how tight is too tight for a serpentine belt? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > how tight is too tight for a serpentine belt?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 12-19-2012, 10:27 PM   #1
WJ_BEAST
1999 TJ Wrangler 

how tight is too tight for a serpentine belt?

93 zj 4.0

I keep getting a random squeal so I tightened my belt and it was fine for a day, then realized when my ac pump kicked on it seamed to come from there.but then today when I drove it it sqealed a few randon times without the defrost kicking on the ac pump.so do I keep tighting my belt or do I assume I need a new fan cluctch assembly or whatever that part of the pump is called.it has a newer gator back belt.

WJ_BEAST is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2012, 12:50 AM   #2
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

The rule of thumb I use for manually-tightened serp belts (and which I learned about here) is that you should be able to twist them no more and no less than 90 degrees at the tension test point. I've no idea how well that relates to the actual tightness spec, but it's worked for me for years
AVR2 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2012, 03:59 AM   #3
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR2 View Post
The rule of thumb I use for manually-tightened serp belts (and which I learned about here) is that you should be able to twist them no more and no less than 90 degrees at the tension test point. I've no idea how well that relates to the actual tightness spec, but it's worked for me for years
Where is the "tension test point"...?
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2012, 04:44 AM   #4
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Halfway between the upper idler pulley and the PS pump pulley :

Unread 12-20-2012, 04:48 AM   #5
jomps

i assume there is a torque spec,do you have a haynes or chilton?
jomps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2012, 04:57 AM   #6
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Theres a gauge for belt deflection. His method is close enough.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2012, 05:15 AM   #7
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomps View Post
i assume there is a torque spec,do you have a haynes or chilton?
The tension spec is in the FSM and Haynes, but accurate tension gauges are expensive and even most of the auto shops around here don't have them, since most engines have had automatic tensioners for so many years now. The twist test, or the thumb deflection test, will work fine in most cases. I certainly have no problems with belt slippage and it doesn't seem to be over-tight either.
Unread 12-20-2012, 08:02 AM   #8
WJ_BEAST
1999 TJ Wrangler 

How would I tell if its the ac clutch/bearing or not. I ve only been able to make it to the front that one time when it was doing it for a few seconds.otherwise I cant seem to make it do it .it just likes to randomly do it at embarrassing moments lol
WJ_BEAST is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2012, 06:01 PM   #9
jeepinbassist
1995 ZJ 

Mine's been doing the same thing. It only happens when it is really cold out and the engine is still warming up. My squeal is coming from the AC. I know the clutch froze up and had to be replaced about a year before I got it, and i know that is was a JY compressor. So it seems like it is starting to do it again. I'm not sure if replacing the bearing could save it or if the whole thing is shot.
jeepinbassist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2012, 08:24 PM   #10
jtackerman28
1997 ZJ 

Chances are its isnt the ac pump its the alternator
Unread 12-20-2012, 09:55 PM   #11
ZJMTL
1996 ZJ 

Try cleaning your belt on both sides with a small wire brush/cleaning brush while the motor is on (be careful of the clutch fan, and watch your fingers in general).

Then when you're done that, rub a 1'' wide dab of dialectic grease on both sides of the belt in one spot.

I read this somewhere else on JF. Apparently dirt on the belt + cold days usually results in a squeak. In my case it has worked and cured squeal for long periods of time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.