I need pitman shaft main bearing - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > I need pitman shaft main bearing

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 01-15-2013, 06:20 PM   #16
Smokey1r
1997 ZJ 

Well finally got an answer from my local car quest, they said they were able to cross reference the part but they couldn't find any availability of the part and suggested i go to Napa and inquire as they will most likely have the part.....

Otherwise it was too much on them to dig a little further lol!!!!!

Ill go to Napa across town and inquire tomorrow and see if i get any results or get brushed off?

Stay tuned!

Smokey1r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2013, 10:49 AM   #17
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

Hope NAPA is of some help.

Was talking to a club member who does alot of steering gear rebuilds and he mentioned the early sector shaft bearing can be used but it's a pita to position correctly in the later housings. I'm seriously considering going to the u-pull and grabbing an early (pre96) box that has little to no lateral sector shaft play, and ordering the Edelmann kit appropriate for it.
OverlandZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2013, 10:59 PM   #18
Smokey1r
1997 ZJ 

Well I went to the Napa across town and gave the part numbers for the bearing and the guy worked hard digging through all his books and on line..... came up with the same part number referencing the bearing with no lip! GRRRR!!! anyways he suggests calling up the various bearing manufacturers and inquire directly to see if the bearing with the lip can be obtained.

My search will continue!, time to pull out all the resources i can find!
Unread 01-17-2013, 10:33 AM   #19
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

Smokey, did you take the part number from a lipped bearing? What is it?

I have a bud who's a Jeep parts manager.. maybe he can help.
Unread 01-17-2013, 11:29 AM   #20
Smokey1r
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverlandZJ View Post
Smokey, did you take the part number from a lipped bearing? What is it?

I have a bud who's a Jeep parts manager.. maybe he can help.
Yes i did, the lipped bearing part number is: INA SLH 12501

They crossreferenced it to a bearing which is not lipped according to the pic and the books reference diagram but has the same ID, bore and height.

Im going to dive in to my old steering gear and press the sector shaft bearing out in the odd chance it might have a different part number that can be used?.

Its worth a shot even though the parts dept. will usually only deal in the whole steering gear rather than an individual parts offering..... But who knows?, might get lucky?.
Unread 01-17-2013, 11:50 AM   #21
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

Might lead to the original manufacturer.. and then go from there.
Unread 01-18-2013, 12:10 AM   #22
Smokey1r
1997 ZJ 

I pulled the sector shaft bearing from the old steering box and this is the results.......

Same bearing!!! anyways i pulled out the new non lipped bearing i have and did some comparisons.....

The bearings are virtually the same height .... about a .010 difference.... note the BH-20 20 has more needle bearing than the SLH 12501, and yes that bearing i pulled is worn out!!!

and of course here the closeup of the BH-20 20 non lipped bearing i keep getting referenced to...

Ill continue the search for what is right now a hard to find bearing, will also be researching Delphi as it appears they own Saginaw now and see if the bearing can be cross referenced with them?.
Unread 01-18-2013, 06:32 AM   #23
Marcos
1993 ZJ 

Does the lip help retain the bearing (keeping it from slipping down) or just position it during installation? If it's the latter, couldn't you just make a spacer out of some sheet material or a slice of tubing and use that for proper installation depth?
Marcos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2013, 11:14 AM   #24
Smokey1r
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
Does the lip help retain the bearing (keeping it from slipping down) or just position it during installation? If it's the latter, couldn't you just make a spacer out of some sheet material or a slice of tubing and use that for proper installation depth?
Even though the bearing is pressed into the bore the lip acts as a positional retainer as the seals spacer and snap ring go over it locking it into place.
The lip is part of the overall height of the bearing and adding in a spacer to take its place wouldn't work as the bearing would then be lower in the bore than intended and could cause possible interference with the sector shaft.

Its completely doable for the BH-20 20 to be used but the bearing would have to be pressed in partially to make up for the height the lip so the pressure seal would sit in the correct position... Ill also explore the concept of the spacer and see if the sector shaft would allow for .050 of play on the backside?.
Unread 01-18-2013, 02:45 PM   #25
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey1r View Post
Even though the bearing is pressed into the bore the lip acts as a positional retainer as the seals spacer and snap ring go over it locking it into place.
The lip is part of the overall height of the bearing and adding in a spacer to take its place wouldn't work as the bearing would then be lower in the bore than intended and could cause possible interference with the sector shaft.

Its completely doable for the BH-20 20 to be used but the bearing would have to be pressed in partially to make up for the height the lip so the pressure seal would sit in the correct position... Ill also explore the concept of the spacer and see if the sector shaft would allow for .050 of play on the backside?.

Smokey, would it be possible to approximate the BH-20-20 bearing position, then install the seal/spacer and snapring. Then from the opposite end (overcenter plate?) use a brass drift to make sure the bearing is seated tightly towards the snapring?

I havent been in one yet so i'm unsure..
Unread 01-18-2013, 02:53 PM   #26
sevenscrew
1997 ZJ 

Yea that's possible

in the works: lp30 + 8.8 build to 4.88s + wj swap
sevenscrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2013, 10:19 PM   #27
Smokey1r
1997 ZJ 

Driving the bearing in with a driver that is just slightly smaller than the bore its self should allow for the bearing to be driven to the bottom of the bore and parallel to the top of where the lip is suppose to sit and no further allowing the bearing to sit right where it should be.
Unread 01-19-2013, 01:28 AM   #28
Afdude88
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey1r View Post
Driving the bearing in with a driver that is just slightly smaller than the bore its self should allow for the bearing to be driven to the bottom of the bore and parallel to the top of where the lip is suppose to sit and no further allowing the bearing to sit right where it should be.
X2

When I rebuilt my 93's gearbox I actually ended up pushing the bearing slightly into the main cavity then putting in seal, washer, seal, washer, then the retaining ring (pre 96 don't have 2 retaining rings). From there I just gentle tapped the bearing back into its bore, checking for looseness of the washers between the seals after each couple of taps. I barely (and I mean barely) tightened the seals and washers together to prevent any play from the washers. Any tighter and I was afraid of pinching seals the wrong way. This is what I had to do when I installed my new non-lipped bearing. So far no issues what so ever and the edge of the bearing is exactly where it would be if it had a lip (I made a note of bearing depth of the old part before it was removed, matched perfectly to my eyes)

1993 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.0L AW-4
Afdude88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2013, 04:56 AM   #29
nickhay13
1998 ZJ 

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007EDV5L4/ref=biss_dp_t_asn

http://ozarkindustrial.com/product/b...roller-bearing
Unread 01-19-2013, 05:46 AM   #30
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

The Schaffer group distributes INA bearings in the US. Heres a link with contacts.

http://www.inausa.com/content.schaef...ice&submitted=

Don't know if it will lead to the bearing but figured I would post it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.