Ideas for securing 4 point harneses - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Ideas for securing 4 point harneses

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 08-20-2013, 10:36 PM   #1
RagTagSoldier
1996 ZJ 

Ideas for securing 4 point harneses

Ey guys, next spring in taking the jeep to silver lake for some dune jumping but before then I want to get some harnesses installed. Does anyone have any ideas for securing the shoulder straps behind the seats. I have crappy welding experience so welding a cross bar behind the seats at shoulder height is prettying out of the question.... Bolt in options????

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum so it probably looks goofy.

RagTagSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2013, 11:19 PM   #2
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

usually, harnesses are secured to a roll cage. at least thats how all the ones ive seen are.
Unread 08-21-2013, 04:28 AM   #3
zachjf
1998 ZJ 

Not to be a d**k but nothing about jumping a unibody rig is a good idea. Being an ex auto body tech and current mechanic I've seen unibodies tweaked and all sorts of other damage from bumping a curb wrong @15mph so jumping a unibody, even a Jeep, is a bad idea!
Unread 08-21-2013, 05:30 AM   #4
RagTagSoldier
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachjf
Not to be a d**k but nothing about jumping a unibody rig is a good idea. Being an ex auto body tech and current mechanic I've seen unibodies tweaked and all sorts of other damage from bumping a curb wrong @15mph so jumping a unibody, even a Jeep, is a bad idea!
Your okay. I am always open to advice. How about just racing at the dunes or climbing them?

Unread 08-21-2013, 06:50 AM   #5
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Frame construction is not the issue. There are plenty of unibody rigs catching air. For example the JeepSpeed series. If you are going to be jumping this rig then of course you need a harness but before that you need to invest some serious $$$ in the suspension. And in particular progressive rate bump stops, shocks, and beefed up mounting points. Followed by a cage. And then the harness comes into the picture.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2013, 08:11 AM   #6
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

A harness is dumb without a cage......it'll just hold you in place better for getting crushed
Unread 08-21-2013, 12:38 PM   #7
RagTagSoldier
1996 ZJ 

Well I've watched a couple of videos on jeepspeed.... Pretty sure I finally have a definitive goal as to where I want my jeep to end up....

Unread 08-21-2013, 01:48 PM   #8
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Harnesses/racing seats are designed to work together with a roll cage. Stock seats and shoulder belts are designed to buckle so you double over in the event of a roll over. A racing harness without a roll bar is more dangerous than a stock setup.

Get a local shop to put in a roll bar.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2013, 04:30 PM   #9
RagTagSoldier
1996 ZJ 

Of by roll bar you mean the bar behind the seats that the harness straps to. Then yes I am making up the plans to have one put In by my finances dad as he is a master welder. I will then base the rest of my cage around that

Unread 08-21-2013, 05:32 PM   #10
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

dont just put in a bar for the harnesses to mount to. that could literally be digging your own grave. put in a full roll rage
Unread 08-21-2013, 07:54 PM   #11
RagTagSoldier
1996 ZJ 

Oh I plan to. My brother has been racing stock car since he was 15 so I know how important saftey is. I have all winter to design it. I am designing it around the existing belt system so you can still use the stock 3 point harness

Unread 08-21-2013, 09:02 PM   #12
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagTagSoldier View Post
Oh I plan to. My brother has been racing stock car since he was 15 so I know how important saftey is. I have all winter to design it. I am designing it around the existing belt system so you can still use the stock 3 point harness

gotcha
Unread 08-21-2013, 09:13 PM   #13
RagTagSoldier
1996 ZJ 

Lol just wanted to see if there were any bolt on options, ( I donor possess the tools nor skill to make one and am not fond of other people touching my rig) the only one I can find is the one from rock hard 4x4 but I don't hear very good things about it lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.