I think my distributor is worn out - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > I think my distributor is worn out

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-07-2011, 04:21 AM   #16
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Thanks Zee, eyes arent what they used to be, and these jeep headlight lenses I use for glasses are just so darn yellow....lmao.

coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2011, 05:16 AM   #17
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

You won't feel timing chain slop in the distributor because you'd have to move the cam & valvetrain to do so.

The correct way to do it is to pull the distributor and check end play with a feel gauge between the gear & body. Turn by hand feeling for hard spots. Feel for excessive side play on the shaft.

Replace the distributor gear, some guys won't reinstall old ones on new motors. Others have no idea they're available seperately. Kits with hardened shims are available to tighten endplay.

good luck
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2011, 06:13 AM   #18
Brandon1986
1997 ZJ 

I'm not sure on the 4.0 but on the 5.2 there is a brass bushing in the block that the distributer shaft rides in. After a while that bushing will wear out and give your rotor about that much slop and make it run kinda trashy. Again I dont know about the 4.0 but the 5.2 its a real bear cat to change out unless you have the right tools. If you can verify that bushing is in the 4.0 it wouldnt hurt to cut your oil filter apart to see if there is any brass in it... Just a thought
Brandon1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2011, 11:55 AM   #19
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Dealer items foundrydude? theshims and gear?
Unread 07-07-2011, 03:59 PM   #20
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

I took off the pickup coil and disconnected it, blew the trash out, put it all back together. In addition I dug through my box of parts and found a new rotor button, stuck it on and haven't had a miss yet.

Good info foundrydude, will put that in my bag o tricks.
ZeeJay1997 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2011, 04:05 PM   #21
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

I've seen mixed opinions on the FSM requirement to set the distributor with a DRB scan tool. Who has done this by TDC and scribing before staring and had success?
Unread 07-07-2011, 04:17 PM   #22
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

10-4 on the money pit. I let my saltwater tank go last weekend so I could divert mo money mo money to the jeep project. People who know me figured I would take that in the casket and wear a wet suit. But this thing entertains me and keeps me from chasing whores{lol not really}. Instead of the wet suit, I'll just bury the jeep with my finger glued to the search button on the radio.
Unread 07-07-2011, 04:29 PM   #23
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Well I figure they put a timing dial on the chain cover for a reason. Only thing I would be worried about is all the wear in the components. I replaced my distributor just marking where everything was at and popping the new one in. I know you are better versed at this than me, but I thought I would put in my two cents.
Unread 07-12-2011, 09:08 PM   #24
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
I took off the pickup coil and disconnected it, blew the trash out, put it all back together. In addition I dug through my box of parts and found a new rotor button, stuck it on and haven't had a miss yet.
It still hasnt missed after a week of commuting. Must have been either the rotor button or the connector on the cam sensor... or the crap floating around inside the housing.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.