I need some advice - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 25 Old 10-25-2016, 09:00 AM
PolkaPower
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Abyss
Posts: 21,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj View Post

You mean strength issue? Yeap, the uppers will bend if you pull them from the Jeep and twist with your bare hands. But lowers get to see rock rash, and they don't handle that well at all

When I pulled all eight CAs from my jeep after wheeling it on fairly easy trails for a few months, I had 7 out of 8 bent. Only one rear UCA had survived more or less in good condition.
Stock lower mounts are flimsy too. They will fold or rip off in a light breeze.
Good idea to weld skids onto them if not replace entirely.

PolkaPower is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 25 Old 10-25-2016, 11:08 AM
PCsZJ
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 224
Message a member named kolak. Good stuff and good prices.
I like IRO 3.5 lift with 31's.
PCsZJ is offline  
post #18 of 25 Old 10-25-2016, 11:22 AM
PolkaPower
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Abyss
Posts: 21,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCsZJ View Post
Message a member named kolak. Good stuff and good prices.
I like IRO 3.5 lift with 31's.
Whats the point in 3.5" for 31's when you can fit them with 2" and keep a lower cog?
PolkaPower is online now  
 
post #19 of 25 Old 10-25-2016, 12:10 PM
tjcustomranger
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Liberty Lake
Posts: 2,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj View Post

You mean strength issue? Yeap, the uppers will bend if you pull them from the Jeep and twist with your bare hands. But lowers get to see rock rash, and they don't handle that well at all

When I pulled all eight CAs from my jeep after wheeling it on fairly easy trails for a few months, I had 7 out of 8 bent. Only one rear UCA had survived more or less in good condition.
I drag my lowers through whatever cause honestly i don't give a **** about the control arms and they are beat to hell and tweaked with all kinda of scrapes but they arent broken or effecting drivability.

I broke 2 sets of uppers then built some and ****ed my upper mounts
tjcustomranger is offline  
post #20 of 25 Old 10-25-2016, 12:11 PM
tjcustomranger
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Liberty Lake
Posts: 2,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post

Stock lower mounts are flimsy too. They will fold or rip off in a light breeze.
Good idea to weld skids onto them if not replace entirely.
My lower mounts are slightly tweaked inwards on themselves haha. I have to put new ones on
tjcustomranger is offline  
post #21 of 25 Old 10-25-2016, 12:12 PM
tjcustomranger
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Liberty Lake
Posts: 2,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post

Whats the point in 3.5" for 31's when you can fit them with 2" and keep a lower cog?
In my area a bb doesn't do **** for you so i had to go to 3.5 and it gave just enough extra travel to,get through the trails without skinny pedal.

But i went to 32x11.5 not 31s.

I will soon be on 35s, 3.5 and front long arms
tjcustomranger is offline  
post #22 of 25 Old 10-25-2016, 02:23 PM
PCsZJ
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Whats the point in 3.5" for 31's when you can fit them with 2" and keep a lower cog?

That is what I like.
PCsZJ is offline  
post #23 of 25 Old 10-25-2016, 02:32 PM
PolkaPower
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Abyss
Posts: 21,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCsZJ View Post

That is what I like.
Well that's wrong. Haha just kidding.
PolkaPower is online now  
post #24 of 25 Old 10-25-2016, 02:50 PM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler
 
Timo_90xj's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Posts: 8,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcustomranger View Post
I drag my lowers through whatever cause honestly i don't give a **** about the control arms and they are beat to hell and tweaked with all kinda of scrapes but they arent broken or effecting drivability.
My LCAs were twisted enough (other was S- shaped, other was.. well.. bent) for the axle to be slightly diagonally under the Jeep. The front LCAs also started to rip apart. In addition to that, they are just crap as is..


As for the CA mounts, so far I've halfway ripped off both my OEM front LCA frameside mounts (replaced with DIY stronger ones + frame plating on that area), both front UCA frameside mounts were partially cracked off from the uniframe (re-welded and strengthened), one front axle LCA bracket on the original LPD30 bent slightly. About a month ago I noticed my drivers' rear UCA frame mount is almost fully cracked off from the uniframe.

These damn grocery- getters don't like wheeling..

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline  
post #25 of 25 Old 10-25-2016, 02:59 PM
tjcustomranger
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Liberty Lake
Posts: 2,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj View Post

My LCAs were twisted enough (other was S- shaped, other was.. well.. bent) for the axle to be slightly diagonally under the Jeep. The front LCAs also started to rip apart. In addition to that, they are just crap as is..

As for the CA mounts, so far I've halfway ripped off both my OEM front LCA frameside mounts (replaced with DIY stronger ones + frame plating on that area), both front UCA frameside mounts were partially cracked off from the uniframe (re-welded and strengthened), one front axle LCA bracket on the original LPD30 bent slightly. About a month ago I noticed my drivers' rear UCA frame mount is almost fully cracked off from the uniframe.

These damn grocery- getters don't like wheeling..
The stock lowers are junk but they typically outlast the uppers.

My rear ones are fine, I'm done with short arms in the front so the mounts can suck a dick
tjcustomranger is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome