

Attachments

#14 ·
Yep, a real rip-off and saw those $20 aftermarket key cylinders online while also at parts stores.

That was at least 10 years ago I installed the new lock cylinder on my son's 96 XJ. Like I said before don't know if the ZJ cylinder is the same?

One thing I do remember is there was a theft deterrent security torx bit with hole in the middle I needed to go find to do the job. Luckily the local hwd store had one but believe they may sell the security torque bits in sets now. But can't remember if I took more off than I needed to like the ignition switch itself?

Good luck and hope you get it back on the road quickly.

#18 ·
So the part came quickly over the weekend. My wife got it from the post office and tried to take it to the dealership to get it repinned. They said they couldn't do it, I am guessing because it is completely assembled as Josh said. The dealership told my wife this one was already "programmed" or "set" or something- they need a "blank" one to build from scratch.

I guess I will plan to use two different keys for now and maybe address the situation at another time :(

Attachments

#19 ·
Yep, that's what the local locksmith told me. He said they needed a "zero set" or something like that (this was around 5 years ago). I called the dealer and the dealer didn't know what the locksmith was talking about. I guess the dealer parts would be programmable by the local locksmith too.

I'll probably get around to it at some point. The aftermarket ones don't seem to last long. Maybe the OEM parts would be more rugged.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.