I need your opinions on a Trans question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > I need your opinions on a Trans question

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-06-2003, 03:15 PM   #1
sam270

I need your opinions on a Trans question

Greetings - My trans has been slipping between 2nd and 3rd (1994 GC, 6 Cyl, Auto 4x4). My mechanic ran some tests and reports that his equipment tells him the band between 2nd and 3rd has a wide gap that needs to be tightened. He warns this may or may not correct the problem. This will cost $150. Should I gamble and pay the 150 or bite the bullet and go for the rebuild?
Thanks. Sam

BTW - What's a good price for a rebuild. I'm hearing anything from 1100 to 2400.

sam270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2003, 07:16 PM   #2
ZR7 Ken

I doubt that you have a band problem. The change that takes place from 2nd to 3rd is the engagement of the forward clutch pack. Actually, this is a somewhat common problem with "RE" transmissions. The piston seals wear out at an accelerated rate and cause an RPM flareup from 2nd to 3rd, or no 3rd gear at all. There is an updated forward clutch assembly (from Mopar) available that uses a different style piston and drum.
As this requires removal of the transmission, I'd at least check the other clutch packs and replace the seals while I was in there. Flushing the trans cooler is strongly recommended.

I have no idea about prices. I just work on them; the service writers deal with the money

I'm just putting in my opinion; as I have not actually driven or worked on your Jeep, I couldn't be absolutely sure that the forward clutch is the problem.

Hope I helped
Ken
ZR7 Ken is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.