Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

How to Unstick a stuck Tailgate ZJ

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  impuresoul2k3 
#1 ·
Well, i know there is various threads for xj's but there problem is factory mine is from the P.O. She was a bit of a ditz and backed into someting, no damage just a stuck tailgate. I hear it lock and unlock but when i left up i only feel a tad resistance. I tried to remove the panel from the inside but theres a couple screws i cant get to. Is there a way to remove the tailgate any other way, or at least the panel?

#2 ·
try pushing in the near the lock cylinder while pulling the handle. The pannel will flex a bit and sometimes this will allow you to open it

you might also be able to drill a small hole in the pannel and release the latch that way but I don't know where the hole has to be drilled

#3 ·
If this is a ZJ open the window remove all the screws in the lower panel you can then pry out the plastic enough to get a screw driver in there. The ZJs have a rod that slips enough to keep the latch from releasing. Once you get the pastic open enough to see in there you will see the problem I'm sure. My 98 Limited 5.9 when I bought it the hatch wouldn't open but the glass would & this is how I fixed it. Once you get the hatch open then you can remove the plastic cover completely & make your repairs.

#4 ·
Thanks CULate, thats what im gunna do again. the lower panel has two screws that cant be ascessed to remove this wont be a problem right? what exactly should i look for, or will i see the problem for sure?

#5 ·
Yea that sounds right. Get a good small like LED light & look towards the latch get someone to move the outside handle & you will see where the handle rod attaches to the latch. I believe you push down with a long screw driver will release the latch from the inside. It has been awhile since I did mine. You can kind of force the plastic open at the top a few inches without damage. It is kind of a beach. But be patient. Once it is open the rest is simple. The rod if that is the problem is clipped on one end & the other is screwed into a plastic/metal piece, what happened to mine was the metal that screws into the plastic/metal piece slipped making the rod TOO LONG to open the latch. When you see it, it is a bad setup. I shorted the rod & crimped the metal on the plastic piece. I know I'm sounding confusing but you'll see what I'm talking about once you get the hatch open & the plastic cover off where you can get to everything & see clearly.

#6 ·
Here's what I did. sitting inside the rear compartment, I removed all the screws I could get to, then I pryed the top of the panel out and stuck a can of wd 40 between the plastic and the metal to keep it pryed out. Reached down, through the vapor barrier and found the latch. A flash light helps. Oh, and your arm will look like you tried to give an angry cat a bath.

#7 ·
Just fixed my tailgate yesterday thanks to tips on this thread. However, don't forget about the 2 hidden screws in the lower part of the fuzzy interior panel. I snapped off the plastic around them trying to pull of the panel once I got the taiilgate open. Simple fix, stupid design. The actuating rod could come out of it's clip if you shut the gate hard enough.

#8 ·
I had the same issue on my old zj. As stated in recent posts, try fiddling with the lock mechanism. It looked like to me on mine it was jammed somehow, after a little work with a screwdriver it worked ever since.

#9 ·
I took apart my rear hatch when I had a Grand to take a look at why the tailgate is getting stuck. Once you get it apart, you should see the issue. There is a plastic tab that attaches to the outside handle (at least on the ones without the hinged window) that gets worn down. When you lift up, the handle can't push the lever far enough.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.