Idle vs Turn off when in store briefly - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Idle vs Turn off when in store briefly

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 02-27-2013, 03:57 AM   #1
streetzj
1997 ZJ 

Idle vs Turn off when in store briefly

Random question, but if I'm just stopping into the gas station for say three minutes, should I leave my engine running or stop it and then restart it?

I'd think letting it idle for a few minutes would be easier on the starter and other parts, but at what point does the gas usage make a difference? Because it takes a decent amount of gas to start it, vs not too much at idle. But at some point leaving it running would waste more gas.

And I wouldn't do this in a sh itty neighborhood. (Although I did tonight!)

streetzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2013, 05:00 AM   #2
sevenscrew
1997 ZJ 

I. Wouldn't do it period. I laugh at any person who leaves their car unattended running in a lot. In my area u see one of those at every store. It's like 30 seconds of idling is the same as starting it. Just think, you could be the cause of a murderer or robber getting away.

in the works: lp30 + 8.8 build to 4.88s + wj swap
sevenscrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2013, 05:22 AM   #3
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

It's fuel injected. It doesn't take that much fuel to start, not like a carb.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2013, 05:30 AM   #4
streetzj
1997 ZJ 

Ok, so leaving it running during a quick stop won't save any gas it sounds like.

What about the starter? What's the cycle life on those?
Unread 02-27-2013, 05:33 AM   #5
MrB
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I like to let mine warm up completely before shutting it off. So I leave it run at the gas station a minute down the road where i get my coffee. All other stops I shut it down. I keep a second key on me so I lock my door while it's running and keep an eye on it while in the store. If someone goes to pull on the door handle I'll see it.
MrB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2013, 09:22 AM   #6
timbo1969
2003 WJ 

Regards to the life of a starter ...

I have 95 ZJ 4.0L with 260K.
Purchased with 40K in 1998.
I never leave it running when my tail is out of the seat, especially while at any gas station or convenience store.

Replaced the original starter in 2003 with a Lifetime Warranty option from AAP for $113.
2 bolts, 2 nuts , 45 minutes later ... back on the street.
Replaced the replacement starter in 2009 ... free under the warranty
2 bolts, 2 nuts, 45 minutes later ... life is good.
Last weekend - replaced the replacement's replacement ... free once again
2 bolts, 2 nuts, 1.5 hours later (had dinner in the middle) ... rollin' once more.

Keep in mind that my starters are probably only replaced because my block is cleaned about once a month.
All the residual "gunk" flowing down on it, assists the solenoid with a little sticking ... which my wife does not like to smack it with an old ax handle, we carry in the back.
Replaced they get.

So ... $113 and 3 hours of my time ... over a period of 18 years.
I figure the energy drinks I purchased at those stores during those years have wasted me more - than the starters.
Not to mention the greater potential for theft/damage ... when the crime of opportunity is sitting there idling.

In love ...

Last edited by timbo1969; 02-27-2013 at 09:25 AM.. Reason: added love
timbo1969 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2013, 09:44 AM   #7
streetzj
1997 ZJ 

That's actually a good perspective. I think I'll just continue to leave in running only on the really cold Minnesota days, especially if the engine isn't at operating temp -- everyone does on those days.

And you're right -- I've probably spent thousands on donuts and chocolate milk in the past few years. Such a damn waste!
Unread 02-27-2013, 11:02 AM   #8
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

I've wondered this same thing many a time. And not once have I gotten a straight answer from anyone I have talked to, let alone a similar one from two people. I get a different response from just about every person I talk to. So far, its about a 50/50 split I'd say. I live up in Montana, and the crime rate where I live is minimal. If an idling vehicle got jacked from the front of a gas station, it would be found extremely quickly. I don't live in a tiny town where everyone knows each other, but it's small enough that news gets around when something like that happens. So I'm not too worried when I DO leave my jeep idling in the parking lot on the days where the thermometer drops below 0. As for gas consumption, like Ratmonkey said, very minimal for the 3 minutes you're in the C-Store for your Red Bull. 6, 1/2 dozen the other really. Any more than about 5 minutes unattended, though, and I start to get a little antsy... Just a matter of personal preference and locale I would think. Just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.