Idle speed control "problem" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Idle speed control "problem"

Official Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Headlight Pair

Unread 11-05-2008, 05:55 PM   #1
arieson35
2000 ZJ 

Idle speed control "problem"

Hi everyone, I have this IAC problem that i thought problem was solved! I bought this idle air control from some after market parts store (way cheaper than the dealer) But only did the job for less than a week so I took it back and got another one for free, and sure same thing happen again so i decided to go and buy one again, this time from a dealer but then worked only for nearly 2 weeks and i was told by my son it's doing it again. Is there some thing else thats causing this problem? Originaly the problem is... it would not stay running unless you keep your foot on the gas pedal until it warms up. Someone help

Last edited by arieson35; 11-06-2008 at 05:48 PM..
arieson35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2008, 07:13 PM   #2
elmer_fud
1995 ZJ 

check the wires in the connector for the IAC. Maybe one of the wires is loose and wiggles loose after a week. I am assuming you are talking about the IAC (idle air control) controls the idle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedycat View Post
I am not one to be changing lanes at 70 mph on a lifted truck on 33's, but since I am in Miami, I have to be prepared for the continuous influx of new drivers whose previous ride was a bicycle with wooden wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, Mushroom!!! :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Or just tie a 12 lb fish to a one foot pipe.
elmer_fud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2008, 07:59 PM   #3
Vestjam

2008 JK Wrangler 

The Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) may actually be the problem.

IF you replace it, get one from the dealer. I tried the consumer (cheap) method and bought one from an autoparts store, only to replace it with a Mopar one 2 months later. No problems since.

Give the throttle body a good cleaning also.

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport
4.0L/AW4, Yakima Roof Rack
Vestjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2008, 10:09 PM   #4
arieson35
2000 ZJ 

yes it is IAC, and i already change the tps as well, throtle is well cleaned but this cold start problem is a big battle for me. wires been wigled a lot before but no difference is noticed. Im starting to think it could be the ECM. PLS. let me know any possible problem.
Unread 11-05-2008, 10:12 PM   #5
-Joe-
1995 ZJ 

have you tried pulling the check engine codes?

Its free.. do it.. no reason not to.

To display codes cycle the ingition key On-Off-On-Off-On within three seconds. Count the number of flashes, first digit, pause then second digit will be displayed in a series of flashes. (2 flashes, pause, 1 flash = 21)

In your case the digital odometer shows the codes i think..

'95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo I6 4.0L
242TC - Extreme Engineering 2" Front Lift/1.75" Rear Lift - ES9000 Shocks + JKS BPEs
Moog Cargo Control Springs
Magnaflow Converter - Dynomax Muffler
235/75/15 AT Uniroyal Liberator Tires
-Joe- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2008, 10:28 PM   #6
arieson35
2000 ZJ 

there is no check engine light but scanned it anyway, no codes. once i disconnect the iac harness and start then check engine comes on.
Unread 11-06-2008, 08:44 AM   #7
pjkatz04
2002 WJ 

i have a left-field theory...has the car battery died lately?
Unread 11-06-2008, 09:45 AM   #8
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Plugs in good shape? I'm wondering what else may change dramatically like that with cold starts and its properties changing once warm...
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2008, 05:44 PM   #9
arieson35
2000 ZJ 

Plug is good and Yes battery went dead once but replaced and charge been good. this happened during the time of changing IAC to One another.
Unread 11-06-2008, 05:55 PM   #10
-Joe-
1995 ZJ 

Check the coolant temp sender.. If its an I6 its the one at the front of the engine..

and what leads you to believe its the iac? Aftermarket ones are fine.. I have both non-mopar IAC and TPS and no problems..

Provided you arent trying to adjust the IAC before installing it. (no need whatsoever to move the pintle) You need to start testing some things before replacing parts. IF you have a multimeter you should start checking some things.

'95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo I6 4.0L
242TC - Extreme Engineering 2" Front Lift/1.75" Rear Lift - ES9000 Shocks + JKS BPEs
Moog Cargo Control Springs
Magnaflow Converter - Dynomax Muffler
235/75/15 AT Uniroyal Liberator Tires
-Joe- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2008, 07:10 PM   #11
pjkatz04
2002 WJ 

Ok well the only reason i asked was because I had a ZJ and i remember that if the battery died it tripped some funky anit-theft thing where if you reconnected the battery and started the car it would automatically stall out. had to get around it by locking the car with the alarm clicker and unlocking the drivers door with the key, holding it in the unlock position for like 20 seconds. that assured the car that you were in fact the owner. then it would stay running on startup.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.