I need 2-3 more inches! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > I need 2-3 more inches!

Labor Day Sale!Clayton Off Road - last day of the Labor Day special!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 06-27-2003, 08:03 AM   #1
TOM380

I need 2-3 more inches!

I am currently running a BB 2" coil spacer but that is just not enough. Anybody have experience in getting 2-3" without killing the pocket book? Anybody do the front to rear coil spring? and if so how much lift does that give & hows the ride? Any input would be appreciated

1968 Jeep (Kaiser) Wagoneer, Buick 350 V8, Isky cam,HEI ignition, TH400 trans and completly stock inside and out.
TOM380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2003, 08:32 AM   #2
Howler

Yup you can do a front to back swap and if you want you can incorporate you spacers.
What you WILL NEED is . New front Coils 3" (if using existing spacers), new shocks, and a rear trac bar bracket or adjustable trac bar. What you COULD NEED is longer brake lines. What WOULD BE NICE but not nessesary front adjustable trac bar. Or you can just redrill your front hole over by and inch or so.
What to do is put your new 3" springs in the front and take your front and put them in the rear. Cost I'm going to guess about 400.00. I'm canadian and for me to do it, it cost me roughly about that. With this you will be able to fit 32's with a little trimming in the front. This is just a basic discription to give you an idea.
Howler
Unread 06-27-2003, 08:44 AM   #3
TOM380

HOW WILL THE RIDE BE EFFECTED? I'M GUESSING THE FRONT COILS ARE A LITTLE STIFFER SO WHEN THEY ARE MOVED TO THE REAR IT MAY BE A BIT STIFF? ALSO DO YOU KNOW OF ANY OTHER MODS THAT WILL HAVE TO BE DONE? WHAT ABOUT THE PITMAN ARM OR THE SWAY BARS? WHAT YOU DESCRIBED SEEMS TO BE PRETTY EASY. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP/INPUT.

1968 Jeep (Kaiser) Wagoneer, Buick 350 V8, Isky cam,HEI ignition, TH400 trans and completly stock inside and out.
Unread 06-27-2003, 09:25 AM   #4
pozner

Re: I need 2-3 more inches!

Don't we all.
pozner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2003, 12:32 PM   #5
Howler

OK Here I'll get descriptive. Your ride will get stiffer depending on the coils you get. Stock coils are 160 lb/sq. in. Rancho coils ( what I have) are 256 lb/sq. Your stock coils in the rear are not to bad at all. So keep in mind you spring rate when deciding on coils. The higher the rate the stiffer they are. Also another thing. My rancho coils were suppose to give me 3" lift but because of the spring rate the coils is only 1' longer then the stock. Hum go figure. As you can see I'm not happy with my rancho. I should have gone with Rusty's. Anyway The other thing you will want to watch are your brake lines. You have two options. One is lower the brake line bracket. Its free and it works. The other is replace the line with TJ lines as they are longer. I would go with option number one here. Shocks. You will need shock for the size lift you are going. Research this as you'll want the longest travel shock you can get. Skyjacker shock say they work for 3" but they are jus a bit to short for my liking. You'll have to go buy length. Rear track bar. You can go with the bracket that is cheap, the adjustable trac bar, which is preferred but more expensive. If you go with the bracket people suggest to have someone weld it on for strength. Now what is left if the front track bar. You can just redrill the mounting hole on the axle over by about 1" or you can get an adjustable trac bar. Again ones free and one isn't. Your choice. Your stock control arms should be fine but you are maxing them out. Your pitman arm is fine as well. Your Tcase is fine tough you may want to double check your angles when done. what I suggest is:

Do the lift first without the spacers. Do an home alignment and work out any bugs or wobbles that might occur. Then when she is running fine add the spacers and do the alignment again. I find if you do it slow and in stages you are more likely able to fix any possibility of death wobble that might occur. Also the higher you go the stronger the wobble. Understand?
Oh on last thing. With this mod you can fit 32's by trimming your front bumper just a bit. The tires will fit but when you turn they will rub.
Hope that helps.
Howler
Unread 06-27-2003, 08:18 PM   #6
TOM380

Thank you for your help and taking the time to explain. The reason I am so perinoid about doing this is I lifted my F-150 myself and had alot of headaches(not to mention it was a FORD)
So with your help and this site I hope to avoid any major problems this time around. Again thanks for the help

Unread 06-27-2003, 08:52 PM   #7
KillerZJ

I think that JeepGuru is the one that really needs 2-3 more inches.

Wow no pictures in sig? F*cking gay.[/FONT]
KillerZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2003, 03:13 AM   #8
Howler

Quote:
Originally posted by TOM380
Thank you for your help and taking the time to explain. The reason I am so perinoid about doing this is I lifted my F-150 myself and had alot of headaches(not to mention it was a FORD)
So with your help and this site I hope to avoid any major problems this time around. Again thanks for the help
No prob. I did the lift myself and I was paranoid as well. Good thing about being paranoid is that it makes you take the time to understand what it is you are about to do. It makes you research as well. And it give you good access to drugs. LOL
Howler
Unread 06-30-2003, 05:25 PM   #9
Camster

very good, detailed article on a front to rear swap:

http://kevinsjeepparts.com/techarticles/f2rearswap.html

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/nc2/davidpage/Camsjeep.html]My Jeep[/url]
Camster is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.