Ignition Coil Failure - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Ignition Coil Failure

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 08-28-2006, 10:34 PM   #1
crcsjeep

Ignition Coil Failure

I have a '94 JGC Larado 5.2L. I have been through (5) ignition coils this year. It keeps on burning out every 200-300 miles. Replace the ignition coil, and runs like a dream (until it blows again). Anyone have any ideas for the cause? Tried just about everything, even repair shop says nothing is wrong. HELP!

crcsjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2006, 05:16 AM   #2
driabyor
1994 ZJ 

i have 2 coils on mine.. the original that shot craps twice. and seeing how jeep decided it needed bolts that where 4 foot long. i zip tied the new one next to the old one.. haven't had any problems since... the only reason i zip tied it was .. Boonie fix late night get me the hell out of this town.... Oh it's been zip tied for about 3 years now
driabyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2006, 06:13 AM   #3
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Shot in the dark here but I wonder if there's a contact that's weak (ground maybe?) and causing the coil to work 10 times as hard to keep up with demand.

No experience with where to look but I would be searching desperately for a broken ground strap, bad connection to anything or some other conxn that's draining/robbing power.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2006, 06:21 AM   #4
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

I think Double E is onto something here. Replace your cap, rotor, wires, and plugs.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2006, 07:36 AM   #5
micifus
Original GC'er

1993 ZJ 

you could try the old pull the jeep into a dark garage at nigth and fire it up trick. Look for electrical Arcs, wires may be worn and something could be arcing to ground. Ground being your engine or any other chassis part. Replcaing plugs caps and wires does seem like a logical fix.

1970 Jeepster Commando 225 V6
32"x11.5" BFG A/T
4" Lift

"For every one thing I fix two things break"
micifus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2006, 09:54 AM   #6
crcsjeep

How did you set up a 2 coil setup?

I did replace all wires, cap, rotor, plugs. I believe next shot will be new battery termanals, maybe grounding problem is there. I have already relocated coil away from the original mounting (by exhaust manifold, talk about hot when your on the side of the road w/the stubby and wrench trying to change out the spare you have taken to keeping in the back).

Thanks for all the help!
crcsjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2006, 10:05 AM   #7
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

I went through several in the first five years of ownership.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2006, 10:13 AM   #8
Bloodbath
1998 ZJ 

How about finding the ground on the coil and splice into it and temporarily regrounding it somewhere else? If it stops burning up, it's a grounding problem.
6" Lift - 32 x 11.5 BFG MT's - K&N FIPK - MSD Ignition with Magnecore wires - JKS Control Arms, Trackbars and QD's - Addco Front Swaybar - Intake Swap - U-turn Steering Conversion
Bloodbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2006, 10:19 AM   #9
EMTimZJ
GSMW!

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crcsjeep
How did you set up a 2 coil setup?

I think he meant he just left the origional in place, and just zip-tied the new one near it.

This past year my coil went out. Replaced and so far so good.

Project TORTOISE Build-up thread

JCR Rock Sliders Ford Taurus E-fan Install Dana 20 Twin Stick
EMTimZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2006, 04:41 PM   #10
driabyor
1994 ZJ 

thats right.... its just zip tied to old coil.... i didn't change the wiring or anything...
it just runs on the one coil..
and if it ever decides to fail again. It will take me longer to take the part out of the box , than removing the coil..
driabyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2006, 04:33 PM   #11
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDrunk
How about finding the ground on the coil and splice into it and temporarily regrounding it somewhere else? If it stops burning up, it's a grounding problem.

I like that.... I also wonder if an ohm meter would tell him if there's a big diff in resistance from the current ground to a temporary one just to confirm the fix ot find a possible cause...
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2006, 05:13 PM   #12
Swamp Boy
1993 ZJ 

Jegs actually sells a kit to run 2 coils.. Just throw the switch and it switches from one coil to the other...

I had a simular problem running accell coils.. They suck .. I run an MSD coil now and it is tough..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.