Idler Pulley wobble - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Idler Pulley wobble

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 03-02-2013, 04:54 PM   #1
speedyjeep
2000 WJ 

Idler Pulley wobble

Hello,

My friend has a 97 ZJ with an I6 and his idler pulley started making a wierd sound yesterday. We popped the hood and looked at it and its almost as if it has came out of place a bit. We were going to try to replace it but it started to get dark and we figured we would take a crack at it in the morning. I guess what I need to know is whether its a simple as it looks? I understand you need to remove the tensioner pulley to release the serpentine belt and then remove the pulley, but is it just a matter of replacing the pulley itself? Is there any other parts i could need? I dont think the bracket is messed up, but i will probably have to take everything apart before I find that out. Should I look into getting a new bearing as well?

Sorry for so many questions, first time repairing a serpentine belt issue. Any help would be appreciated

speedyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 06:31 PM   #2
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

It has two idler pulleys. One on the PS pump bracket and another next to AC. First step is to loosen the bolt through the idler pulley on the PS pump bracket. then loosen the tensioner bolt on back side of PS pump bracket. Then change the idler pulley you need to change.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 01:21 AM   #3
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

If the idler pulley is making a weird noise, swap it out. It's bearings are either going bad or the wheel is coming apart.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 09:43 PM   #4
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

it takes minutes to swap an idler pulley.

so you should be able to handle it
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 09:49 AM   #5
MrRoundel
1998 ZJ 

After changing my serpentine belt a couple of weeks ago, I realized that I'd never changed the idler pulleys on my '98 ZJ 4.0L. I figured at 170K it was about time . I'm planning a trip to Baja some time over the next few months, and want to minimize the possibility of preventable breakdowns. Originally I was planning on using a Dorman part, because I like the company well enough to own some stock in it. Every little bit helps. I asked the person at the counter whether he knew where they were made, as I was comparing it with the Gates brand part. He was "pretty sure it's US made." I found out it was actually made in China, which disappointed me as a quality hound, but realized they're in a competitive field where it's basically necessary to seek out cheap Chinese labor. The Gates was made in Canada so, despite it being 2X the money, I went with it. Gates claims that they are OE designers, etc., and have actually taken Dorman to court numerous times for similarly made claims. This may be true, but the wheel casting is considerably thinner than the Mopar one I removed. I'll have to trust that the Canadian made part has a better bearing, as that's probably the most important part. Super simple job to replace it. Truly 5-10 minutes.
MrRoundel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 01:28 PM   #6
Pierre_r

1989 XJ Cherokee 

If i had to choose between Gates and Dorman i would choose Gates.
Because 90% of the dorman parts i have bought didnt fit or they failed after a couple of months.
But that could just be bad luck for me.
And the part they list for "PCV grommet" partnr:42344 dosent fit (hole to big for the pcv valve)
its for the breather on the left valvecover...
fun to discover that when you already have destroyed the old grommet and valve..
Pierre_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 04:25 PM   #7
MrRoundel
1998 ZJ 

I guess I'm glad that I used the Gates. Early failure is not an option I'd care to explore.
The grommet is o.k. in the back part of the 4.0's valve cover, and fits fine with the PCV elbow that's made for the front of the cover. Now you've got me scared about my being able to get buy with replacing the rear elbow only, leaving the new grommet. I guess I'd better head to the parts store. Maybe it'll be a dealer run tomorrow. They appear to have the same size grommet on both the front and rear. I guess I"ll find out.
MrRoundel is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.