I thought my 249 VC was bad... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > I thought my 249 VC was bad...

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 10-18-2013, 02:43 AM   #1
zjilla
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

I thought my 249 VC was bad...

So when i first bought the jeep (98 GC 4.0 w/ 249 TC) it binded bad when making sharp turns. the tires would hop and pop. I knew in time i would have to replace the VC or the TCase with a different model. The Jeep was lifted around 3.5-4" still on stock control arms. dont look at me...I bought it that way for a cheap price with plans on making the control arms right again.

I added WJ lower control arms which moved the axle forward about 1/2".
And guess what, the binding stopped.

Do you think the Tcase was having a problem taking turns bc the axles were too close to the center of the vehicle? Like i said i was on stock control arms.

www.annirlane.blogspot.com
October 2013 JK of the month
My Slowly but surely JK build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/s...hread-1562595/
zjilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 05:54 AM   #2
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Maybe the binding was the tires rubbing on something?

I can't see any possibility that pushing the axle forward would affect the t-case.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 07:04 AM   #3
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Or the bushings are brand new and it feels much better. If the VC is bad you just gave it new bushings to ruin.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 09:20 AM   #4
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

You may have helped the pinion angle some too, causing the drive shaft u joints to stop binding.
Unread 10-18-2013, 04:44 PM   #5
zjilla
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

I know its double cardain at the tcase...but even with a cv at the pinion?....if the vc was bad...with new or old CA bushings it woulf bind. These bushings are out of a junk yard and have miles regardless

Sent from my GT-N7000 using JeepForum
www.annirlane.blogspot.com
October 2013 JK of the month
My Slowly but surely JK build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/s...hread-1562595/
zjilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.