I need shock help. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > I need shock help.

Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops and

Unread 04-06-2009, 11:19 PM   #1
04-WJ

I need shock help.

I have a 2004 WJ. I need to replace the shocks. I have searched for over a week, but i still come up at a loss. I dont do alot of wheeling so i am in no need of a lift. I hit the average amount of gravel roads and slight washouts etc on my way to the shooting range.

I have looked at the Rancho 5000, ProComp ES9000, Skyjacker Nitro, and the usual selection of shocks on Autozone and Advance auto parts. What is your alls oppinion of these? I dont want to go over say 50.00 bucks a shock. What has everyone else used that is for stock height?

Am i missing any other brands that i should be looking at? Can you also recomend a good place to buy from?

I thank you all for your time and info.

John

04-WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2009, 11:24 PM   #2
gatorayde
1999 WJ 

I had some KYB gas adjusts at stock height, they were pretty cheap and rode really nice.
gatorayde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2009, 11:37 PM   #3
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

Many on here will recommend black diamonds. Personally I'm very happy with my Rancho RSX shocks, though if I were to do it again, I'd save a few bucks and get the Rancho RS5000's because they have a stiffer ride.

You say you don't do much wheeling, but if you do absolutely any at all, or just want to make the WJ look a heck of a lot better, I'd really recommend spending the $80 or so on a used budget boost since you're doing shocks anyway. The extra two inches really really improves the overall look of the WJ, will help with wheeling, and doesn't increase the price of the shocks. Just something to think about so you don't regret spending the money on stock length shocks and then realizing a budget boost would have been an awesome idea.
2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here: Life lessons and budget build
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2009, 11:46 PM   #4
04-WJ

My jeep is the same color as yours. Green metallic, it looks really nice when it is clean. I have been thinking about the BB. I just dont want to have to worry about the DW afterwards.

Whick model Blackdiamonds will work? Thanks agin for your time.

John
04-WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2009, 11:51 PM   #5
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

I wouldn't try to order Black Diamonds right now unless you have time to kill, they are back ordered for at least 1 month due to demand.

WJ, WK, CJ5

Colorado Jeep Club Member #188
GraKee99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2009, 12:24 AM   #6
TX02WJ
2002 WJ 

check out the classified here...a lot of people are constantly upgrading their jeeps and post their used shocks for sale...sometimes they are near new condition. Worth a try if you are bargain shopping.
Unread 04-08-2009, 12:58 AM   #7
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04-WJ View Post
My jeep is the same color as yours. Green metallic, it looks really nice when it is clean. I have been thinking about the BB. I just dont want to have to worry about the DW afterwards.

Whick model Blackdiamonds will work? Thanks agin for your time.

John
Heh, I don't think so... Jeep didn't invent that color till 2007.. I had mine painted

The BB is extremely unlikely to cause death wobble. If you get DW from lifting 2 inches, you have severe problems to begin with.
2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here: Life lessons and budget build
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2009, 09:34 AM   #8
coupleofjeeps
1992 YJ Wrangler 

buy the BB used, you'll get it for like 50cents on the dollar

do it at the same time as the shocks, if you've been thinking about it already, nows the ideal time if you're getting shocks anyway... doing it later will only waste you more $$
coupleofjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.