I REALLY need some advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > I REALLY need some advice

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 05-04-2010, 04:36 PM   #1
lasvegas
1995 ZJ 

I REALLY need some advice

I have a 95 JGC 4.0 2 wheel drive. I have the infamous shut off problem but I have....changed the plugs, cap, & rotor and added a ground strap from block to firewall, put (2) CPS sensors, TPS, and still no improvement. I am at my wits end and short on money to figure this out. Now I am trying to decide where best to spend my money. I can have my computer rebuilt or spend the money at the shop to diagnose the problem. I can't afford to have them diagnose and fix it, so I'm not sure whether I should spend it on the computer. Is there an ignition module that might be going out? I had a 92 van that kept shutting off and it was the ignition module. Someone please HELP. Thanks

lasvegas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2010, 06:22 PM   #2
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasvegas View Post
I have the infamous shut off problem
When does it shut off?

What do the gauges do?

Any codes?
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2010, 07:09 PM   #3
lasvegas
1995 ZJ 

It does it when it warms up. I did manage to get a CPS code once and PCM code another time. I have replaced the CPS twice since then but not the PCM. It does it while driving and just shuts down. Just before dying the tach guage goes crazy and after it dies it keeps going wild for about a good 30 seconds or longer. Does this sound like the PCM? Thanks
Unread 05-04-2010, 07:11 PM   #4
lasvegas
1995 ZJ 

Oh, by the way, I checked the codes the other day and just got a 55. Doesnt make any sense to me that it sometimes has codes and other times gives a 55
Unread 05-04-2010, 09:30 PM   #5
jp88
1996 ZJ 

Does your vic by chance reset when this happens? ie do you have to reset the time and date

If so You may want to check the battery and the cables/connectors from the battery negative. I had a battery with a intermittent internal connection issue that caused me some similar problems.
Unread 05-04-2010, 09:33 PM   #6
lasvegas
1995 ZJ 

Sorry, what is vic?
Unread 05-04-2010, 09:46 PM   #7
jp88
1996 ZJ 

vehicle information center. The purpose of the specific question was to see if you were having some sort of voltage related issue.
Unread 05-04-2010, 09:58 PM   #8
lasvegas
1995 ZJ 

Oh Ok. My jeep doesn't have the vic. I wish it did because I see what you mean by the voltage issue. The stock stereo was also removed and replaced with a different one that doesnt work so I cant use that as a guide either. Any other ideas? Thank a bunch!
Unread 05-04-2010, 10:04 PM   #9
jp88
1996 ZJ 

If the battery is old I would consider changing it. I would certainly check and clean both batery terminals and all ground connections. (battery to chassis, battery to block,)

Those would be the first 2 things I would think about. The electronics in these vehicles seem to be VERY sensitive to battery conection issues.
Unread 05-04-2010, 10:11 PM   #10
lasvegas
1995 ZJ 

I replaced the battery with a brand new one and cleaned the terminals real good when I put it back in....but....I have not checked from battery to block(neg-) or (pos+) to starter though. I will be sure to check those in the morning. I did add a ground from the block to the firewall.
Unread 05-06-2010, 01:59 PM   #11
lasvegas
1995 ZJ 

I just sent off the PCM to get rebuilt today...hope that helps. Any other ideas? Thanks
Unread 05-06-2010, 11:07 PM   #12
classicmetalman

I had the same symptoms (shutting down) and was leaning towards the PCM. Replaced the Crank sensor with an aftermarket one n cured for a short time then back to the same. Checked all the connections and cleaned what I could. Did notice that I could shut it down while running if I wiggled the connection between the Crank sensor and PCM. Broke down n bought a factory Crank sensor from the dealer and all is well again, a perfect fit. Apparently from I've been reading in JF, these GC's are very picky about relays, sensors and such. Only wants Mopar stuff, oh well. Not sure if you said you used dealer or aftermarket sensors, but just a thought. Good luck n let us know if your rebuilt PCM works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphydajeep View Post
I say you should still hit something just to let it know you mean business, or shake a hammer at it in a menacing fashion
classicmetalman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2010, 07:35 AM   #13
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasvegas View Post
I just sent off the PCM to get rebuilt today...hope that helps. Any other ideas? Thanks
I hope you didn't use an outfit in Illinois... they cant fix a Jeep computer...
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2010, 11:13 AM   #14
lasvegas
1995 ZJ 

Thanks for the advice. Both CPS's were aftermarket unfortuneately. If after getting the PCM back with no improvement, I will buy a dealer CPS. I have heard the same thing you are saying about the dealer part vs. aftermarket. Also, my PCM was shipped to a company in Davie Florida...hope they are good, heard great things about them. The gel on the board had tons of cracks in it, especially around ALL 3 resistors, so I am assuming water had gotten in and shorted one or more out.
Unread 05-07-2010, 07:24 PM   #15
lasvegas
1995 ZJ 

Just an update if any of you are looking for a "MOPAR ORIGINAL" part for a reasonable price.
I called them and they assured me this was a Mopar part. The dealer wanted $120.00 plus tax!

Original Replacement Parts 56027280 - Crank Position Sensor for 93-96 Jeep® Grand Cherokee ZJ with 4.0L Engine & Automatic Transmission - Quadratec

Tags
engine , ignition , shut off , stall

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.