Idle rpm funny while coasting in neutral - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Idle rpm funny while coasting in neutral

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 01-24-2014, 08:09 PM   #1
kb9mfd
1995 ZJ 

Idle rpm funny while coasting in neutral

I have not noticed this before on anything else I drive, but if I am driving along and shift into N (transmission, not TC), at 15mph and higher the rpm jumps to 1.2k, then every two seconds it drops to 600, then back to 1.2k (like if I would hold down the accelerator a little ways and let go of it every two seconds), it does that until I get below 15 mph then it drops to 600 and stays there. I'll do that when it is very icy out so I am not fighting against the drive train and engine, (also when I have my big snow boots sometimes I will catch the accelerator with the brake by mistake), or when I am shifting the TC. Is that normal? What would cause that?

kb9mfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2014, 11:11 PM   #2
KJK
1998 ZJ 

Mine will do the same thing. I first noticed it a few years ago. Every time I bring it up all I get is a bunch of posts stating it's illegal to coast in neutral.
Unread 01-24-2014, 11:50 PM   #3
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

My GUESS would be that , even in neutral, the torque convertor has some fluid resistance and therefore the engine rpms are affected. I base this on the fact that the tranny fluid is to be checked with the tranny in neutral and warm, indicating that the fluid pump is operational. But I know NOTHING about auto trannys...so it's only a GUESS. I'm sure a tranny guy will set me straight if I'm way off base.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2014, 07:41 AM   #4
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb9mfd View Post
I have not noticed this before on anything else I drive, but if I am driving along and shift into N (transmission, not TC), at 15mph and higher the rpm jumps to 1.2k, then every two seconds it drops to 600, then back to 1.2k (like if I would hold down the accelerator a little ways and let go of it every two seconds), it does that until I get below 15 mph then it drops to 600 and stays there. I'll do that when it is very icy out so I am not fighting against the drive train and engine, (also when I have my big snow boots sometimes I will catch the accelerator with the brake by mistake), or when I am shifting the TC. Is that normal? What would cause that?
Normal . Not a good practice regardless . Not concerned if there's a legality involved , I don't think it's heathy for the trans/engine period .

Old frog , my hypothesis is the the pump works all the time , neutral allows the oil to flow through the trans w/o restriction and be safely checked by one person . The process also accounts for any mods or issues that could effect the oil level in , let's say , Park . (ie: check/drainback valve removal) The gauge then set on the dipstick accordingly .
Torque converters work based on engine RPM . wheels are spinning , it's transfered via drive shaft , through the t-case , to the trans and eventually to the engine . The torque converter will stay engaged till approx 1500rpms , therefore it will increase the engine rpm until the vehicle speed is reduced enough to unlock the converter . It's not the engine revving , it's being pushed by the energy transfer of the rotating assembly which everything is connected .

That's my stab at it
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.