I need some help and advice on what to do...... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > I need some help and advice on what to do......

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsJK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!

Unread 04-17-2010, 09:22 PM   #1
bensminger2003
1994 ZJ 

I need some help and advice on what to do......

Hi everyone, semi-proud owner of a 94 Grand with the V-8 and Quadra-Trac 4wd system. Has a lil over 174k on the clock. The person I bought this vehicle off basically hacked it back together after it was in a wreck. Has an R title. I took it to Firestone the other day and basically found out it needs over 4k in repairs! This is what all they said it needed:

1) Track Bar
2) LF Axle Joint (does that mean new cv shaft???)
3) LF Pitman Arm and bushings
4) Steering Box (about 2+ inches of play in steering)
5) Center Link
6) Steering Damper
7) CAT Converter
8) Power Steering Pump
9) Power Steering Pressure Hose
10) Muffler
11) Both Rear Wheel Cylinders (both are leaking)

Also, had them check to see why the ABS light is on and they came up with the following codes:

#25 Main relay power failure - What does this mean??
#30 LF Speed Sensor failure (can i buy just the sensor or is it in the whole hub assy???)

In addition to all of this, the air bag was never replaced when it was deployed, so the AIR BAG light is also on all the time along with the ABS light. The front bumper was replaced, but they replaced it with one that dont have the factory fog lights, but yet mine has the option for them.

Every now and then I get error messages on the VIC for BAD COOLANT/WASHER sensors. Also the back lift-gate dont open any more!

Other than all of this, I have put roughly 6k on the clock and the tranny, t-case and engine all seem to run real well and is very reliable so far.

I priced the steering/suspension/ABS Parts at Auto Zone and am coming in at roughly 1k for all the needed parts. Is this vehicle worth all that? Should I just sell it and find something else? I dont know what to do cause its my only vehicle right now.

bensminger2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2010, 09:44 PM   #2
casey_doyle5
1996 ZJ 

I guess that depends on how much you like the Jeep. A lot of the stuff that you need to replace is stuff that wears out anyways over time, and people on here that build Jeeps to make them tougher than stock will replace those things anyways.

So if you got the Jeep for cheap, and the engine and drivetrain are in great shape, I think it would be reasonable to invest the money to replace all that stuff. I wouldn't spend $4,000 though. I'd rather buy the parts at cost, and then learn to install them before paying 3k at a shop.

P.S. The "bad coolant sensor" alert flashes on mine from time to time. I wouldn't worry about it
casey_doyle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2010, 09:50 PM   #3
bensminger2003
1994 ZJ 

ok thanks for the reply!! What I really would like to find out now is about the ABS system. Is the wheel sensors in the front just stand alone sensors that can be replaced or are we talking replacing the whole wheel bearing assembly? Also, do I really need a new ABS Unit?? Thats what I was told to get to fix the "main relay power failure" issue?
Unread 04-17-2010, 11:06 PM   #4
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

How badly was it wrecked?

I don't trust Uni-body vech.'s much after they have been in a wreck.

Phit
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2010, 11:49 PM   #5
bensminger2003
1994 ZJ 

i dont know how bad...all i really know is it has a reconstructed title.
Unread 04-18-2010, 12:19 AM   #6
newfieZJ
Jeep Collector

1995 ZJ 

why is the pitman arm bad ? And what bushings ?

I bet the play in the steering is more from the track bar and "center link" other than the steering box . If the steering damper is leaking , a new one will make it feel better . The power steering hose obviously must be leaking , but , what's wrong with the pump ?

Both rear wheel cylinders ? I'm confused , doesn't the v8 ltd. have rear disc in 94 ? Probably the rear axle seals instead , or , do you have bad brakes ?

Does the cat rattle ? If not , I'd leave it . Mufflers are cheap if you stay stock . Cheap cats are available on ebay .

As for the ABS , start with cleaning the sensor first . It is adjustable , get it as close as possible without scrapping the tone ring . Sensors are available separately .

Because of the jeeps history , I'd be suspect of the sensors on the front bumper . They may have gotton disconnected . Other than that , a DRB scan tool is needed to diagnos the air bag system (SRS)

compare your prices to rockauto.com , they are pretty good . Stay away from bargain parts on the frt end , MooG , TRW and Spicer are names you want , after all , you want to fix the problem .
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2010, 03:25 AM   #7
bensminger2003
1994 ZJ 

mine is a v-8 laredo and has rear drum brakes....in features it almost seems like i have a limited lol but i dont have the leather seats. Anyways, I know the CAT and Muffler are bad cause they showed me when I was at the shop getting it all checked out. They both were pretty much rusted through and they banged on the CAT and it made the same rattling noise it makes when I first start it up. As to the suspension, the pitman arm was loose on the driver front when the mechanic grabbed on it and wiggled it. As to the bushings, he could have been meaning elsewhere. I'm not too sure, I thought that maybe pitman arms took bushings. On the power steering, it has a couple cracks in the pressure hose, but I even honestly dont know why I need a new pump?? I put fluid in it a lot but when it has fluid it works the way it should. Also the steering box was loose according to them as well. They practically made me sign a dozen release forms in order to drive the jeep back home. They said my steering could go out at any time.

Now for the AirBag system, I had mentioned before that it was in a wreck. Well whoever replaced the front end parts failed to replace the air bag itself. Instead I have 2 flaps sewed together where the airbag popped out of it. I am not sure on how to replace that and I need to know if I should just get another steering column from the bone yard with another airbag already in it????? Also, I dont even know if there is still an airbag sensor in the front bumper or not or if it needs to be replaced once it deploys an airbag. A lot of this i really dont know and need some good solid advice on cause I gotta get this thing to pass PA inspection. Also, If I get the airbag and all that fixed, do I need to have a special scan tool to shut the air bag light off or will it go out once i put back on the air bag and the sensor if that also needs replaced???

I really appreciate all the advice so far!!!!!
Unread 04-18-2010, 05:11 AM   #8
rescuejeeper

Yeah.....take the advice given above and get your own parts!

I use RockAuto Auto Parts I think their prices are VERY good compared to local auto stores. There are A LOT of videos on you tube detailing repairs, plus many useful articles found here.

Go get a chilton repair manual, some tools and do a little bit here and there.

ROME WAS NOT BUILT IN A DAY!

As a Jeep owner you will find that you are NEVER done! Its like owning a house, there is ALWAYS something to do
1995 XJ 4.0 AUTO build up in progress
1993 ZJ 4.0 AUTO all stock
1989 YJ 4.2 5 Speed 4" BDS 1" Body Lift 15x8 33" MT's Regretfully Sold
rescuejeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2010, 06:35 AM   #9
coonash

1969 FSJ Wagoneer 

First of all, look where you brought it to. Check out Firestones history online.
This is an online forum, and the written word is the primary method of communication. If you make an effort to communicate clearly, people will be willing to communicate in return. If you don't make an effort, I don't see why I should - write like an idiot, and I'm going to think you're an idiot, that's just how things work.
USN Jeep Club Number 41
coonash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2010, 12:56 PM   #10
bensminger2003
1994 ZJ 

I looked up firestones history and all I could really come up with is the fact they are mainly a tire place. The place I went to say they specialize in steering and suspension but I do see what u are saying!! Thanks soo much to rescuejeeper and newfieZJ for referring me to rock auto!! Their prices are a lot lower than advance auto and auto zone on a lot of things!

Ive pretty much decided to go ahead and keep it and fix it as I can. Now 2 questions I really need answered:

1) What do u guys have to say about my air bag system that I described about in my last post??? This I REALLY need to find out about.

2) Regarding ABS, I was informed about a code #25 which they say means a main relay power failure. They told me that I need a new ABS computer and that it would be over $2k to fix cause it has to be programmed to my specific Jeep???? For one, do I really need a new ABS computer due to that fault, and if so, cant I just get a new one from AutoZone for $99.00 and just plug it in? Or could the main relay power failure be pertaining to something else like in the relay itself??
Unread 04-18-2010, 06:02 PM   #11
newfieZJ
Jeep Collector

1995 ZJ 

The airbag is only 4 screws behind the steering wheel . No doubt , the busted AB is your problem . Sorry , misread your post , thought it did not deploy . You may need to have a DRB tool to clear the light , maybe not . Used parts should be very easy to get a scrapyards .

easiest fix for the ABS is to remove the light in the dash . Of course , you could take the ABS computer off , clean the connections , also , sort of crimp them for better contact . Hit it with dielectric grease and plug it back in , it's worked before
Unread 04-18-2010, 07:59 PM   #12
bigbill888
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensminger2003 View Post
In addition to all of this, the air bag was never replaced when it was deployed, so the AIR BAG light is also on all the time along with the ABS light. .
I have an airbag from a 95 ZJ. It can be had cheap. I think it is the same as 94, but not 100% sure.
All work well
bigbill888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2010, 09:53 PM   #13
bensminger2003
1994 ZJ 

thanks soo much for the replies everyone!! I never knew the airbag would be soo easy to replace! So I just take the screws out, disconnect the wires, then reconnect the wires to the "new" one, and screw the thing back in. I could do that no prob I would think.

As to the ABS, I have had other cars where I have really loved having it when driving in the snow, so that also is something I really would like to get fixed. I will do the trick you said about bettering the connection on the ABS computer after I try the same with the driver front wheel sensor. I am hoping its just bad/dirty connections.

This info has been soo helpful so far and I really appreciate it!
Unread 04-19-2010, 01:03 AM   #14
GAWJJeep

The airbag module in the steering wheel can be replaced as mentioned, there is also a clock spring in the steering wheel that should be replaced.

In addition to the sensors in the bumper, there is also a sensor located in the airbag control module, which is under the console.

The ABS light will have to be cleared by someone with a scan tool. Once you replace the airbag I would find a dealer and ask them to clear the code first, and see if the light comes back on. Also, it might be a good idea to find a reputable dealer, and stay away from that Firestone.

Once you try cleaning everything, and adding grease, if that doesn't work the wheel speed sensors can be replaced individually. They are located by the steering knuckle. The dealer part number is 5600 5216; they come in sets of 2. I am sure you could probably get one single sensor from Autozone, or a junkyard.

Good luck.
GAWJJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 04:24 AM   #15
newfieZJ
Jeep Collector

1995 ZJ 

one more IMP. note , disconnect the battery whenever working on the air bags .

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.