I need a new radiator... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > I need a new radiator...

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-23-2009, 07:23 AM   #1
agent_J
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I need a new radiator...

I've got a buddy in Ohio looking to replace his leaky stock radiator. It's a 2000 with the V-8. Is there a higher than stock quality replacement available? If so, who's selling them? He would like to replace the current one with something that is all metal construction. Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

agent_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2009, 07:42 AM   #2
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

I went this route:
autopartswarehouse.com and got the Performance Radiator brand replacement. It arrived with a couple of the little fins bent but they were easy enough to straighten. You also may need to look over the various plugs for issues once it's in. Been good for a few years now.

I'm not aware of an all metal construction replacement.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2009, 08:40 AM   #3
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

I just picked up a new radiator at Advance. Partly because I work(ed) there, partly because it has a lifetime warranty for as long as you have your receipt. I like knowing that if it ever fails for any reason, I can get it replaced, hassle free, at no cost.
2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here: Life lessons and budget build
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2009, 09:30 AM   #4
Vanquish

Unfortunately no one makes a HD, or hi-performance all metal radiator for a WJ. I would stay away from cheap made in the far east replacement radiators,even if they come with a lifetime warantee. None of these radiators are the equivalent, or equal to the OEM radiator you are replacing. Our WJ radiators don't drop in quick or easy. You wouldn't want to do this job twice, trust me! Even wourse you wouldn't want to pay someone to do this job twice!

That being said I would go with a genuine OEM Mopar replacement radiator, you can find them for up to 40% off list at many online retailers.
Vanquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2009, 10:38 AM   #5
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

The process is not too bad but it does take awhile. Fortunately, you won't need to evacuate the AC and the shroud and radiator come out as one unit...after a little wrestling. Be sure to seperate the two carefully as you'll reuse the mounting points of the shroud on the new radiator.

Be sure to resecure the side air deflectors and the wheel well trim correctly. Here's my story: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/h...oo-hot-430453/

I sent in a write up to Keith for a sticky but it never got published for some reason and it is since been lost on my HD. Anyway, here's a fellow WJer who did a decent write up on the replacing of a 2002 model radiator. He has to evacuate the AC and a few other small differences, but it's a good write up. Here's his story: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/w...w-pics-530365/
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Unread 09-23-2009, 10:43 AM   #6
Airborne Lee
2013 JK Wrangler 

well I did find an all metal radiator once for a 4.7 WJ. It was over 500 dollars. Yes - US Dollars. That is a poor decision even with someone elses money.

I got my last two from O'Reily because the cost of shipping added to the low web prices made for only a slight savings to buy online. As many radiators as I have replaced in my WJ's I did not want to wait on replacement to ship to me on a lifetime warranty part. I wanted to be able to get it the same day. So the $20 dollar difference worked for me.
3 Previous Jeeps - 01 WJ Ltd, QD & UC - 01 WJ Ltd, QT II - 98 XJ Ltd
Airborne Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2009, 05:56 PM   #7
agent_J
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks for everyones input. I posted early this morning and spent a little time today on line looking around for my friend. I guess he's gonna have to go with whats readily available. This thing isnt even his daily driver anymore so I'm sure a standard replacement should be just fine. Thank you all for your time and advice.
agent_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2009, 06:16 PM   #8
vtgrand

hopefully the quality of yours is better then my last two. replaced it last fall, first two were faulty, this one seems to be holding up, ahaha
vtgrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2009, 08:46 PM   #9
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanquish View Post
Unfortunately no one makes a HD, or hi-performance all metal radiator for a WJ. I would stay away from cheap made in the far east replacement radiators,even if they come with a lifetime warantee. None of these radiators are the equivalent, or equal to the OEM radiator you are replacing. Our WJ radiators don't drop in quick or easy. You wouldn't want to do this job twice, trust me! Even wourse you wouldn't want to pay someone to do this job twice!

That being said I would go with a genuine OEM Mopar replacement radiator, you can find them for up to 40% off list at many online retailers.
FWIW, there are two different radiators available from advance. There is an economy version with a one year warranty. It is chinese junk. The other option is made by ready-rad, in the USA, and these are actually quality radiators. I'm not sure how much the mopar radiators cost, but I know that they don't have a lifetime warranty, so the advance radiator may still be a better option. Just something to consider.
2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Unread 09-23-2009, 09:28 PM   #10
dougy147
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double E View Post
The process is not too bad but it does take awhile. Fortunately, you won't need to evacuate the AC and the shroud and radiator come out as one unit...after a little wrestling. Be sure to seperate the two carefully as you'll reuse the mounting points of the shroud on the new radiator.

Be sure to resecure the side air deflectors and the wheel well trim correctly. Here's my story: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/h...oo-hot-430453/

I sent in a write up to Keith for a sticky but it never got published for some reason and it is since been lost on my HD. Anyway, here's a fellow WJer who did a decent write up on the replacing of a 2002 model radiator. He has to evacuate the AC and a few other small differences, but it's a good write up. Here's his story: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/w...w-pics-530365/
Just curious, but is there some drastic difference between a 2000 and 2002 that requires the removal of the bumper cover? When I pulled mine apart, i'm pretty sure I pulled the rad support, fan, then actually detached the shroud (I can't remember why) and then the rad and I don't remember it being that bad. Worst part is the fan IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the88thpianoman View Post
FWIW, there are two different radiators available from advance. There is an economy version with a one year warranty. It is chinese junk. The other option is made by ready-rad, in the USA, and these are actually quality radiators. I'm not sure how much the mopar radiators cost, but I know that they don't have a lifetime warranty, so the advance radiator may still be a better option. Just something to consider.
I also used to work at an Advance and completely agree with this. I don't remember having to return many radiators at all, and especially the lifetime warranty ones and I worked there for almost my entire undergrad so like 4 years. I know at our store at least, warranty returns were not a problem...as long as it was half way reasonable the priority was to keep the customer happy.

I'm usually a supporter of using OE parts, but sometimes the additional cost really does out weigh the benefit.
08 WK Laredo 4.7 (traded for tin can)
The Present
07 JK Unlimited Sahara
dougy147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2009, 10:14 PM   #11
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

Just checked on Advanced Auto and they Performance All-metal Radiators from
Griffin Radiators and Thermal Products
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2009, 11:58 PM   #12
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJoshxx View Post
Just checked on Advanced Auto and they Performance All-metal Radiators from
Griffin Radiators and Thermal Products
Following that link, those all metal "racing" radiators carry a warranty of 30 days. There is really no need for a racing radiator on a stock Jeep, especially one that has essentially no warranty.

Honestly, I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want to save money on a part that has a hassle-free lifetime warranty.

Edit: I'm sure they're excellent radiators, but no smart company is going to put a lifetime warranty on a product that they expect the consumer to abuse and push the limits of.

Unread 09-24-2009, 05:57 AM   #13
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

[QUOTE=dougy147;7983267]Just curious, but is there some drastic difference between a 2000 and 2002 that requires the removal of the bumper cover? When I pulled mine apart, i'm pretty sure I pulled the rad support, fan, then actually detached the shroud (I can't remember why) and then the rad and I don't remember it being that bad. Worst part is the fan IMHO.

There may be. The power steering fluid cooler has to be moved and to get to it, you have to access bolts through the front grill, plus the side air deflectors, front mounting bolts to the radiator and the top cross member that holds the hood latch have to be taken off.

One of the more significant differences in those two years was the hydraulics involved to turn the big fan.... After 2001, I understand that the PS pump was what turned it....though it makes little differrence in removing the radiator. Differences between the 4.0 and 4.7 from 2000 to 2002 is another subject too.
Unread 09-24-2009, 05:58 AM   #14
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

"Just curious, but is there some drastic difference between a 2000 and 2002 that requires the removal of the bumper cover? When I pulled mine apart, i'm pretty sure I pulled the rad support, fan, then actually detached the shroud (I can't remember why) and then the rad and I don't remember it being that bad. Worst part is the fan IMHO."

There may be. The power steering fluid cooler has to be moved and to get to it, you have to access bolts through the front grill, plus the side air deflectors, front mounting bolts to the radiator and the top cross member that holds the hood latch have to be taken off.

One of the more significant differences in those two years was the hydraulics involved to turn the big fan.... After 2001, I understand that the PS pump was what turned it....though it makes little differrence in removing the radiator. Differences between the 4.0 and 4.7 from 2000 to 2002 is another subject too.
Unread 09-24-2009, 10:22 AM   #15
Vanquish

Quote:
Originally Posted by the88thpianoman View Post
That Ready-Rad radiator you like lists for $299.00 on the Advanced websight. The genuine Mopar OEM radiator I put in my WJ listed for $333.00 and I got it for $249.99. $50.00 cheaper for a genuine OEM part! I think this is the way to go!
Vanquish is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.