I REALLY need some advice - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > I REALLY need some advice

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 05-07-2010, 08:10 PM   #16
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Maybe the ECM will fix it. The tach going crazy with no other gauges jumping around sounds like the crank or cam sensor, but could possibly be the ECM. I think everyone with a ZJ any year model should have a spare ECM/PCM for troubleshooting purposes. The OEMs are at the end of their service life.

I found that the connection to the cam sensor was flakey on mine. Best thing to do is wiggle all the connections around while it's idling and see if you get a stall.

ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2010, 08:48 PM   #17
lasvegas
1995 ZJ 

That's a good idea. When my PCM gets back, even if it does run good, I will jiggle wires around a little to make sure all is good. I am checking all my grounds while the PCM is being fixed too.
lasvegas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2010, 08:49 AM   #18
schizm99
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I had a BroncoII that had this same problem.. Being a standard it drove off by it self one rainy night!! (true)
front lunch box lockers w/posi-lok
uniden cb, gt steering wheel, 4.10 gears
and anything else homemade
schizm99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2010, 10:22 AM   #19
Midnightluckey
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by schizm99 View Post
I had a BroncoII that had this same problem.. Being a standard it drove off by it self one rainy night!! (true)
That would suck so freaking much. What happened to it? Tree?
95 Limited Chargold ZJ 5.2L -5.5" lift (IRO, Ironman, and RC parts), 33" BFG M/T's, 15x8 procomp crawlers, 242 swap, 2 12" subs, 1000w amp, cherry bomb, full skid package, Kevins rear stealth bumper clone w 3/4" D rings, Rlcwelding front bumper w 3/8" D rings, XRC-8, front tow hooks, 2 daylighter fairlead lights, 2 daylighter windsheild lights, 2 55w driving lights, OBA, Cobra 18 CB, dual 4' whips, RC disconnects, smittybuilt jack, optima yellowtop.
Built not bought #512
Midnightluckey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2010, 09:35 PM   #20
classicmetalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasvegas View Post
Just an update if any of you are looking for a "MOPAR ORIGINAL" part for a reasonable price.
I called them and they assured me this was a Mopar part. The dealer wanted $120.00 plus tax!

Original Replacement Parts 56027280 - Crank Position Sensor for 93-96 Jeep® Grand Cherokee ZJ with 4.0L Engine & Automatic Transmission - Quadratec
Good find if true

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphydajeep View Post
I say you should still hit something just to let it know you mean business, or shake a hammer at it in a menacing fashion
classicmetalman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2010, 08:56 AM   #21
lasvegas
1995 ZJ 

Curious to know how many mile people are getting on their JPC 4.0 before it blows
Unread 05-10-2010, 09:46 AM   #22
dels383ta
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasvegas View Post
Just an update if any of you are looking for a "MOPAR ORIGINAL" part for a reasonable price.
I called them and they assured me this was a Mopar part. The dealer wanted $120.00 plus tax!

Original Replacement Parts 56027280 - Crank Position Sensor for 93-96 Jeep® Grand Cherokee ZJ with 4.0L Engine & Automatic Transmission - Quadratec
Quadratec Gets there parts from CROWN Automotive, who are a dealer of nothing but Jeep parts, and they are all factory replacement I am told. But they dont sell to the public, have to be a business to buy from them.
Rubicon Express 3.5",5.2 Swap,LP10K Superwinch/7/16 syn line,RE Adj Track Bar and Drop Bracket,Hercules Trail Digges 33x12.50, D Windows ,HI Lift,Custom built Rad Support,D44 Rear w/ spool,HP30Aussie Locked , Alloy USA Tube seals, Custom rear bumper,More to come.
dels383ta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2010, 11:11 PM   #23
lasvegas
1995 ZJ 

PCM Rebuilt...still shutting off!!!

Well, I got my PCM back and put it in and cleaned all my ground wires and even replaced one of them....nothing! It started up great and ran for about 15-20 min. then tach went crazy then shut down. CE light came on so I checked the codes with the 3 turns method and NO codes. ??? Do these GC's have an ignition module? My van did the same thing and that fixed it years ago. HHHEEEEELLLLLLLPPPPPPP!
Unread 05-18-2010, 12:14 PM   #24
lasvegas
1995 ZJ 

O.K., so I got my computer back and it started up and ran GREAT! BUT......I had to disconnect the battery to fix some of the wires on the stereo (just being safe) and when I finished I reconnected the battery and heard a little pop. Now it's back to running like crap and shutting off. I know what your thinking...why didn't you fix the radio when the PCM was out being fixed? Stupid here has been so busy doing other things that I forgot about it. So this weekend A friend and I are going to fix it. Anyone had this happen?
Unread 05-18-2010, 12:45 PM   #25
fireemsjeep
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Did you check all your fuses??? If you heard a pop that might be a fuse ending its life.
fireemsjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2010, 02:48 PM   #26
lasvegas
1995 ZJ 

Checked them all...all look good...this sucks! LOL
Unread 05-18-2010, 08:12 PM   #27
classicmetalman

Relay maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphydajeep View Post
I say you should still hit something just to let it know you mean business, or shake a hammer at it in a menacing fashion
classicmetalman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2010, 08:47 PM   #28
lasvegas
1995 ZJ 

Switched relays between A/C and Fuel Pump thinking that too....no luck. Thanks though
Unread 05-18-2010, 08:51 PM   #29
fireemsjeep
1993 XJ Cherokee 

get a shot gun and shoot at it. it might be the best option at this rate.
fireemsjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2010, 01:10 PM   #30
dmask0
1977 CJ5 

hey lasvegas,
i have '98 4.0 with all the same probs as yours... went through changing all the same parts, including the new computer ($$$). jeep drove fine for about a day with the new pcm (i was so freaking happy), but then it stalled again in an intersection (my heart dropped through to the floor). lucky me i got a code, so i limped straight to AZ and got the O2 lean bank reading.
i put in a new front (mopar) O2 sensor (rumors suggest they don't care for the less expensive ones for very long), and all my problems have been solved for the past 6 months. no more stalling, hesitation, etc.
btw, i didn't bother to change the rear O2 sensor yet (i'm cheap), but i'll get to it sometime this summer.
hoping this might help you, too. good luck.
dmask0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
engine , ignition , shut off , stall

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.