I am A little Puzzled.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > I am A little Puzzled....

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-17-2011, 09:39 PM   #1
ozzy_2_me
1994 ZJ 

I am A little Puzzled....

So you all know. 1994 GC limited with 5.2l. if you need to know anything else about it please ask.

Ok, so about once a month for the past 6 or 7 months i have been getting a problem with the zj. I go out to start it and it would start then run kinda rough and back fire and then stall out. I would turn the key off then on (not starting it) then off again. Then i would turn in it back on and start it and no problems. now what puzzles me it the fact that last night i was driving it down the freeway then the engine cut out for like 5 or 10 seconds then ran rough for a second then started runing find the rest of the way home. when i got home i trying to check what the error codes were and this is the sequence of the flashing light....1 2 2 1 5 2 3 3 5 5. i could really make any sence out of them. the engine has ony cut out this once since i bought the jeep brand new in 94. it only has 75k on it. and i have done regular maintaining on shedual. i did have the fuel pumpsendingout replaced a little under a year ago just because the dealer said something about a recall issue or something.

any help or backed up ideas would be great help. thx guys and gals.

ozzy_2_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2011, 09:43 PM   #2
1stblack97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

you have codes 12, 21, 52, 33, and 55.

code 12 means the battery was disconnected during the last 50 key cycles.
code 55 is end of codes.

The other 3 I'm not sure about but I can find out in a minute.
Plenty of lights
1stblack97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2011, 09:45 PM   #3
1stblack97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

ok the other 3 codes:

21: Upstream oxygen sensor response slower than minimum required switching frequency. Upstream oxygen sensor heating element circuit malfunction. Downstream oxygen sensor heating element circuit malfunction. Downstream oxygen sensor input voltage maintained above the normal operating range. Oxygen sensor voltage too low, tested after cold start. (Upstream or Downstream) Left oxygen sensor input voltage maintained above the normal operating temperature.

52: A rich air/fuel mixture has been indicated by an abnormally rich correction factor. (O2 sensor)

33: An open or shorted condition detected in the duty cycle purge solenoid circuit. (air conditioning clutch relay)
Plenty of lights
1stblack97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2011, 09:56 PM   #4
ozzy_2_me
1994 ZJ 

i thought that one flash was start and then the two 5's were to signal the end.

the O2 sensors make sense. but i have had not problems w/ the AC. It works really very well.
ozzy_2_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2011, 12:47 AM   #5
Crazy4Wheelin
1975 FSJ Wagoneer 

I would clear the codes and try it again. Its electronics, sometimes sensors suck and fail and throw a code when they aren't bad. I have a knock sensor on my saturn that randomly does that. most autoparts store can clear codes. If the problem happens again, then check the codes again. this should help narrow down the problem. Good luck.

☮ 75 Waggy ~Nadia~ Slightly built 401/TH400/BW1339 w/part time kit
☮ 96 ZJ ~Weebo~ Stock 4.0L with 31/10.50/R15
Crazy4Wheelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2011, 02:14 AM   #6
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy_2_me View Post
i thought that one flash was start and then the two 5's were to signal the end.

the O2 sensors make sense. but i have had not problems w/ the AC. It works really very well.
Evap purge is the emissions system, not the hvac.

A bad o2 fits for all your problems. May as well do a full tune up if you haven't in the last two years

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.