Howling noise front end??? Please help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Howling noise front end??? Please help

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-19-2013, 07:31 AM   #1
94cherokeesprt
1997 ZJ 

Howling noise front end??? Please help

I have a 1997 zj the front end howls at all speeds I have heard the u joint could be bad the diff could be bad the hub (driver side) could be bad? Any guidance? What's more likely?

Inside every keg is a six pack
94cherokeesprt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 07:33 AM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Howling noise at all speeds are bearings or gears. So possibly pinion, possibly hub, possibly gears, I can't tell from here. It depends on the type of howl. Bearings sound like marbles in a can grinding on sand and gears can howl. Open up the front end and inspect it.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 07:35 AM   #3
94cherokeesprt
1997 ZJ 

Alright I was hoping there was a common problem but I also figured it wouldn't result in much

Inside every keg is a six pack
94cherokeesprt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2013, 12:03 AM   #4
98cherokeeJeep

Did u fix this op, i already replaced my front and rear diffs with ones at wreckers and all it did was change the pitch of the howl, and now it just occurs at a higher speed
98cherokeeJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2013, 12:58 AM   #5
shaban
1996 ZJ 

Check your gears when changing the oil, look for damage. Maybe adjust the pinion preload, put a new collapsible sleeve, new pinion nut and a new pinion seal.
That helped me with my howling diff.
shaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2013, 06:13 AM   #6
98cherokeeJeep

ya i have no idea when it comes to with working with gears...but im so fed up, replaced my entire f'ing drivetrain and its still doing this..
Unread 11-29-2013, 07:21 AM   #7
mrgimble
1997 ZJ 

Did you run it without the front DS? My howling noise goes way with the front DS out. I guess it could be the TC front output bearing or a front diff part. With the DS out there is no stress on the front drive. I am going to swap in a np242 so I don't have to worry about it 99% of the time.
Unread 11-29-2013, 12:37 PM   #8
98cherokeeJeep

I have the all time 4 wheel drive though, dont wanna f up the t-case by removing the driveshaft...And ya i can do the swap, but dont really want to. I love the all time 4 wheel drive, and i only drive it during the cold months.... I really wish i could tell where my howling is coming from, it sounds like its super oud inside and is bouncing off everything in the cab..Impossible to figure out...I have a feeling its the front diff, because my old one howled from 30km-120km....But wasnt crazy loud..And i just put a junker one in and thought it fixed it, because it doesnt howl from 30-90km anymore...But once you get close to 100 km wow, i get this really loud howl, almost twice as loud as the original diff i had in there... I really wish someone would tell me it was my hubs or wheel bearing doing this noise....but really think its the gears
Unread 11-29-2013, 12:39 PM   #9
98cherokeeJeep

it really sucks i would live with it, but im on the highway 98% of the time doing the exact speed where it howls at.....cant have that its way too annoying..****ty part is I really dont want to change the axle again..and the money i spent on getting used front and rear diffs, i could have the front diff rebuilt
Unread 11-29-2013, 12:56 PM   #10
shaban
1996 ZJ 

Since youve got a spare axle, tinker around with it. Redoing the pinion preload is not too hard, way easier than doing the whole diff.
shaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2013, 01:29 PM   #11
98cherokeeJeep

ya i suppose....i just wish i could tell which diff is making the noise, i almost think it might be the rear....tempted to put in my old rear end and see what happens. This could get ugly i could see myself swapping everything over and over and never fix the problem lol
Unread 11-30-2013, 07:21 AM   #12
Camaro16
1998 ZJ 

My front diff whines - I did a temporary ahem "fix" by putting in SUPER thick lube and the anti-friction additive Mopar sell for LSDs in the rear. It shut it up for the time being, until I have time to swap out axles.
Camaro16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.