Idle Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Idle Problems

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 09-27-2002, 09:30 PM   #1
JeepGuyRyan

Idle Problems

First off, where should the idle be on a 93 GC with the 4.0?

Second, what do you recomend for a rough idleing Engine? It only has 20,000 orig miles on it, recently had a tune up, (didn't seem to help much) It is very annoying to have the thing shaking so much at idle as if it is almost going to stall out.

Unread 09-28-2002, 09:43 PM   #2
Intrepidjeep

My father has a '93 -- I believe I recall him saying there's actually an idle screw on the throttle body. I believe he said it's covered by a little plug, which you can remove and replace after adjustment. I know for a fact there was one on the '87 4.0L engine I once had, but that would have been Renix throttle body, and yours is a different, larger bore throttle body. Still check to see if you can find the idle screw.

The throttle body may need to be cleaned out. Also the idle air control motor on the throttle body may need to be cleaned out. I believe it can simply be removed from the throttle body and sprayed out with carb cleaner. Of course, that IAC might actually be malfunctioning now.

Even with low miles, it's still 10 years old, so it could probably use a new cap & rotor if that wasn't done at the tuneup, along with new plugs and plug wires.
2005 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7L
Intrepidjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2002, 11:31 AM   #3
Intrepidjeep

Update: Talked with my father this morning -- he said the screw is there but it's JB-welded or otherwise locked in place, not adjustable. I know on the older 4.0L's it was adjustable, but I guess when they went to the Chrysler FI they took care of that.
Unread 09-29-2002, 02:32 PM   #4
Big Dumb White Guy

nope. it's some kind of loc-tite stuff. take the TB off and clean it and try to adjust it. i tried and it has made no difference. still idles like crap!

A guy walks into the psychiatrist office wearing only Glad Wrap shorts. The shrink says, "Well, I can clearly see you're nuts."
Big Dumb White Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2002, 04:10 PM   #5
Intrepidjeep

You can use a voltmeter to test the AIC -- it's supposed to return a specific voltage range when closed versus open, I believe. Have to check the manual. My father's '93 GC did have a bad AIC at one time that he diagnosed that way -- the voltages were way off.
Unread 09-30-2002, 06:15 AM   #6
ALS59LTD
2003 TJ Wrangler 

the idle is controlled by the computer with the IAC (Idle Air Control) valve. you should check/replace the valve. they can get pretty expensive. I remember the one for my camaro was like $70.

Where did you find a 93 with 20,000 miles??????
Unread 09-30-2002, 06:22 AM   #7
Big Dumb White Guy

Autozone was like under $60.

A guy walks into the psychiatrist office wearing only Glad Wrap shorts. The shrink says, "Well, I can clearly see you're nuts."
Big Dumb White Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2002, 03:56 PM   #8
Intrepidjeep

Yeah, a '93 with 20,000 actual miles would be a pretty sweet deal if it's in good shape.
Unread 10-03-2002, 07:42 PM   #9
rebrock57

My 94 4.0 had a rough idle, it turned out that the stock motor mounts had weakened, allowing the engine vibrations to be transmitted through to the frame and body, Replaced the motor mounts and it idles as smoothly as new, now with 156k miles.
rebrock57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.