idler pulley is shot. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > idler pulley is shot.

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-18-2009, 02:41 PM   #16
DanJeep21
1979 CJ7 

I had the bearing on one of my idler pulleys self destruct while going down the highway. Chewed up the metal behind hte bracket a bit. nothing that would prevent a quick fix. Made a mess out of the belt when it went.

New pully and belt and it was good to go again.

Unread 09-11-2009, 07:21 AM   #17
finsout
2001 TJ Wrangler 

is there any procedure for disengaging the tensioner?
finsout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2009, 12:14 PM   #18
elmer_fud
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by finsout View Post
is there any procedure for disengaging the tensioner?
get a breaker bar/wrench and rotate the pulley up until you can slide the belt off the ideler pulley (a smooth one without groves). Once you have slid the belt off you rotate the pulley back down until there is no longer and force trying to rotate it. Reinstalling the belt is the opposite procedure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedycat View Post
I am not one to be changing lanes at 70 mph on a lifted truck on 33's, but since I am in Miami, I have to be prepared for the continuous influx of new drivers whose previous ride was a bicycle with wooden wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, Mushroom!!! :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Or just tie a 12 lb fish to a one foot pipe.
elmer_fud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2010, 08:52 AM   #19
kmatwill

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman View Post
well it was easy, did it in my friends apartment parking lot.
messed up pulley.

tools used, and whats left of the bearing=nothing.

slight bit of damage to mounting post

bearing spacer old one on the bottom had the inner race stuck to it. new one is quite a bit smaller but it works.

and done
I just had this go out on me. I wonder if you could help me. Where did you get the part? Part number? I went to O'Reilly and got something similar , but it doesn't appear to be right and when I put it in, there is play front to back on the bolt of about a quarter inch and it clearly doesn't look like yours or the old one in the middle as the cavity on the one I got is much smaller. Please help if you can. Thank you, ken

Last edited by kmatwill; 04-01-2010 at 09:15 AM..
kmatwill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2010, 08:55 AM   #20
kmatwill

Also, I'm in Houston if anyone knows of a chain store that might sell these. thanks
Unread 04-01-2010, 10:39 AM   #21
fisher1630
1997 ZJ 

Autozone and napa stock these parts, not sure if there is one near you. You can usually check online inventory.
fisher1630 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2010, 10:48 AM   #22
kmatwill

Thanks, I ended up going to Jeep and picked up a pricey one for $41. I was antsy because I'm going out of town in about 30min. It came with the spacer, bolt, and washer. I did try autozone and they didn't have any, but I should've thought about napa... install was cake. Thanks!
Unread 04-01-2010, 11:40 AM   #23
PaLftr
1997 ZJ 

Mine's been squeeling for weeks now and my voltage meter drops to zero and I get check battery on the VIC...

Is this the problem?

What happens when it goes out?
PaLftr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2010, 12:36 PM   #24
JesseOR
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaLftr View Post
Mine's been squeeling for weeks now and my voltage meter drops to zero and I get check battery on the VIC...

Is this the problem?

What happens when it goes out?
Yours just may be a VERY loose belt. My pulley made a very loud CLACKY CLACKY CLACKY when it puked its bearings. I got, maybe twenty minutes of light driving before it seized completely. Then it was all squeels. Barely made it to the garage before it threw the belt off.

Pretty lucky if you ask me.

Change your belt.

www.facebook.com/jesse.whitehargrove
JesseOR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2010, 12:59 PM   #25
PaLftr
1997 ZJ 

I've checked the belt and it looks good and is also tight.

I get a crazy chirping/squeeling sound usually on cold start up and then it'll stop and everything's fine after some driving.
PaLftr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2010, 03:21 PM   #26
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

That's the belt chirping ^^^
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2010, 08:51 PM   #27
Sporer65
1993 ZJ 

Similar thing happen to me. Got up early to go wheeling, heard a squeaking. Thought it might just cause it was a really cold morning. Stopped to get gas, popped to the hood to check it out since the squeak never got better and the belt popped off right afterwards. So I pushed it back on, limped the Jeep to a parking spot, had a buddy come pick me and take me to the parts store. Bought a new one and replaced it right there, no problem.

So yea, they can just go out with no warning.

1993 Jeep Grand Wagoneer ZJ V8: Rear Aussie, 3.5" Lift, 31" M/Ts

GA Trail Riders
Sporer65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2013, 11:10 AM   #28
jsdsi

Idler pulley parts

My idler pulleys each have a bushing that inserts into the outside, but nothing between the pulley bearings and the engine. I lost a top idler and it's mounting bolt, and broke the belt.
This parts site tells me I should have a washer (2) behind the top idler and a spacer (9) behind the bottom idler. And they ain't cheap for washers: http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...chString=idler

Is this correct? I've gotten along all this time without these, (yeah I know, lost pulley, broken belt) and wonder if I should have them in my car. Belt seemed aligned fine without.
94 zj jeep grand cherokee 6 cyl, A/C
jsdsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.