i hate whining..... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > i hate whining.....

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-25-2002, 05:35 AM   #1
Big Dumb White Guy

i hate whining.....

especially when it comes from under the hood. it gets worse the faster you go. i think it is the a/c compressor. at least thats where it sounds like it is coming from. it even whines when at idle. something i can rebuild or do i have to replace???

4.0l I6

A guy walks into the psychiatrist office wearing only Glad Wrap shorts. The shrink says, "Well, I can clearly see you're nuts."
Big Dumb White Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2002, 09:30 AM   #2
moabster
2011 WK 

Stop your whining

Just a few ideas and a question.
Does it happen when the AC is both on and off? If so, it could be the AC Clutch. If the whine goes away when the AC is off it may be the compressor. How about the water pump? Is the serpentine (sp) belt orginal? If so, it may be time to replace it after 10 years. I had to replace my belt after about 5. My AC compressor started leaking at 7 years/72,000 miles. From what others have said, the 1993 air compressors went out often.

Good luck in stopping your whining.
Bullet Proof Front and Rear Bumpers and Tow bar
moabster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2002, 09:32 AM   #3
Big Dumb White Guy

with a/c on and off it still whines.

is it possible to rebuild the a/c clutch???

A guy walks into the psychiatrist office wearing only Glad Wrap shorts. The shrink says, "Well, I can clearly see you're nuts."
Unread 09-25-2002, 10:35 AM   #4
moabster
2011 WK 

I've only replaced an A/C clutch on an oldsmobile cutlass, and that was a 1971 one at that. It could not be rebuilt. I'm not sure about the A/C clutch on a GC. Check with an autopart store to see what they carry. New, rebuilds or kits. Other things to consider is the alternator and maybe power steering pump. Any of those things connected to the belt.

If it were my jeep, I think I would remove the belt for a few minutes and see if the whine is there when not turning any of the accessories. (For just a few seconds). Then try turning each item separately to see if you can tell where the whine is coming from.

Happy diagnosing
Bullet Proof Front and Rear Bumpers and Tow bar
moabster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2002, 09:20 PM   #5
Intrepidjeep

One old diagnostic trick is to press the blade or point of a long screwdriver against the body of the AC compressor and press your ear against the handle. You actually want to make sure your ear canal is 'closed' so that you only hear the noise coming through the screwdriver.

Press the point of the screwdriver against (unmoving) parts of other reachable components.

Sounds a little primitive, but it only takes a minute, it's free, and you're likely to find the whining part that way. Of course, be careful where you point that screwdriver.

Just don't post any messages that you hear voices in the engine, or your Jeep told you to do something, or anything really nuts like that . . .
2005 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7L
Intrepidjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2002, 08:36 AM   #6
Big Dumb White Guy

looks like we have a winner . the compressor was about 10x louder than the altenator.

screw it - next spring......

Unread 09-27-2002, 06:07 PM   #7
gbgary

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Dumb White Guy
if it ain't broke, you're not tryin' hard enough.
guess you did it.

street jeep and ranger pics...
gbgary is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.