Hub bearing advice needed - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Hub bearing advice needed

Introducing the Quart Crate...JK Front Axle TrussPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 06-26-2013, 08:01 PM   #31
RaevynCarrion
1996 ZJ 

Got the passenger side on, possibly doing the driver side tomorrow night if it doesn't rain. Thanks for the help, guys

RaevynCarrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 03:19 PM   #32
HandsOn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaevynCarrion View Post
Ordered them yesterday, woke up this morning to find them on my front steps.
So Raevyn, what do the boxes say on them as to the Country of Origin on your bearings? After all the talk, I'm curious.

Talking to some Timkin higher-ups (at least in the sales department) it sounds like most Timkin main bearings are still made in the U.S.A. and Canada(?) for now.
During my last job with them, setting up a new warehouse inventory, I looked at almost every box I put on the shelf and found that to be true. The other most represented countries were Belgium, Germany and Japan. I didn't see a single hub from China, Taiwan, Vietnam, or any other similar country.
There were small parts and kits and low-speed bearings from those countries, but all the larger stuff, including the old 4wd wheel bearings (the old LM104949/LM104911, LM501349/LM501310, Set 37, Set 45 etc) were North America or Japan.

So I'm just curious where yours say (or don't say) they're from.
If I'm not mistaken, the law states that if it's not clearly stated on the box, it had better be American Made or else.
We lost an entire container load of PIAA Formula-1 commemorative watches from Japan because the "Made In Japan" label was not visible enough on the individual boxes!
Maybe they had it out for PIAA, maybe it was just luck-of-the-draw, or maybe they're that particular about that kind of stuff.

Paul
HandsOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 07:58 AM   #33
RaevynCarrion
1996 ZJ 

I don't have the boxes at my house since I can't do any mechanical work here. If I remember I'll look before I scrap the old bearings, as they're in the new box.
RaevynCarrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 05:22 PM   #34
Jenglish
1998 ZJ 

I went cheap o and its been fine. Easy to replace.
Jenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 10:18 PM   #35
um7267
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfrog View Post
There are some good youtube videos on replacing them while using the "socket trick" to get them off.
ya didnt work for me, i used a crowbar

and the bolts new only ran about 4 bucks from the dealer, id replace them before your snap them.

i went with timken, good brand 3 year warranty. so ill replace it in a year with another or just order one off ebay and replace the passenger.

ps, ebay sells timkens for like 70 or 80
to the good times and the bad, the family we have and lost, little brother 1988-2011
um7267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 07:18 AM   #36
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Probably a dumb question, but when you use the socket trick to pop the hub off, are you supposed to have the engine running so you get the power assistance?
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 12:38 PM   #37
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR2 View Post
Probably a dumb question, but when you use the socket trick to pop the hub off, are you supposed to have the engine running so you get the power assistance?
I didn't, but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt as long as you turn the wheel slowly
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.