i have an idea just dont know if ots worth it??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > i have an idea just dont know if ots worth it???

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-18-2012, 05:54 PM   #1
Justlas88
1993 ZJ 

i have an idea just dont know if ots worth it???

So my 93 zj 4.0 is in need of rear brakes ( drums) i really dont want to spend much on them because they just suck anyways, i just want to know what ypu guys think would it be worth my time and money to get a new rear end with disc's or just fix up the drums, i jave a 3" lift with 31's ..... What do you think???

Justlas88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
Mike97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

I f'in hate drums with a passion, so I say YES. You should be able to pick up a rear 35 cheap, and calipers and rotors are really cheap as well.

You may even be able to convert your current rear to disks with boneyard parts (backing plates and caliper brackets, I'd go new with rotors, pads, and calipers). Not sure if the axle ends are the same though, you might want to check that out.

Before you install it, go through the parking brake and add all new shoes and hardware, especially the two peice actuator that sticks through the backing plate. They rust up and the parking brake doesn't work. Mine hasn't worked in years, it makes getting an inspection sticker a bit tricky.
Mike97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2012, 06:12 PM   #3
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

If you're gonna go through the trouble of swapping it out, you might as well swap in a 44a. Don't bother swapping in another 35.
[B]94 Grand Cherokee 5.2[/B] [SIZE="1"]33in. Federal Couragia M/T's on Procomp Steelies, np231 swap, IRO Hack n Tap SYE, Carolina Driveshaft, 4.5 in. lift, RE front upper/rear lower ca's, RC front lowers, Ironman rear uppers, IRO 4.5 coils in rear, 3.5 and 2" bb (no isolators) in front, Bilstein 5100's, Clayton/JKS adj. track bars, KOR rad support and SS, Magnaflow/Flowmaster exhaust, clear corners, custom light bar w/ Hella 500's[/SIZE]

[CENTER][COLOR="Yellow"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/zombie-outbreak-response-vehicles/"][COLOR="Yellow"]Zombie Outbreak Response Team[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR][/CENTER]
[QUOTE=elcorvino;14544406]Yea... It's kind of like the fat chick who lives around the corner. You aren't trying to get caught with her, but you know she'd be a good time.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ScottD16;14460352]I had a dream my entire family was attacked by a giant polar bear. The crazy part was he attacked us with a giant spoon. Best dream ever.[/QUOTE]
Freestyle713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2012, 06:37 PM   #4
Justlas88
1993 ZJ 

What all does it take to put in a 44? What did they com on if i got one at the jy?
Justlas88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2012, 06:56 PM   #5
nickpequignot
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justlas88
What all does it take to put in a 44? What did they com on if i got one at the jy?
Any 96+ v8 zj will have the 44a direct swap as well
Unread 12-18-2012, 06:56 PM   #6
cgcarpenter
1997 ZJ 

The 44a came off v8s it's a direct bolt in and is much stronger. I'm planning on this swap very soon.
cgcarpenter is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2012, 07:06 PM   #7
RaccoonJoe
1995 ZJ 

Not sure how you'll like the 44a. That aluminum housing doesn't have a real good reputation. While I know that everyone is hating on the d35 as a POS axle, the one that's under my 95 ZJ (rear disc) has 350k miles, and has spent the last two years with 31s, bein wheeled harder every time it's out. Lincoln locked, too, come to think of it

Depending on your fabrication abilities, the Chrysler 8.25 can be found under some XJs, and is reputed to be roughly equivalent to a d44. The ford 8.8 (i believe) from under a Ford Explorer can be found with disc brakes.

Overall? Replace the stock brakes. Axle swaps are more expensive, even from bone yards.....and they can get expensive quick, factoring in brake lines/bushings/etc
Eagle Scout Jeep Club Member #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0H.O.XJ
Ill have an XJ please, with a side order of 4.0, hold the catalyctic converter and the 02 sensors, thank you.
RaccoonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2012, 08:27 PM   #8
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

if i had the time and money, id love to put a built up 8.25 in my ZJ
Unread 12-18-2012, 08:44 PM   #9
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio View Post
if i had the time and money, id love to put a built up 8.25 in my ZJ
The problem with that is that the amount of money it takes to swap in an 8.25 is the same as an 8.8.
[B]94 Grand Cherokee 5.2[/B] [SIZE="1"]33in. Federal Couragia M/T's on Procomp Steelies, np231 swap, IRO Hack n Tap SYE, Carolina Driveshaft, 4.5 in. lift, RE front upper/rear lower ca's, RC front lowers, Ironman rear uppers, IRO 4.5 coils in rear, 3.5 and 2" bb (no isolators) in front, Bilstein 5100's, Clayton/JKS adj. track bars, KOR rad support and SS, Magnaflow/Flowmaster exhaust, clear corners, custom light bar w/ Hella 500's[/SIZE]

[CENTER][COLOR="Yellow"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/zombie-outbreak-response-vehicles/"][COLOR="Yellow"]Zombie Outbreak Response Team[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR][/CENTER]
[QUOTE=elcorvino;14544406]Yea... It's kind of like the fat chick who lives around the corner. You aren't trying to get caught with her, but you know she'd be a good time.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ScottD16;14460352]I had a dream my entire family was attacked by a giant polar bear. The crazy part was he attacked us with a giant spoon. Best dream ever.[/QUOTE]
Freestyle713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2012, 09:51 PM   #10
newfieZJ
Jeep Collector

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justlas88 View Post
Putting it in is a bolt in application . Thing is , you probably have 3:55 gears . Most 44A's have 3:73's . Now you're looking at an axle , plus a re-gear to match one or the other . Of course , you could switch the front axle too . Now that's done , will the drive shafts work ? The 44a is 1" longer in the pinion , requiring a 1 " chop to the driveshaft . You may or may not be able to avoid this but encounter vibes . The front pinion can vary also , early ZJ D30's are longer than 96+(IIRC) . Possible new front shaft required also .

If you have no issues with your axle as it is , why not just bolt on the brakes from a rear disc axle ? Do a little maintenance like axle bearings , seals and oil change while your at it .
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2012, 10:13 PM   #11
AVR2
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justlas88 View Post
So my 93 zj 4.0 is in need of rear brakes ( drums) i really dont want to spend much on them because they just suck anyways, i just want to know what ypu guys think would it be worth my time and money to get a new rear end with disc's or just fix up the drums
There's no way that you can compare replacing a pair of brake drums (about $60 and an hour of your time) with replacing a whole rear axle. Even with junkyard parts you're talking a crapload more money and time.
AVR2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2012, 10:32 PM   #12
Mike97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaccoonJoe View Post
Not sure how you'll like the 44a. That aluminum housing doesn't have a real good reputation. While I know that everyone is hating on the d35 as a POS axle, the one that's under my 95 ZJ (rear disc) has 350k miles, and has spent the last two years with 31s, bein wheeled harder every time it's out. Lincoln locked, too, come to think of it
I agree. A 35 is just fine with 31's, especially if you don't wheel with a lead foot.

My rear 35 has had 31's on it for the last 7 years or so, with the last two of them being with a Lock Rite. No problems with the 35 other than leaking axle seals at 145k miles, at which time I changed the wheel bearings while I was in there and added the Lock Rite. 163k now and going strong.

I'll admit I haven't wheeled it in a while though.
Mike97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 12:08 AM   #13
squazz
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Rear drum shoes are only 20$ and if you keep them adjusted every month or so The jeep will actually stop better then it dose with just front brakes
squazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 03:09 AM   #14
moggie99
1996 ZJ 

Drums are fine - the vast majority of stopping effort is provided by the front brakes and if I was going to upgrade anything I'd do them. Good condition discs/dums/pads/shoes are essential for best perfomance on any brakes.
moggie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 03:25 AM   #15
AVR2
1993 ZJ 

I did read on here a while back that in a front disc/rear drum setup, the drums are responsible for much more "brake feel" than the fronts, even though they provide less stopping power. I'm actually surprised when I look around, how many modern cars are still using rear drums. Usually smaller/mid-sized cars rather than larger SUVs, it has to be said.

BTW Mr. M, will you be bearing gifts of brake drums for me this weekend?
AVR2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.