how to set pinion after swpaping yokes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > how to set pinion after swpaping yokes

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 03-13-2013, 10:26 PM   #1
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

how to set pinion after swpaping yokes

tried searching but didnt come up with much. im swapping to a u joint front driveshaft to replace my blown up CV. obviously ill need to install the u joint yoke on the axle. what is the procedure to properly set the preload i believe its called? i have pretty much no experience with axles, only thing axle related i ever did was replace my CV boots on the axle shafts.

Unread 03-13-2013, 10:54 PM   #2
jeep93zj
1993 ZJ 

There is a crush sleeve on there that you have to start to get it to crush you can feel the tension on the new part. To get it to start to crush I used a half inch air impact on the nut while holding the new part so that it won't spin. After you start feeling it getting a little tighter you are going to have to measure the preload with a torque wrench in inch pounds. Then turn it slow to see what it is reading. And the preload is supposed to be between 22-40 inch pounds but you want it as close to 22 add possible without being under. Hope this helps.
jeep93zj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2013, 08:58 AM   #3
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

i've posted this so many times i should just have it in a notepad file for the three to five times a week i need to retype it.
never, ever use an impact when putting a differential back together. disassembly is ok.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/searc...rchid=17956788

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/y...stion-1477813/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
remove everything from the front axle to include the shafts.
use an inlb dial or beam torque wrench to measure current pinion turning preload
remove old nut and discard
change seal and put new yoke on
use a new nut, torque to 160ftlbs
measure pinion turning preload again
increase nut torque by 5ftlb increments until pinion turning preload measures 5inlbs above your initial measurement. do not exceed 360flts doing this, you need a new crush sleeve and most likely bearings at that point.

many shops will actually use the terrible redneck version of doing this and just "mark the nut position" and reuse the old nut. the nuts are very much one time use only. doing it that way will lead to premature pinion bearing failure or ring and pinion failure.
it saves them time so they can make more money and by the time the failure comes up they're not on the hook for any kind of warranty.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2013, 09:31 AM   #4
jeep93zj
1993 ZJ 

You use a impact if you know what your doing.
Unread 03-14-2013, 09:35 AM   #5
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep93zj View Post
You use a impact if you know what your doing.
no, you don't. impact torque is unreliable and can cause damage to bearings even before full torque on the nut is set.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2013, 09:41 AM   #6
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

Ratmonkey beat me to it. I was gonna post the thread I started a month or two back. Ratmonkey gave me the same info. Good stuff, I just have yet to get on it

-Evan
Unread 07-10-2013, 01:30 PM   #7
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

reviving this thread rather than start a new one. haven't had the time or tools to mess with this until now. just have one more question. do i have to remove the carrier as well as the axle shafts when i set the preload, or just pull the shafts out? and if i do need to remove the carrier, can i just make sure to put the shims back where they were? or do i need to reset the whole thing at that point? im not replacing bearings or anything, just swapping the yoke.
Unread 07-10-2013, 01:47 PM   #8
jeep93zj
1993 ZJ 

You can have the whole thing put together when your doing the preload. You can have the carrier and the axle shafts in when you do it.
Unread 07-10-2013, 02:06 PM   #9
a70eliminator

You can get by with a hash mark on the nut, when you tighten it back down line the mark, this is the down and dirty way and unless i were planning on a total rebuild.
All your doing is changing the yoke, use a big pipe wrench with a 3' pipe over the handle, at least a 1/2 drive socket of 1-5/16" with a breaker bar and 3' piece of pipe cheater.
If you get whine going down the road it's not tight enough, if the gear gets sizzle spit hot it's too tight.
a70eliminator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 02:24 PM   #10
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

If you leave the carrier and axles in it will add rotational resistance to the pinion and throw off your preload. Read what Ratmonkey wrote, he knew what he was talking about. Your rotational load on the pinion when the bearings have proper preload is very small. I'm more familiar with the Ford 8.8 but 22-40 inch pounds sounds right. That's only a couple of pounds. The friction of the axle seals and bearings and dragging the ring gear around will add almost that much.

Getting a new crush sleeve and pinion nut and doing this the right way with a breaker bar and inch pound torque wrench is easy and much cheaper than wiping out a rear end when the bearings let go.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 03:44 PM   #11
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

so the carrier comes out. got it. i can just put it back together with the shims where they came out?
Unread 07-10-2013, 03:46 PM   #12
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Yes, as long as you put the shims back where they came from you should be fine.
Unread 07-11-2013, 12:20 AM   #13
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

thank you!
Unread 07-11-2013, 12:04 PM   #14
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

there are two ways to do this, sounds liek you're already confused and will cause you grief.

IF you pull apart the whole diff, you need a NEW crush sleeve. this takes 300 ft/lbs to start the crush; you will also have to measure rotational force with an inch poungdtorque wrench on the pinion nut to make sure preload and stuff is set correctly. then you can put the diff back together putting shims and stuff in the correct order; thats not the hard part. setting preload on a pinion is a royal pain in the ***.

OR. mark the old nut, zip it off, pull the yoke off, install new yoke, and zip the nut back on a little further than it was before (this gives the CRUSH sleeve a little more crush to ensure its tight) this is how most mechanic shops do it. however you're not a mechanic

really you could probably take it to a shop and tell them what you want done. tell em you need a pinion seal changed and give them the new yoke to put on, they'll do it. (because you will be changing the pinon seal anyways right?
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2013, 12:21 PM   #15
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Since he is using a new yoke he should use a new crush sleeve. Due to manufacturing tolerances the new yoke may be a little deeper or shallower that the original and that may not be compatible with the old crush sleeve. Setting preload with a new crush sleeve is pretty easy and straight forward. It's pretty obvious when the sleeve starts to crush and then you just slowly tighten the new nut until you get your desired rotating torque. It takes 300 ft lbs to start the crush but that's easy enough with a breaker bar and once the crush starts it's pretty easy to turn the nut.

The nuts are single use only. Never try and reuse an old nut. The $3 you save can cost you a ton more. As Ratmonkey said, a lot of shops do it this way because it's fast and cheap. That doesn't make it right. Those shops also put the nut back on with an impact and mess up your bearings. You won't know until 5000 miles down the road when the nut backs off and the bearings chew themselves up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.