I just got 5.9 hood louver vents for my ZJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > I just got 5.9 hood louver vents for my ZJ

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Closed Thread
Unread 11-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #1
kirkham715
1995 ZJ 

I just got 5.9 hood louver vents for my ZJ

Just won on eBay. Paid $130 which was more than I had planned, but the bidding was heavy.

Good but used shape with intact drip pans and all the screws. Came from a 5.9 owner who is parting out his Jeep.

My Plans (and I am open to your ideas)
I plan to mount on my '95 ZJ approximately where the 5.9 vents normally are

The openings between the fins of the vents seem too small to let much air out, so I plan to do some grinding to open them better. I saw someone in the forum do that recently and it seemed a good idea and would love to hear from whomever did that for tips.

I plan on finding longer screws and possibly spacers to open up greater air flow between the louvers and the drip pans.

Rather than a full rectangular opening or the smaller ovals of the original install, I plan on a swiss cheese area of 1-1.5 inch holes below the louvers which should preserve some of the hood and paint integrity. Some installers have commented about paint crinkling on the hood around the large holes they cut.

Finally the paint - I am keeping the white louvers for my white hood. I probably will use a can to spray several layers of primer then Duplicor and the just expect that I will have to pepaint in a few years.

Some things if you have tips...

I put several oven thermometers around the engine compartment and was getting 180 degree air consistently after even short rides on October days. In Los Angeles area where I am, summer days I am sure have engine compartment heat hitting higher than that. Would I be better off using some kind of high temp paint rather than the duplicolor. Should I use something like BBQ paint (black) around the holes I drill? Would professional paint job or powder coat be a better way to go.

Looking for your good ideas - Thanks

t2ec16f-efiplz2p48bsdrfuui2g-60_1.jpg

Unread 11-09-2013, 10:44 AM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I cut the entire portion of hood out under my vents minus the holes for the screws. Made a huge difference in the amount of hot air escaping. I can drive for several hours and the hood isn't hot to the touch afterward.
Unread 11-09-2013, 11:18 AM   #3
chaZJones
1996 ZJ 

grinding the fins open wider seems pointless imo. its not like theres a massive volume of air that's going to be flowing through them. plus it will probably look bad. only my opinion
Unread 11-09-2013, 12:36 PM   #4
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaZJones View Post
grinding the fins open wider seems pointless imo. its not like theres a massive volume of air that's going to be flowing through them. plus it will probably look bad. only my opinion
Not so bad . I would go smaller next time .

Tape where you cut/drill , keeps the paint better intact . Use good tape , not some dollar store junk . 3M is good .

Wouldn't worry about any special heat paint .
nobodies-007.jpg

nobodies-001.jpg

Unread 11-09-2013, 12:51 PM   #5
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
I didnt use 9er vents but I just cut giant gaping holes in my hood with an angle grinder
It came out great.
No bad paint.
My hood is plenty strong, not floppy because of the new holes.
I used a cookie pan for my drip trays.
Dont over think it man, mine work great and I used gd cookie pans..
Measure 3 times, cut.
Good luck chief
p1050119.jpg   p1050125.jpg   130314_0003.jpg  
p1050126.jpg

Build thread^^
Unread 11-09-2013, 02:14 PM   #6
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

This thread has me intrigued. I picked up the entire hood of a 5.9L a few months ago for $50.00

Polka, you said you cut the hood out under the tray? What do you mean? And Newfie, are you using drip trays?
Unread 11-09-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonStebbins View Post
This thread has me intrigued. I picked up the entire hood of a 5.9L a few months ago for $50.00

Polka, you said you cut the hood out under the tray? What do you mean? And Newfie, are you using drip trays?
If you take the vents/ trays off of a 5.9 hood you will see that there are rather smallish ovals for the heat to escape. I just cut the rest of the hood like a big rectangle similar to riots but careful to leave the stock screw holes then painted and reinstalled the vents/trays. It vents heat much better now. I was going to put pacers in but when I felt how good it was keeping the hood cool after that I didn't see a need.
Unread 11-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #8
Pierre_r

1989 XJ Cherokee 

Here is a great thread that shows how a 5.9 looks under the louvers and how to mod them so they will let out more heat.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/5...t-mod-1370209/
Unread 11-09-2013, 05:48 PM   #9
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

No drip trays , no problems either . Been 5 yrs now
Unread 11-10-2013, 05:00 AM   #10
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

I'll be doing what Zach did tomorrow afternoon. Didn't realize how constrictive the stock set up was.
Unread 11-10-2013, 08:10 AM   #11
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonStebbins View Post
I'll be doing what Zach did tomorrow afternoon. Didn't realize how constrictive the stock set up was.
That's how I did mine except I didn't leave a support in the middle.
Unread 11-12-2013, 12:19 AM   #12
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfieZJ View Post
No drip trays , no problems either . Been 5 yrs now
I'm trusting your word on this, no drip trays on mine anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
That's how I did mine except I didn't leave a support in the middle.
My hood actually had five small ovals, rather then three large ones like the other pictures. I actually made my rectangle about 1" larger then it was with the original holes.

I can't believe how restrictive the stock set up was, I never would have thought .
Unread 11-16-2013, 08:01 AM   #13
Lustra

Why hack your hoods for something that looks tacky and has no real purpose other then trapping dirt.

Yes , the mileage is stored in the PCM , it's only available through a DRB scan, it is irrelevant to 99% of jeepers
What about the other 1%?
Unread 11-16-2013, 09:31 AM   #14
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lustra View Post
Why hack your hoods for something that looks tacky and has no real purpose other then trapping dirt.
They are quite functional in letting under hood heat vent from the engine bay.
Unread 11-16-2013, 09:51 AM   #15
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lustra View Post
They really do. Especially after you hack them larger. I think ZJs look better with the vents.
Closed Thread

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.