IAC or TPS - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > IAC or TPS

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 10-12-2006, 08:56 PM   #1
textrailkiller

IAC or TPS

ok im not sure which one is causing me problems i guess i have a 50/50 chance of getting this right........but my jeep 93 zj 4.0l 154,000 appears to miss or bog down when i give it a generous amount of gas on the highway......but as soon as i back off its ok....also when i come to a stop light it boggs down.....just had a tune up a week ago and i have already excluded the o2 sensor. shot some carb cleaner in the tb and ran great for about 5 mins and then started to act up? help only have money for one sensor this week which one first. i thought IAC casue i read that the 93's were natorios for that as well as other things...(damn exhaust mani) any help would be appriciated

textrailkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2006, 09:09 PM   #2
PugetHound

if I had to pick..with your symptoms..go with the TPS but don't be shocked if it doesn't fix it. Be sure to check all vacuum conections first.

06 Commander Limited 5.7 Hemi !
PugetHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2006, 09:23 PM   #3
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

The IAC mainly controls the air supply when idling with no foot pressure on the accelerator pedal. Can't see how it could cause your problems. Try the TPS sensor. The MAP sensor could also be faulty. Use the key on/off, on/off, on procedure to see if the are any trouble codes.
Unread 10-12-2006, 09:54 PM   #4
Yardman Harry
O

1996 ZJ 

dude, its definetly the TPS. I had the same problem. I tried everything, dropped the gas tank, cleaned it out, cleaned the pump, tested the pump pressure at the rail, i replaced the Coil, 3 fuel filters, 2 bottles of that crap thats supposed to clean your injectors, new IAC, Cleaned the throttle body, 4 full tanks of ultra premium gas, new air filter, new vacume testing kit (vacume was fine), one bottle of TB cleaner down the TB to make lots of cool smoke. And i almost pulled the Cat off to see if it was clogged or not, but i said let me replace that damn TPS

i figured it couldnt be my TPS cause it didnt happen all the time, driving along the highway, try to pass someone and every now and then, didnt matter hot or cold, just whenever it wanted, i would open up the throttle and boom, i would bog down, if i let up, i would be okay, then it seemed to go away. had the problem for a couple of months, it would happen every now and then. Then i went to florida with some bikes on my roof, the added resistance made my engine need more gas, so i had to give it more! i almost didnt make it to florida! i couldnt go faster than 60 mph. it would get so bad that if i had to stop at a light i couldnt accelerate.

SO, i changed the TPS. Well, ever since then, no problems. It works great!! even towed a 6x12 uhaul packed full with my appartment, hills and all, no problem.

Good luck man, hope this helps....

let us know what happens

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Ed. I6 - 4.0 litre, 4" SL, D44 rear, 4:56 Gears, AA SYE with double cardon custom rear Drive Shaft, IRO Adj CAs, Kevins Rear Adj TB with JOHNNY JOINT end

1999 Mazda Miata MX5 - Jet Black

1990 Jeep Cherokee Sport I6 - 4.0 litre
White
~Junked~
Yardman Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2006, 10:04 PM   #5
gomes512
1994 ZJ 

Yep like yardman said, TPS. I had similiar problems and a new TPS fixed 'em for the most part. However, while I was there I ripped off the whole throttle body cleaned it thorougly and put in a new IAC and TB to manifold gasket on as well.

After a 110K miles things got way to black and gunky. The TPS was shot and the IAC wouldn't move smoothly from all the black tar. Put in the TPS first as its the easiest, then get a new IAC and gasket and clean out the TB. Whole ordeal should take no more then 45mins.
gomes512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2009, 04:15 PM   #6
rcawrse
1985 CJ7 

I know this is an old post but quick question for yardman or an others out there. Does the TPS have a small seal? My old one has a gray little ring that tuck into it. The new one I got does not have this. Do I reuse the gray one or does it not need one?

When accelerating my jeep sputters, especially when going uphill. Thinking TPS after reading many responses on this forum.

Thanks,
Rob
rcawrse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2009, 04:47 PM   #7
gbauer
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardman Harry View Post
dude, its definetly the TPS. I had the same problem. I tried everything, dropped the gas tank, cleaned it out, cleaned the pump, tested the pump pressure at the rail, i replaced the Coil, 3 fuel filters, 2 bottles of that crap thats supposed to clean your injectors, new IAC, Cleaned the throttle body, 4 full tanks of ultra premium gas, new air filter, new vacume testing kit (vacume was fine), one bottle of TB cleaner down the TB to make lots of cool smoke. And i almost pulled the Cat off to see if it was clogged or not, but i said let me replace that damn TPS

i figured it couldnt be my TPS cause it didnt happen all the time, driving along the highway, try to pass someone and every now and then, didnt matter hot or cold, just whenever it wanted, i would open up the throttle and boom, i would bog down, if i let up, i would be okay, then it seemed to go away. had the problem for a couple of months, it would happen every now and then. Then i went to florida with some bikes on my roof, the added resistance made my engine need more gas, so i had to give it more! i almost didnt make it to florida! i couldnt go faster than 60 mph. it would get so bad that if i had to stop at a light i couldnt accelerate.

SO, i changed the TPS. Well, ever since then, no problems. It works great!! even towed a 6x12 uhaul packed full with my appartment, hills and all, no problem.

Good luck man, hope this helps....

let us know what happens
You sound like me! LOL

I just changed my TPS this morning.

For the last three years and 40k miles I've been playing with this issue.
So far changed the following trying to figure this problem out:
All 8 plugs
all 8 coil packs
In-Line Fuel filter
Fuel Filter socks
Cleaned the ENTIRE intake manifold and TB... by HAND (took it off the engine....)
Drained and filled the transmission... twice
replaced the TC fluid and both diffs
O2 sensors

Finally started actually reading this board over the last two months or so and gave the TPS a shot this morning (I figured that for $30 it couldn't hurt too bad, right?).

The Heep is now a Jeep again. No problems.

On the bright side: the Jeep needed all that done anyway.
gbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2009, 09:29 PM   #8
SIU
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcawrse View Post
I know this is an old post but quick question for yardman or an others out there. Does the TPS have a small seal? My old one has a gray little ring that tuck into it. The new one I got does not have this. Do I reuse the gray one or does it not need one?

When accelerating my jeep sputters, especially when going uphill. Thinking TPS after reading many responses on this forum.

Thanks,
Rob
If you had gotten it from jeep dealer it would have come with a gasket and a oring which by the way are viton orings. The instructions say if your TB has a place for the oring then that is what you use.

That TBS takes care of a lot things. I had to replace mine for one issue that kept me busy reading and searching for several hours. The RPM would jump around on cruise. Replaced the TPS problem solved.
SIU is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.