how well can a zj REALLY wheel? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > how well can a zj REALLY wheel?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 09-22-2003, 03:22 PM   #16
KillerZJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dumb White Guy
correction - AW4 is a transmission and from what i am told, it is one of the better stock transmissions on Jeep GC's....

go to www.NAGCA.com and do a search for a video on AlaskaZJ and see what he has done and what he does with his ZJ.... you'd be very surprised....
well, your really not a big dumb white guy because your right. the AW4 is basically "bombproof" It is verry strong.

Wow no pictures in sig? F*cking gay.[/FONT]
KillerZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2003, 05:24 PM   #17
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZJ
well, your really not a big dumb white guy because your right. the AW4 is basically "bombproof" It is verry strong.
I have heard the tcase is what has the problem with the clutches wearing out.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2003, 06:34 PM   #18
iroc22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross
I believe the all wheel drive system in the eights and some of the sixes use clutches that will wear faster than the chain and gears that are in the jeeps with a selctable Tcase.

I would avoid, actually I did avoid, gettint he tcase that keeps you in 4wheel drive all the time. The clutches will wear out evetually.

No.

All 249 all wheel drive transfer cases use chains and gears just like the rest. They just incorporate a viscous coupling unit that can wear out if exposed to extreme heat (ex. difference in tire tread depth front - rear). They dont use clutches.

Besides a 242 or 231 transfer case is a direct bolt in.

Quote:
As far as off road ability, either one will do well, it is a Jeep.
Can't argue with that.
iroc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2003, 07:55 PM   #19
JAURS

Hey Swampboy, I just wanted to say that I love the pictures. They really show the true capabilities of a Grand Cherokee. I went wheeling this weekend and thought I was in some mud and tricky situations, but it's nothing compared to what you were in. I'll have to buy myself a digital camera or something so I can post pics of my rig. In the meantime, keep up the good work with the pictures and truck, they look really good.
JAURS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2003, 08:00 PM   #20
Swamp Boy
1993 ZJ 

Thank you .. I never leave home without my Digi cam.. YOu never know when a photo op will arise.. LIke the Freightliner..
I was coming home from work one day and there is a semi over the curb. ( hi centered) So I whip out the trusty strap and pull him out.. ( Obviously couldnt see the curb because of the flood ..
Its huricane season here..

Noone would believe me if I said I did it.. So I took a picture ..
My strap is clearly visible in the pic...
Unread 09-22-2003, 08:40 PM   #21
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iroc22
No.

All 249 all wheel drive transfer cases use chains and gears just like the rest. They just incorporate a viscous coupling unit that can wear out if exposed to extreme heat (ex. difference in tire tread depth front - rear). They dont use clutches.

Besides a 242 or 231 transfer case is a direct bolt in.

Can't argue with that.
Clutches maybe are not best wayto decsribe them. I think of anything that can engage or disengage as a clutch. Basically, if I understand it when you loose traction the "pads" swell with trans fluid "viscous coupling". These pads will wear out eventually. Just depens on the use.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.