I have a 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee with fuel system problems please help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > I have a 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee with fuel system problems please help!

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 10-01-2012, 05:10 PM   #1
Rye-man

I have a 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee with fuel system problems please help!

When i drive my jeep down the road and i hit the accelarator it starts to bog out then the engine starts going then bogs til i let of and drive slow. i cant get over 40 mph. I believe its the fuel pump bit im not sure. can anyone help. i recently changed the fuel filter so i know thats a good part.

And what fuel pump would i need? i have a pump that my dad found that i dont know if u can run it. it puts out 90 pounds of pressure. Is this safe to put in.

Im a novice jeep owner. the jeep was passed to me after my brother/mechanic passed away and i have no clue what im doing on it and i need help

Thank you

Rye-man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
Jleming
1996 ZJ 

Before spending too much more money on it, buy seafoam from wal mart.or any car store for about $10 and put half the bottle in your carb while the jeep is idling, but pour it slowly, if you pour too fast your engine will shut off, once you pour the first half turn it off for about 10 minutes, and put the other half in your gas tank, then crank it and rev the engine until it stops smoking. This will clean your fuel injectors,.fuel lines, carb jets, any carbin build up and a few other things. Try that and see if it helps, i have a zj that was doing the same thing, and it helped me.
Jleming is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2012, 11:08 PM   #3
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

The cat is most likely clogged.
Are you getting a CEL ?
JS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2012, 11:10 PM   #4
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rye-man View Post
And what fuel pump would i need? i have a pump that my dad found that i dont know if u can run it. it puts out 90 pounds of pressure. Is this safe to put in
Is it a proper ZJ-compatible pump, or just some random pump?

If you think that your pump is the problem, then surely the first thing you need to do is check your fuel pressure. Rent or buy a fuel pressure gauge and hook it up to the test port on the fuel rail. The FSM (factory service manual) for the 1993 ZJ says this:

Fuel pressure should be approx 31 psi at idle.

While idling, disconnect vacuum line from fuel pressure regulator. Fuel pressure should rise to 39 psi. If it does not rise approx 8-10 psi after disconnecting vacuum line, replace fuel pressure regulator.

Switch off engine, and record reading on pressure gauge. Leave engine to sit with gauge connected for 30 minutes and then compare reading with that previously taken. A drop of up to 20 psi within 30 minutes is acceptable, but if it is more than that, then pressure is bleeding past either the fuel pump check valve or the fuel pressure regulator.
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2012, 12:28 PM   #5
LordHobbit
1993 ZJ 

check for codes with the key trick. without starting turn the key on - off - on - off - on and wait. The codes will flash from the check engine light. They are 2 digit number codes. Each digit will be followed by a slight pause, and each number with a slightly longer pause.

Post up the codes and we'll help from there.

Isn't red the only color a vehicle should be?
If at first you don't succeed, use more speed.
LordHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
1993 , fuel pump , grand cherokee

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.