Idle air control valve bad??? 93 grand cherokee limited 5.2l 8cyl - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Idle air control valve bad??? 93 grand cherokee limited 5.2l 8cyl

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Shop Stuff to Complete the Job!

Unread 06-06-2012, 05:54 PM   #1
xv_nj
1993 ZJ 

Idle air control valve bad??? 93 grand cherokee limited 5.2l 8cyl

What would the signs of a bad idle air control valve be?

xv_nj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #2
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Rough idle. High idle. Starting problems. Intermittent stalling problems.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 07:01 PM   #3
xv_nj
1993 ZJ 

thanks..im hoping to get to the bottom of this stalling problem. check my other posts if u have the time and u can see what i am going thru. really trying to get this old clunker running good for fishing. body is mint, inside needs new front seats and carpet replaced, other then that the transmission and engine ran great until now. did have a problem with starting and losing battery connection before all this. had to jiggle the negative terminal to get power. replaced terminals/part of wire with splice kit
Unread 06-06-2012, 07:08 PM   #4
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xv_nj View Post
thanks..im hoping to get to the bottom of this stalling problem. check my other posts if u have the time and u can see what i am going thru. really trying to get this old clunker running good for fishing. body is mint, inside needs new front seats and carpet replaced, other then that the transmission and engine ran great until now. did have a problem with starting and losing battery connection before all this. had to jiggle the negative terminal to get power. replaced terminals/part of wire with splice kit
Didn't notice the other posts. Give me a quick description of your problem? If you wiggled the negative battery terminal and it fixed the problem, I would buy two new brass battery terminals and cut off a little bit of the wire and use a new chunk for each side.

Also check the ground that goes to the inner fender from the negative terminal.

Without knowing any background, I would guess a bad Crank Position Sensor/Throttle Position Sensor or fuel related issue.

Have you already tried cleaning the IAC?
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 09:39 PM   #5
xv_nj
1993 ZJ 

what is the iac and how would i clean it/with what? i purchased 2 of these to replace the terminals (on the positive side i used electrical tape to close off that smaller wire in the center as the positive side only had 2 thick cables)

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...7_339808_5977_

inspected the ground on the negative side and it seemed fine.

heres info from a my other post

last week my truck started stalling on me. i would turn the key and it would start but then shut off a second later, then after a few attempts it started but then stalled when i accelerated.

changed a few things since fri - battery terminals (used a splice kit that replaced the terminal & a few inches of wire), pcv valve & grommet, spark plugs & wires, fuel filter, air filter. attempted to change the distributor cap but 1 screw was striped previously so i couldnt do it.

now after all this i attempted to start it and it would keep stalling, then it finally stayed running with the idle halfway to the 1 (not sure if it was always/suppose to be like that) and once again when i accelerate it stalls.

i read somewhere on this forum about listening for a noise in the fuel pump. i turned the key without starting the vehicle and had the door open and i did hear a winding noise.

also i just replaced the throttle position sensor.
Unread 06-06-2012, 09:48 PM   #6
xv_nj
1993 ZJ 

here are some of my other posts. wondering if something is screwed up from all the times i tried starting my jeep when the negative terminal was bad and it would click when i turned key and lose connection. thats when i had to keep jiggling terminal and try and start again until it did.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/9...-8cyl-1377301/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/o...-8cyl-1377481/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/a...-8cyl-1377488/
Unread 09-13-2012, 06:04 PM   #7
theopacific1
1998 ZJ 

did you replace the iac? did it help the idle?
theopacific1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.