I need a a/c compressor! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > I need a a/c compressor!

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 06-08-2008, 09:51 PM   #1
Bekim
98 5.9

I need a a/c compressor!

Hey guys, I think my ac compressor is shot. I bought a rebuilt one last year and regretted it ever since. Not only does it make noise when it kicks on, it also doesnt cool very well when the temp outside goes above 80. My buddy checked the freon and said it was full, no leaks. thats a good sign.

So should I replace the whole compressor or should I look into buying replacement parts for it such as a a/c clutch or something like that?

thanx!
Bekim

Bekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2008, 01:07 PM   #2
pushead

Did your replace the dryer and oriface at the same time as the compressor? Not doing so can lead to some issues. What did you use to vacuum it? Are you sure you got all the moisture out?
Unread 06-09-2008, 02:37 PM   #3
-cAcHe-
1996 ZJ 

yea replacing the dryer and vacuuming it is a must...i bought mine off of ebay about 4-5 months ago...and it works great...rebuilt for about 130 around there....i'll see if i can get the link when i get home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWK View Post
I like happy endings :2thumbsup:
RIP Troy Edwards (bigbluezj94)
-cAcHe- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2008, 03:21 PM   #4
pushead

Hmm if you end up needing replacement parts try jeepair.com. I just got a new compressor, oriface and dryer shipped for 250 or 350. I cant remember the exact number but it was a good deal and works great.

You didnt say how you got the moisture out?
Unread 06-09-2008, 04:42 PM   #5
nashmd454
1996 ZJ 

go to www.ackits.com that is where I got mine and works great...great prices too I thought.
If GOD gave HIS only son for us...can't we at least give HIM an hour of our time a day.

[URL]http://photobucket.com/albums/v639/nashmd454[/URL]

[url]http://groups.jeepforum.com/The_Dark_Side[/url]
nashmd454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2008, 10:30 PM   #6
Bekim
98 5.9

Hey thanx for the input guys! When my old compressor blew up last summer I had it changed as well as the reciever drier at the same time. When everything was put back together, we vacuumed the system and then filled it up with freon. It worked great! About 2 months before I replaced the ac compressor and reciever drier I did a complete ac overhaul. I replaced the evap, condensor, reciver drier, heater core, and ac lines. And i fixed that mystory condensation leak on the pass floor. Its got to be that ac compressor! Rebuilt sh*t doesnt work! Buy new and sleep better at night!

thanx
Bekim
Bekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2008, 10:46 PM   #7
-Joe-
1995 ZJ 

Just because i saw a recent thread on it.. you did add the proper amount of oil back in before closing up the system and refilling with 134a right? Just thinking that might contribute to a loud compressor..

Any warranty on the rebuilt compressor?

'95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo I6 4.0L
242TC - Extreme Engineering 2" Front Lift/1.75" Rear Lift - ES9000 Shocks + JKS BPEs
Moog Cargo Control Springs
Magnaflow Converter - Dynomax Muffler
235/75/15 AT Uniroyal Liberator Tires
-Joe- is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.