JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   Hub bearing advice needed (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/hub-bearing-advice-needed-1535651/)

RaevynCarrion 06-12-2013 03:31 PM

Hub bearing advice needed

So, last summer I bought a cheap-o hub bearing assembly because mine was grinding so bad it sounded like a damn chainsaw or something. Anyway, it's about time for a new one, and I wanna do it right this time, which means a semi-costly investment and findings decent mechanic. So, my question to the fellow ZJ jeepers out there is what's a decent, budget friendly company for hub? AutoZone has Timken at the high end and duralast at the mid, Advance has Moog on the high end. A friend told me the mid-ground from AutoZone was better than Moog, but I'd like to cover my bases a bit more before I drop $140-300 on something and end up replacing it again next year.

JohnnyZJ 06-12-2013 03:35 PM

cheap ones have always been the best for me.
what size tire you running?

get one with decent warranty so when you replace them every year they are warrantied.
also, learn how to do it yourself; then doesn't matter whatever brand you buy; if they don't last a year, replace them, free of cost

ajmorell 06-12-2013 03:55 PM

I ran the Timken assemblies from AZ...never had a problem with them.

AaronButler 06-12-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyZJ (Post 15553225)
also, learn how to do it yourself; then doesn't matter whatever brand you buy; if they don't last a year, replace them, free of cost

^^ THIS

the bearings arent too hard to replace, mostly just some stubborn bolts to get the hub assembly off and using a lotta grease :)

dusterdude 06-12-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaevynCarrion
So, last summer I bought a cheap-o hub bearing assembly because mine was grinding so bad it sounded like a damn chainsaw or something. Anyway, it's about time for a new one, and I wanna do it right this time, which means a semi-costly investment and findings decent mechanic. So, my question to the fellow ZJ jeepers out there is what's a decent, budget friendly company for hub? AutoZone has Timken at the high end and duralast at the mid, Advance has Moog on the high end. A friend told me the mid-ground from AutoZone was better than Moog, but I'd like to cover my bases a bit more before I drop $140-300 on something and end up replacing it again next year.

Mid better than moog?no freakin way!!!!

WhiteOut 06-12-2013 04:18 PM

Mid grade with warranty, free replacements every year.

Get the tools to do it and do it yourself, once you have a bit of practice it is a 25 minute job per side (timed it). I think shop book rate is 1.5hr per side?

You'll need the 19mm to get the lugs off, 36mm for the hub nut, 13mm 12pt for the bolts holding the hub in place, 12mm for the caliper bolts. After you have everything off the first time, anti-seize everything, it will just fall off the next time.

Pawjob 06-12-2013 04:19 PM

Timken all the way. Autozone has them and they got a 3 year warranty I have returned a few of them at no charge or hassle. 37's are rough on unit bearing hubs

coralman 06-12-2013 04:38 PM

Not trying to ruffle feathers, but this is just my experience so don't get all wanged out. I changed mine recently and when it came time to choose it was either timken or OE. I did some research and found some rumblings about timken and how they closed some factories and moved stuff overseas. How the quality had fallen off ect ect. Now remember this IS the internet. So I called my mopar bud whom over the years I had developed a really good trusting parts relationship with. He told me if I was considering timken to just buy the mopar value line, which was about the same cost as timken. I just bit the bullet and ordered the high dollar OE ones, not the value line but the mopar number without the "V".

I realise that money supply dictates parts choices sometimes but I could so I did. One of the reasons was that while I enjoy working on the jeep I don't enjoy it enough to rely on lifetime warranties and I absolutely hate going through replacing parts that I just replaced not too long ago. I'm just that way. I don't have the experience alot of you have so I hedge my bets when I can. OP I have a thread that might help you do it yourself and there are youtube and pictorials here also that will help you. Since you live in the "up there" soak everything you can with PB or something similar.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/c...build-1518536/

svons7 06-12-2013 04:59 PM

I also vote the DIY route with parts from autozone. It is a easy swap and like everyone is saying it will have a good warranty and be much cheaper. I did mine about a year back with no complaints. Just make sure to get some 12 point sockets and it will make getting some of the bolts off easier

RaevynCarrion 06-12-2013 05:47 PM

So, I have one vote for Timken and one, I think, for Moog. For the DIY guys: I do almost all my work myself or with some friends. But regardless of whether it's a free replacement or not, I do NOT want to do this every year.

Afdude88 06-12-2013 07:05 PM

I would choose timken all day, every day. I used to work in their Lincolnton plant on a hub/bearing assembly line and nothing but quality parts leave there. The quality control is impressive.

Dana 35c behind a 242, behind an AW-4, behind a 4.0L Inline Six sitting over a Dana 30, all turning stock 215/75/15 tires and moving a 93 Grand Cherokee to places your truck only dreams of.

Oldfrog 06-12-2013 11:57 PM

There are some good youtube videos on replacing them while using the "socket trick" to get them off.

JeepNicholson 06-13-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldfrog (Post 15555217)
There are some good youtube videos on replacing them while using the "socket trick" to get them off.

I JUST did that last weekend.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/unit...tbearing-1.htm

This guy uses a bolt, but I too ended up using a long socket. Works great! I've never taken one off so easily.

JohnnyZJ 06-13-2013 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaevynCarrion (Post 15553822)
So, I have one vote for Timken and one, I think, for Moog. For the DIY guys: I do almost all my work myself or with some friends. But regardless of whether it's a free replacement or not, I do NOT want to do this every year.

edit;

you're running stock tires and wore them out within a year?
are you sure thats your problem?

did your mechanic put in used bearings?

you shouldn't be killing stock hubs in a year no matter what brand you get.

jmonty0523 06-13-2013 06:26 PM

Check Rockauto.com for the timken bearing, might save you a few bucks...

The time now is 09:54 PM.