i just got a wj want some input - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > i just got a wj want some input

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 07-23-2009, 08:20 PM   #1
22remud
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i just got a wj want some input

its a 2002 Grand Cherokee Laredo with the Up-Country package on it.I have a few simple plans to make it look better but those will come latter, i picked it up for a steal at $3500 bucks. its un-molested , the motor looks like it just came off the trailer at jeep in 2002.

i got a full K&N intake system i think a 57 series or something, its the one that seals on the hood when its closed. i got a full Borla cat-back exhaust system(thats the 4.7l one but its the same just has one in pipe versus two). and i also got a set of Pro-Comp 2inch coil spacers.

7.73 HP @ 4711 RPM

here is the exhaust idk exact specs but im sure it would be close to 7-10hp as well

and here is the spacer kit

and here is some photo shoped in ideas i had that my friend did for me(hes a graphic design artist), the head lights and tail lights are blacked out some, removed the badging and pin striping, blacked out the grill, and blacked out the wheels.

before:

after:

well thats what i have got comming and possible plans, and i have only had it for less than a week lol please if you have any of these upgrades please let me know how you like them and let me know your opinions on it all, i have been doing research for a few days and i always end up reading threads on here so i thought i would become a member. thanks

also on a side not when i hit the brakes real hard and come to a complete stop the rear axle feels like it shifts a bit and it has a wiggle on a realy bad road......im thinking it could be that upper control are on the rear axle but not sure, havent had a chance to jack it up and investigate it to much yet.

22remud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2009, 08:23 PM   #2
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

yea toss all those exhausts away and talk to PM/EMAIL

Kolak@aol.com

and Pm him at Kolak on here he is the WJ exhaust guru Btw you get nothing out of a CATBACK if your Catalytic converter isnt Highflow Kolak includes them with his kits.

Kolak can help you with everything and most people replace the K&N filters with Amsoil ones because they filter better and dont have to be oiled the oil makes your throttle body sticky over time.
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2009, 08:41 PM   #3
22remud
1998 TJ Wrangler 

well i am a mechanic, a cat-back exhaust with a stock catylitic converter usualy produces anywere from 7-10% bhp, and it is going to be a street jeep 99% of the time its my dd, so redoing the entire exhaust is not a major concern or return for me.
Unread 07-23-2009, 09:07 PM   #4
duckysbht
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Get rid of the spacer, but the tinting lights and appearance looks, well I would do those. That really sets the jeep off I think. I just picked up an 03 WJ Overland and am looking to do some appearance mods as well
Unread 07-23-2009, 09:17 PM   #5
22remud
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckysbht View Post
Get rid of the spacer,
why do you say get rid of the spacers you have a bad experience or anything like that?
Unread 07-23-2009, 09:25 PM   #6
gatorayde
1999 WJ 

Adding a mandrel bent cat back will help to an extent, a high flow cat will help more. A cat and back setup will never get you 7-10% bhp/btq in a jeep, period. If you have a 4.0, which I believe you do looking at the intake, your best bet is to stroke it to a 4.6. No amount of bolt ons will get you close to the power of a 4.6.

BB spacers are totally fine if you only want to stay in the ~2" range. If you have any thoughts about going higher, save your money and lift it that height in the first place.

And you don't have upper control arms technically in the rear, it is an A arm. The A arm itself consists of two bushings at the frame and one ball joint that connects to the axle. Check those, and the lower control arms for any cracks or play in the bushings.
gatorayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2009, 09:35 PM   #7
22remud
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorayde View Post
Adding a mandrel bent cat back will help to an extent, a high flow cat will help more. A cat and back setup will never get you 7-10% bhp/btq in a jeep, period. If you have a 4.0, which I believe you do looking at the intake, your best bet is to stroke it to a 4.6. No amount of bolt ons will get you close to the power of a 4.6.

BB spacers are totally fine if you only want to stay in the ~2" range. If you have any thoughts about going higher, save your money and lift it that height in the first place.

And you don't have upper control arms technically in the rear, it is an A arm. The A arm itself consists of two bushings at the frame and one ball joint that connects to the axle. Check those, and the lower control arms for any cracks or play in the bushings.
ok thanks for your input. but ill be happy with just a better sound and a nice tail pipe for now i got a sweet deal on it i couldnt pass up.

and as far as the lift goes i am just looking to improve its general appearnace and not look like at the stock GC's running around town, if i do go past that it will be atleast a few years away and since i didnt pay much for the BB ill just do it.

thanks for the input
Unread 07-23-2009, 09:36 PM   #8
duckysbht
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ah I'm sorry I read the spacer completely wrong. I saw spacer and assumed you had a throttle body spacer. My bad
Unread 07-23-2009, 09:37 PM   #9
gatorayde
1999 WJ 

If you're running it for a few years, consider going with correct size shocks in the next few months. Your stock ones will wear out a lot faster and leave you with a poor ride.
gatorayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2009, 09:42 PM   #10
22remud
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckysbht View Post
Ah I'm sorry I read the spacer completely wrong. I saw spacer and assumed you had a throttle body spacer. My bad
yea, its ok i am on FJOA and that happend once already lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorayde View Post
If you're running it for a few years, consider going with correct size shocks in the next few months. Your stock ones will wear out a lot faster and leave you with a poor ride.

yea i had planed on getting some pro comp shocks, the lift isnt a necesity so i might be waiting to install it once i have all componets needed for best ride quality including Bump stop extension, addco upgraded sway bar, and new shocks(prolly just 1inch longer) but i will do the nice nitrogen ones prolly
Unread 07-23-2009, 10:40 PM   #11
22remud
1998 TJ Wrangler 

has anyone ever run HID's in a GC, and how durable are they to going off-road
Unread 07-25-2009, 02:26 PM   #12
22remud
1998 TJ Wrangler 

well i cant find a good kit i like for a decent price so i just got a set of hella headlights
Unread 02-03-2010, 10:02 PM   #13
22remud
1998 TJ Wrangler 

well in an update all of those parts showed in the beginning of the thread were installed in August of '09 and about a month ago i got sick of barely hearing my exhaust so i chopped out the cat that was right in front of the muffler, now it sounds really nice.it has a nice deep throaty sound to it. i cant stand not having enough lift on it as it feels like i am in a car while driving. so i am soon to purchase a Rough Country 4inch X-series lift. plus im going to try to get all my plastics bed lined and paint my grill and do my tail lights as i have been to lazy to do so in the last 6months or so.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.