How to wire fog lights so they come on with highbeams? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > How to wire fog lights so they come on with highbeams?

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 11-02-2008, 02:52 PM   #16
dxmedia
1996 ZJ 

http://photos.imageevent.com/denviks...t%20wiring.JPG

The supply wants to come from the live wire on the headlights when full beam is on. With a multimeter of indicator lamp have someone flash the headlamps and work out which wire it is, take this as a feed to trigger the relay.

DON'T just piggyback off the headlight wiring, if you overload it it will catch fire. 3mm (sorry don't know imperial for that) wire is a good starting point for running off the relays.

1 12v 35amp relay is good enough for 420W of lights.

dxmedia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2008, 05:45 PM   #17
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

Inline Fuse would be cool 2 i put a 40amp fuse on it.
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2008, 06:45 PM   #18
TX-WJ

2004 WJ 

If you're in foggy weather and turn the fogs, the beam is directed to the ground just under the fog, lighting the foreground and increasing visibility; if you were to turn your high beams, the beam will hit the fog and reflect back in your eyes blinding you and decreasing visibility. That is the reason why they are set to not run at the same time.

I know you asked how to wire them, but this may help if your looking to run fogs and highs for short periods of time, just how I do it if running late in the trail. I'm going to give you my 2 cents.....well, actually my 1 cent.

For the TJ guys, you can bend a leg on the fog relay to allow them to run with the highs. This does not work on our grands (WJ), I already tried. What I do:

All it takes its a penny, If you have your lows and fogs on, and you flash your highs, you will notice if you hold the lever before it "clicks", the high beam will come on and the fogs are still lit; if you place a penny at the base of the lever, it will hold it in that spot allowing you to have all three on at the same time; now it's that el cheapo mod or what?

As I said, I do this ONLY while offroad, do this at your own risk, do not place other drivers in danger by shining all this light on the freeway.

2004 WJ Ltd. (steel blue pearlcoat)
4.7, 242 HD swap, 6" Clayton's, 35" BFG KM2s, F/R chromo'd JK Rubi D44s
TX-WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2008, 10:26 PM   #19
superarmen
1999 WJ 

i dont use my high beams during foggy condidtions becasue of the glare...the only time i really use it is when im going home and highbeams help me see much easier since there arent too many street lights in the area. I have had a couple close encounters with our local deers and i want to make sure that i dont hit them because they jump out last minute.... i have two lights mounted to my bumper in adition to the stock fog lights but since i got a ticket for driving with those on, i wanted to see what a better alternative would be.

94 YJ in BLACK
superarmen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2008, 10:38 PM   #20
TX-WJ

2004 WJ 

Oh, no, don't get me wrong, I did not mean to say you did, that is just a general statement.

I have to drive 150 mi to and back from my favorite wheeling spot and on the way back, on a dark sunday night I drive with my fogs on on this farm roads and when I get a chance will turn the highs, that is why I learned this trick. A simple flick on the lever and your back to low beams again.

2004 WJ Ltd. (steel blue pearlcoat)
4.7, 242 HD swap, 6" Clayton's, 35" BFG KM2s, F/R chromo'd JK Rubi D44s
TX-WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2008, 12:15 AM   #21
superarmen
1999 WJ 

so by putting a coin in between the lever and the space that is there, it will hold itself and i can let go of the lever? is that what u mean? i mean if its that simple then forget fooling around with the wiring. This sounds like a cool idea because i only use it for a short period of time anyway...thanks for tip...i will try it next time i drive

94 YJ in BLACK
superarmen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2008, 08:32 AM   #22
ezrider327
1997 ZJ 

There was/is a guy on Ebay that was selling a "module" to just this, keep the FL on with the HB for like $16

Don't know if it will work on a 99 but I found it - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-95...spagenameZWDVW

price went up since I last saw it, but so has everything else lol
235 75 15 Toyo Open Contry AT's 15x8.5 Eagle alloy's
Flowmaster exhaust, custom winch bumper, Ramsey 9000lb, THULE MOAB roof rack

Last edited by ezrider327; 11-03-2008 at 08:47 AM..
ezrider327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.