I think my d35 is finally on its way out - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > I think my d35 is finally on its way out

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Reply
Unread 05-02-2013, 10:27 AM   #16
PolkaPower
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Abyss, MD
Posts: 15,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdjs123 View Post
Would a transmission shop be able to do somethin like that?
I would think a drive line shop would be a better choice. According to google there is a driveline and axle shop in Westlake near you. It's called Henderson.

PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 10:41 AM   #17
Bigdjs123
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Parma, Ohio
Posts: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post

I would think a drive line shop would be a better choice. According to google there is a driveline and axle shop in Westlake near you. It's called Henderson.
Ok sweet thank you.
Bigdjs123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 02:56 PM   #18
LouC
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 1,299
What are you using this jeep for? If its just street driving and light duty off road the D35 is not going to self destruct unless someone let all the oil run out of it. I have the OE one in mine still, same bearings gears etc 15 years 145,000 miles some of that towing boats up very steep hills. Used syn gear oil from the beginning.
If you are doing more hard core off road then yes the D35 is not the axle to use long term.
About the D44A, they had many problems with noise, bearing wear etc, so if you go that route make sure the people putting it in for you know how to set it up right. Back in the old days on JU there were complaints about that axle like every week, supposedly it was bad set up from the factory.
__________________
2007 WK Limited Hemi QDII
1998 ZJ Laredo 4.0 Selectrac
LouC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 03:07 PM   #19
Bigdjs123
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Parma, Ohio
Posts: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouC View Post
What are you using this jeep for? If its just street driving and light duty off road the D35 is not going to self destruct unless someone let all the oil run out of it. I have the OE one in mine still, same bearings gears etc 15 years 145,000 miles some of that towing boats up very steep hills. Used syn gear oil from the beginning.
If you are doing more hard core off road then yes the D35 is not the axle to use long term.
About the D44A, they had many problems with noise, bearing wear etc, so if you go that route make sure the people putting it in for you know how to set it up right. Back in the old days on JU there were complaints about that axle like every week, supposedly it was bad set up from the factory.
Would a super 35 kit in it with all new bearing and such be as strong as a 44a? In the future it will be lifted on no more than 33s so whatever I put there I don't want to worry about it again
Bigdjs123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 03:09 PM   #20
PolkaPower
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Abyss, MD
Posts: 15,992
Super 35 will run 33's no problem. Expensive though. If you are thinking about that then just put in an 8.8 from and Exploder. Much better in the long run, less expensive, and easy to find parts for.

I ran 33's on my D 35 for several years without breaking it. I wasn't easy on it in the mud either. I did tear up the front D 30 though. My D44a had bad carrier bearings when I bought it. I drove it like that for about a year until the noise was intolerable and it cost about 700 bucks to replace the carrier bearings and rebuild the factory trac lok. That was around 7 months ago. It's been fine since. If you can find one in good shape and put a truss on it you can run 35's with no problem.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 03:43 PM   #21
Bigdjs123
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Parma, Ohio
Posts: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Super 35 will run 33's no problem. Expensive though. If you are thinking about that then just put in an 8.8 from and Exploder. Much better in the long run, less expensive, and easy to find parts for.

I ran 33's on my D 35 for several years without breaking it. I wasn't easy on it in the mud either. I did tear up the front D 30 though. My D44a had bad carrier bearings when I bought it. I drove it like that for about a year until the noise was intolerable and it cost about 700 bucks to replace the carrier bearings and rebuild the factory trac lok. That was around 7 months ago. It's been fine since. If you can find one in good shape and put a truss on it you can run 35's with no problem.
That's what I wanna do but I don't have access to a welder and I don't think they're are any shops around me that would put the brackets on for me. Unless a driveline shop would?
Bigdjs123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 03:56 PM   #22
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget
 
underpowered's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: northern kentucky
Posts: 2,634
IMO, the d35 would be fine. it has a worse rap than deserved IMO.

but if you want the upgrade, the d44a is a decent choice as long as you don't plan on upgrading it much as aftermarket support is lacking.

as for the drive shaft, anyone with a welder and an angle grinder can shorten it with ease. and not a hack job shortening either, the proper way. shortening a drive shaft is much simpler than many make it seem like.
__________________
1998 ZJ 2" bb and 31's. street queen but sees the woods once in a while.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 04:10 PM   #23
PolkaPower
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Abyss, MD
Posts: 15,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdjs123 View Post
That's what I wanna do but I don't have access to a welder and I don't think they're are any shops around me that would put the brackets on for me. Unless a driveline shop would?
Drive line shops do all that. They will balance the shaft as well after correcting the length. Word of mouth is the best way to find a good shop. Ask around.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 04:34 PM   #24
Bigdjs123
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Parma, Ohio
Posts: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post

Drive line shops do all that. They will balance the shaft as well after correcting the length. Word of mouth is the best way to find a good shop. Ask around.
Will do thank you
Bigdjs123 is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.