i have an idea just dont know if ots worth it??? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > i have an idea just dont know if ots worth it???

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 12-19-2012, 10:25 AM   #16
Justlas88
1993 ZJ 

The axle is not my problem, i don't do tons of hard core wheeling or anything just some easy trails and the sand dunes stuff like that.. Just the brakes are not working, I do a fair amount of driving and with the snow up here in Michigan I think the stopping power of rear disc's would be worth the money.

Thanks for all the help!!!!

Justlas88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 11:45 AM   #17
Camaro16
1998 ZJ 

Drums can stop just as well as discs can - the performance reason for using discs is that they dissipate heat better - hence why drums are fine for the rear on non performance cars, as they are only taking about 20% of the entire braking load when you hit the fat pedal, and rarely get a chance to heat up enough to cause brake fade.
Performance cars - they might overheat and cause fade. Jeeps - unlikely.
Camaro16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 04:46 PM   #18
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Until you do repeated stops so that discs can demonstrate their superior ability to dissipate heat, drums have just as much stopping power as discs.

Ever look at heavy equipment like semis? Lots of drum brakes.

Personally, I hate the pedal feel of most cars with rear discs. Drums have way better grab since they're self energizing. And for whatever reason, rear discs seem to have a pad life of 30-40K while shoes often go 100k.

Most rear drums require occasional use of the ebrake to remain adjusted properly. Often times complaints about rear drums are coupled with seized ebrakes or shoes soaked in gear lube. There is no need to manually adjust if everything's working right, since everything newer than 1964 has self adjusting brakes per DOT regulation.

happy brakin!
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 04:55 PM   #19
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

My only beef with rear drums are if they get wet . It's been my experience they tend to lock up when wet . Disk doesn't have that issue .
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 05:56 PM   #20
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfieZJ View Post
My only beef with rear drums are if they get wet . It's been my experience they tend to lock up when wet . Disk doesn't have that issue .
In my experience quite the opposite has happened. On my '55 Willys when I dunked it to the hubs in water I had no brakes at all, which was quite disconcerting considering right after the puddle was a 200 foot descent down a 45* hill!!

Same thing with my '74 CJ5. I just about ended up in my buddy's rear seat via the tailgate due to wet 4 wheel drum brakes.

I've never looked too closely (primarily because all 3 ZJ's I've had have been rear disk) but how differently does the drum parking brake on the disk setup work than on a drum brake setup? Is it all incorporated in the backing plate and do they use the same cable?
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.