Hypertech Max Energy on a 5.9? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Hypertech Max Energy on a 5.9?

JK Front 3 Link Prototype - Clayton Off RoadDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 07-08-2011, 09:13 AM   #1
Scottso699
2006 WK 

Hypertech Max Energy on a 5.9?

Does any one have any experience with Hypertech's Max Energy Programmer? I have a 5.9 with a CAI, bigger throttle body, and headers/exhaust and I'd like to see if some programmer would do anything else for me. Any feed back would be nice from someone with a 5.2 also as they are pretty closely related. And any other recommended Tuners too?

2006 WK Overland
2014 WK2 Limited
Scottso699 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2011, 09:17 AM   #2
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

I have the superchips, it claimed better gains, and gave more options than the hypertech. I am very happy with it, but i would still recommend the SCT.
Unread 07-08-2011, 09:19 AM   #3
Scottso699
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJ5point2GCL View Post
I have the superchips, it claimed better gains, and gave more options than the hypertech. I am very happy with it, but i would still recommend the SCT.
How much power gain did you see? (not looking for numbers but did you REALLY notice a difference?)

2006 WK Overland
2014 WK2 Limited
Unread 07-08-2011, 09:35 AM   #4
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottso699 View Post
How much power gain did you see? (not looking for numbers but did you REALLY notice a difference?)
On the 91 performance tune, the power is actually pretty incredible for just 10 minutes with a hand held tuner, even my sister who doesn't know which hole gas goes in, noticed it pulling harder.

I would be willing to say it helped out more the the headers and exhaust ever did.

I also don't think the hypertech changes shift points and firmness. On the superchips it is nice that you can retard the timing across the board by one degree at a time, so if your getting pinging you can knock a degree off until it stops, instead of having to go to a lower tune level.

You can also feel the different power curve on the different tune, like performance vs tow, with performance the shifts are higher and overall more of the power is above 2700, but the tow has only slightly high the stock shifts (allot firmer though) and has allot more low end torque.
Unread 07-08-2011, 09:40 AM   #5
Scottso699
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJ5point2GCL View Post
On the 91 performance tune, the power is actually pretty incredible for just 10 minutes with a hand held tuner, even my sister who doesn't know which hole gas goes in, noticed it pulling harder.

I would be willing to say it helped out more the the headers and exhaust ever did.

I also don't think the hypertech changes shift points and firmness. On the superchips it is nice that you can retard the timing across the board by one degree at a time, so if your getting pinging you can knock a degree off until it stops, instead of having to go to a lower tune level.

You can also feel the different power curve on the different tune, like performance vs tow, with performance the shifts are higher and overall more of the power is above 2700, but the tow has only slightly high the stock shifts (allot firmer though) and has allot more low end torque.
Thanks for the great info - this is on your 5.9? (I see you have two jeep v-8s)

2006 WK Overland
2014 WK2 Limited
Unread 07-08-2011, 09:43 AM   #6
KingtheZJ
1998 ZJ 

everyone raves about the sct tuner. check thespeedfreaks.net
Unread 07-08-2011, 10:21 AM   #7
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottso699 View Post
Thanks for the great info - this is on your 5.9? (I see you have two jeep v-8s)
yup on the niner.

i originally bought it because my 9-5 was about 7 miles from my house, but coming home at night it would take me 1.5-2 hours just idling in traffic, and i was getting 3 MPG, and i figured i didn't need to burn premium since its costs me about 25 bucks more a fill with our gas prices up here. but now if i am driving it on the highway i use 94 and the performance tune, since on my last trip to vancouver and seattle, i was driving it very hard and averaging over 85mph through the steep mountain passes. on the tow tune i got around 9.5MPG but with the performance tune i got 15, so it's well worth it to run premium
Unread 07-11-2011, 01:15 PM   #8
Scottso699
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingtheZJ View Post
everyone raves about the sct tuner. check thespeedfreaks.net
Has anyone on here had any experience with the SCT tuner?

2006 WK Overland
2014 WK2 Limited
Unread 07-11-2011, 01:26 PM   #9
sebian
1995 ZJ 

My buddy is running Superchips in his 02 Dakota R/T. All I can say is that it is pretty sweet. Performance mode has a crap ton of power, and you can tell the difference when he has it in tow mode. He also mentioned that he noticed another sizable gain in performance when he switched to E3 plugs.

Takes him a little under 10 minutes to change his tunes.

List of parts not replaced yet:
sebian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2011, 01:27 PM   #10
Scottso699
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebian View Post
My buddy is running Superchips in his 02 Dakota R/T. All I can say is that it is pretty sweet. Performance mode has a crap ton of power, and you can tell the difference when he has it in tow mode. He also mentioned that he noticed another sizable gain in performance when he switched to E3 plugs.

Takes him a little under 10 minutes to change his tunes.
Great - thanks for the input!

2006 WK Overland
2014 WK2 Limited
Unread 07-11-2011, 02:04 PM   #11
Kolak
Vendor

I have a great deal running on the Superchips right now and Superchips has a $25.00 mail-in rebate running this month.

PM me if you'd like information.

I also have one open-box Superchips that I will sell for an even better price. Full warranty and all that.
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.