Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

How to unstick a drawbar??

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Kota04SXT 
#1 ·
So, since I got my new jeep it has the tow package. But, there is a drawbar in it. It's stuck in pretty good, without me going out and wrapping a tow strap around the drawbar and a tree... whats the best way to get it unstuck? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Penetrating oil and a BFH and if all else fails, heat the hitch receiver with a torch...but then you'll have to paint it. On my hitch you can get at the backside of the receiver part so you can put a punch in and drive it out.

#3 ·
PB Blaster and BFH.

If it is as bad as the one on my boss's old 96 Suburban, forget about removing it. He put one in his hitch and installed a lock on it at the same time. 12 years later we tried to pull it out when we sold the burb to an employee. After repeated attempts with everything we had from PB Blaster to Oxy/Ace Torch, BFH, RBFH, we just stuck the lock back in and said here you go.

Soak it down with PB blaster let it sit for a while. Reapply the PB a couple of times. Then start working it over with a hammer. Side to side, hit it on the front. It should come loose. No guarantees.

#4 ·
tow strap and tree. lol i actually had a customer that we couldnt get out... they tried to get it out and it moved just engouh to for the pin not to line up... so we welded it on there. cut the ball off and put the ball they wanted on their. not much we could do without removing the hitch.

#5 ·
Safest and easiest way is to use a sawall and a long metal cutting blade.

Cut it flush with the hitch first. Put blade into square hole and make cuts on the inside (4 cuts on each wall). Stop cutting when you've cut through drawbar wall and reached the hitch wall. Repeat on all 4 sides, use chisel and small hammer to dislodge the drawbar walls from inside hitch.

Use waterproof grease or silicone grease next time to prevent rusting.

#6 ·
I have to agree. I am convince that mine is never going to come out any other way., Trust me I have tried every thing. It is rusted to the point it is welded in there. I don't Even want to tell you what I have been doing to try to get it out short of cutting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.