Idler Pulley replace - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Idler Pulley replace

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation Packages

Unread 12-10-2004, 05:53 PM   #1
jeepholic

Idler Pulley replace

If any one cares how to change the idler pulley here's how I did it.
I R&R’d my idler pulley today. I thought it would go quick but it didn’t.
It started chirping and I assumed it was the bearings so I bought a new set pulley with bearing.
Removed the belt and tried to remove the frozen pulley an it wouldn’t budge, I used an impact wrench on the nut on the back, located next to the alternator, impossible to see but I got a socket on it and it came off still leaving the bolt and pulley froze on. I banged and pried till it came loose, seems when it died it died on an angle and twisted it self on the mount. The mount is actually on the timing cover so I knew worse case scenario is I would need a new cover. The front of the mount was tore up and I wasn’t sure how it would affect the new pulley.
The new pulley was the wrong size, I removed the old bearings from the old pulley, they have a snap ring that holds them in and I put a big socket on them and pounded them out of the pulley. They are pinged in and need some persuasion. so (here’s were it gets odd!) I had a GM tensioner pulley and I popped the bearings out of that one and they are identical to the ones I needed. They are called sealed but you can actually lift the black seal off and repack them. I pinged them into my old pulley and tried to put them back on the ZJ, I needed to die grind the mount back until it was flush on the front so everything had something straight to bolt to. I then added about an 1//8 spacer to take up what I grinded off. I put it on and it was almost perfect, it chirped if you mashed the throttle so I pilled it all apart and adjusted the bearing in the pulley, I pounded on the back of it to move it out a little and repinged it with a punch. I replaced my belt with a new one and that alone took almost 30 minutes trying to stuff it between the shroud and blades and pulleys(yes the engine was not running while I did my belt). It seems to be good as new now, total time 4 hours, I think the book say 30 min………maybe next time.

94 I6 ZJ at 4", 33's and front locker and 4.11 gears. Swampy Bypass.
[B]Black Jeep Club Member Ver. 2 #51[/B]
jeepholic is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.