HP30 swap...now Death wobble? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > HP30 swap...now Death wobble?

Labor Day Sale!Clayton Off Road - last day of the Labor Day special!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 08-16-2014, 07:17 PM   #1
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

HP30 swap...now Death wobble?

Swapped in a HP30 from a 92 XJ today.

No death wobble prior to the swap, but post swap i can't drive over 40 MPH. New control arms bushings, most front end parts are in good shape and only a few years old at most.

Suspension is all stock with only a 2" BB.

The only thing i can think of is my caster is off. XJ uses a cam bolt as the body end of the LCA, ZJ has it at the axle end. so using the XJ axle in my ZJ, i now have no caster adjustment using my stock LCA's. Is this the issue?

Want to be pretty sure before i spring for new adjustable LCA's that they will solve the issue.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2014, 08:54 AM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

You are on to something there. Most people do not swap hp30's in without bigger lifts/tires and that usually means they have adjustable control arms. There is also the clearance issues with small or no lift that make it a poor choice to swap in.
The two biggest contributors to DW are the track bar and poor alignment. Other things can cause it too but bad castor and loose track bar will almost certainly guarantee DW.
Without the adjustability in the axle cam bolts there is no way to align it either.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2014, 09:50 AM   #3
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

i have no clearance issues, i cycled the suspension to be sure.

Track bar is not new, but 4 years old at most and seems to be in good shape. I ordered some adjustable control arms that will be installed as soon as they arrive that i hope take care of the issue.

also found a bad sway bar end link, so going to be making a new set of those as well.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Unread 08-17-2014, 04:00 PM   #4
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

A few degrees change in caster can make a huge difference in death wobble. On my rig 5 degrees positive seems to be the sweet spot. Two degrees either way and wobble will happen.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2014, 04:10 PM   #5
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

Thanks. I'll start there as soon as my new arms arrive

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Unread 08-18-2014, 01:09 AM   #6
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohead View Post
A few degrees change in caster can make a huge difference in death wobble. On my rig 5 degrees positive seems to be the sweet spot. Two degrees either way and wobble will happen.
^- this exactly.

Incorrect alignment not only causes DW, it also causes bad handling. Caster angle a couple degrees off from the sweet spot of your lift height/ tire size can make your steering from being good, responsive and calm, to "squirrelly" or wandering all over the road.

Have you already checked toe-in?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2014, 05:17 PM   #7
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

that is what i assume. as the caster is the only thing that has changed really in the swap. I am pretty confident the adjustable arms will solve the issue.

anyone know what stock caster spec is on a ZJ?

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Unread 08-18-2014, 10:31 PM   #8
Scopez
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj
^- this exactly. Incorrect alignment not only causes DW, it also causes bad handling. Caster angle a couple degrees off from the sweet spot of your lift height/ tire size can make your steering from being good, responsive and calm, to "squirrelly" or wandering all over the road. Have you already checked toe-in?
How does one adjust their caster from home for your lift/tire size? I had an alignment done, but I still notice the passenger tire sticking out and the too and leaning in at the bottom. I have a weird wobble and I'd say that's probably the issue.

Not trying to thread jack, but I've tried searching. Also, this is using the lp30, on 33s, with all adjustable arms...
Unread 08-18-2014, 11:54 PM   #9
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scopez View Post
How does one adjust their caster from home for your lift/tire size? I had an alignment done, but I still notice the passenger tire sticking out and the too and leaning in at the bottom.
You mean how can you adjust caster at home? Adjustable UCAs and LCAs are the best idea, cam bolts only offer you some adjustment. You need an angle finder, and start cranking the arm lengths to find the sweet spot.. when doing that, you get really good at unbolting CAs, adjusting length & rebolting

How do you know the right caster for a certain lift height/ suspension setup/ tire size? You don't. You should start with close-to-stock-specs, and adjust it as necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by underpowered View Post
anyone know what stock caster spec is on a ZJ?
IIRC stock caster spec. is 5.5*- 7.5*, and stock setup is about there in the middle. On lifted Jeeps this value may be different to achieve proper handling and no DW. However one needs to prioritize pinion angle to avoid DS vibes.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2014, 10:02 AM   #10
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scopez View Post
How does one adjust their caster from home for your lift/tire size? I had an alignment done, but I still notice the passenger tire sticking out and the too and leaning in at the bottom. I have a weird wobble and I'd say that's probably the issue.

Not trying to thread jack, but I've tried searching. Also, this is using the lp30, on 33s, with all adjustable arms...
Axle rotation causing a camber problem.... Do you have an angle finder?
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2014, 10:08 AM   #11
Scopez
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower
Axle rotation causing a camber problem.... Do you have an angle finder?
Could be...makes sense. I do have all adjustable arms btw. I don't have an angle finder, but I have the app on my phone. I'm sure a few buddies would have one I could use.
Unread 08-19-2014, 10:53 AM   #12
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Caster and camber are not independent. To see that this is true just imagine adjusting your caster by 180 degrees. The camber will be exactly the opposite from when you started.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2014, 03:26 PM   #13
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

i'll start near stock and see where that gets me.

and Toe was not checked, but it was also never adjusted as i used my stock ZJ steering on the new XJ axle, and AFAIK the tie rod distance is identical between a HP and LP axle.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Unread 08-19-2014, 04:59 PM   #14
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

I have found that little things like balljoints can affect tie rod length. My toe was out of whack after replacing the balljoints.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2014, 04:30 PM   #15
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

toe is close, not within spec but close. tried adjusting but count not get the bar to turn.

got the new arms on to adjust camber and they do not offer enough adjustability. i cannot shorten them enough as they are, but it is close. the shorter i get them the better the DW gets but then i ran out of room. so now to modify the brand new arms to allow for more adjustability. I think if i can get one more turn from them i will be golden, so going to start by just milling the jam nut down, if that does not get me enough they will be cut, shortened and welded.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.