I need help! Turn signal/ Turn signal switch problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > I need help! Turn signal/ Turn signal switch problem

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 09-14-2009, 10:00 PM   #1
orangepower1987
1993 XJ Cherokee 

I need help! Turn signal/ Turn signal switch problem

Hey all you Jeep Gurus,

This is my first post and I need some help. I'm a poor college student who has a great 93 Jeep Cherokee. It runs fantastic with 158k miles on it. However, one day the turn signal BROKE IN HALF while trying to signal left. It is broken right where the windshield wiper switch turns forward and backward with the wires keeping it on. Not only is it annoying and terrible looking, but I can barely use it because it takes so much to get the switch to activate. I would really like it to be fixed because this switch also has cruise control on it. I have a repair manual that shows me how to do this; I just need the turn signal and the switch along with it. Here are my options:

1: Leave it like it is and be continually annoyed with it
2: Try and fix it and spend oodles of cash trying to get the right part online

Please help! Surely I'm not the only person with this problem before!
Thanks!

Last edited by orangepower1987; 09-15-2009 at 09:50 AM..
orangepower1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2009, 09:52 AM   #2
orangepower1987
1993 XJ Cherokee 

bump back to the top. For real, I need help you guys. Lol
Unread 09-15-2009, 10:57 AM   #3
iluvtruenos
2000 WJ 

Do you have a Cherokee or Grand Cherokee?

In either case, go to a junkyard and replace the entire assembly. It takes about 5 minutes to remove using a phillips screwdriver, and you can reinstall it in the parking lot.

Total price shouldn't be over $10-15.

Rampant Pack of Retards group president.
2000 WJ, 4.5l, AX15, 242 D60/14b, 5.5" lift front, 7.5" rear. Ford Expedition rear coils, Ram 350 shocks, JKS, IRO Long Arms, cool Badlands flag thingy.
1987 XJ - Gone but not forgotten
iluvtruenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2009, 11:40 AM   #4
orangepower1987
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvtruenos View Post

In either case, go to a junkyard and replace the entire assembly. It takes about 5 minutes to remove using a phillips screwdriver, and you can reinstall it in the parking lot.

Thanks for the reply! What assembly? The steering column? I have looked at several junkyards and cannot find someone who won't sell me just the switch. My other problem is that the switch at the hinge itself is rickity and is very hard to get switched (e.g. hard to pull down to signal left/push up to signal right). I would REALLY like to get the new switch, but i will at least settle for the new turn stalk until it breaks again.
Unread 09-15-2009, 11:41 AM   #5
orangepower1987
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvtruenos View Post

Thanks for the reply! It's a Jeep Cherokee Sport I think. Definitely not a Grand. What assembly? The steering column? I have looked at several junkyards and cannot find someone who won't sell me just the switch. My other problem is that the switch at the hinge itself is rickity and is very hard to get switched (e.g. hard to pull down to signal left/push up to signal right). I would REALLY like to get the new switch, but i will at least settle for the new turn stalk until it breaks again.
Unread 09-15-2009, 12:09 PM   #6
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangepower1987 View Post
Thanks for the reply! It's a Jeep Cherokee Sport I think. Definitely not a Grand. What assembly? The steering column? I have looked at several junkyards and cannot find someone who won't sell me just the switch. My other problem is that the switch at the hinge itself is rickity and is very hard to get switched (e.g. hard to pull down to signal left/push up to signal right). I would REALLY like to get the new switch, but i will at least settle for the new turn stalk until it breaks again.
If its not a grand, you dont have a zj and are in the wrong forum. You have an xj and might get more accurate help over in the xj forum. Actually, with this specific problem, it should be pretty similar between an xj and zj, but still post it over there as well.

Back on topic, go to a you pull it yourself junk yard and tell them you are going in for some trim pieces and comeback with the stalk and switch assembly.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

KCCO
ezflip is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2009, 12:35 PM   #7
orangepower1987
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Oooo that's embarassing. Thanks anyway fellas. I'll be over here...in the XJ forum... lol
Unread 09-15-2009, 12:47 PM   #8
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

No biggy. Good luck with your Jeep

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

KCCO
ezflip is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2009, 11:19 PM   #9
iluvtruenos
2000 WJ 

It should look like the stalk (obviously) with a 1.5" cube attached to one end. That entire assembly is what I meant, it's held in place by 2-3 screws. Good luck!

Rampant Pack of Retards group president.
2000 WJ, 4.5l, AX15, 242 D60/14b, 5.5" lift front, 7.5" rear. Ford Expedition rear coils, Ram 350 shocks, JKS, IRO Long Arms, cool Badlands flag thingy.
1987 XJ - Gone but not forgotten
iluvtruenos is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.