How to replace Steering Stabilizer? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > How to replace Steering Stabilizer?

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 10-17-2009, 05:07 PM   #1
SouthSeaPirate

How to replace Steering Stabilizer?

Just as it states, Id like to know what to do and what to expect. The DW is getting annoying and I want to put a Monroe in there to stop it until I can fix the rest of the front end.

Do I have to take off the center link bar or can I just unbolt the old SS and put the new one on? Or?

TIA

SouthSeaPirate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2009, 05:10 PM   #2
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

Just so know, DW isn't caused by a worn out steering stabilizer. There is a bigger problem you need to fix. I would check for worn tie rod ends and check your control arm bushings first.

WJ, WK, CJ5

Colorado Jeep Club Member #188

Last edited by GraKee99; 10-17-2009 at 07:00 PM..
GraKee99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2009, 06:58 PM   #3
XrynoX
2002 WJ 

x2 with GraKee99. a bolt on either end. have a look

Last edited by XrynoX; 10-17-2009 at 07:10 PM..
XrynoX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2009, 07:14 PM   #4
sandman
1993 ZJ 

un bolt it, take it off. a hammer may be needed if its stuck on there.
Unread 10-17-2009, 07:25 PM   #5
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Steering stabilizers only mask DW problems, they don't correct it.
Unread 10-17-2009, 11:23 PM   #6
SouthSeaPirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSeaPirate View Post
Just as it states, Id like to know what to do and what to expect. The DW is getting annoying and I want to put a Monroe in there to stop it until I can fix the rest of the front end.

Do I have to take off the center link bar or can I just unbolt the old SS and put the new one on? Or?

TIA
Thats exactly what I want to do ppl, I want to mask DW. At least while I can replace everything in the front (over time).

Thanks for the input ppl!

So, sandman, I dont need to remove anything else? Just unbolt the SS (I know that getting it off the bolt is more involved) and bolt the other one on?

Ive decided to pretty much replace everything because I dont know how to tell a part is bad and every DW thread Ive read say a mulitude of different things cause DW, pretty much every part is mentioned...
Unread 10-17-2009, 11:40 PM   #7
Yardman Harry
O

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSeaPirate View Post
Thats exactly what I want to do ppl, I want to mask DW. At least while I can replace everything in the front (over time).

Thanks for the input ppl!

So, sandman, I dont need to remove anything else? Just unbolt the SS (I know that getting it off the bolt is more involved) and bolt the other one on?

Ive decided to pretty much replace everything because I dont know how to tell a part is bad and every DW thread Ive read say a mulitude of different things cause DW, pretty much every part is mentioned...
Yeah just unbolt it and pray it comes out without any hassle. You may need a tierod puller to get that end out of the drag link since it is pressed in there. Some times even a pickle fork

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Ed. I6 - 4.0 litre, 4" SL, D44 rear, 4:56 Gears, AA SYE with double cardon custom rear Drive Shaft, IRO Adj CAs, Kevins Rear Adj TB with JOHNNY JOINT end

1999 Mazda Miata MX5 - Jet Black

1990 Jeep Cherokee Sport I6 - 4.0 litre
White
~Junked~
Yardman Harry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2009, 06:44 AM   #8
MarkoPo
2005 WK 

I changed mine recently, it wasn't that bad. I got a Monro brand. They only give you the bolt that goes in the drag link, so I had to go to the hardware store and buy a bolt for the other end, as the auto parts store didn't have one. I bought a grade 8 bolt with a lock washer, probably overkill, but it was only about a buck. I just used a BFH to get the bolt out of the drag link. FYI if you try to pound it out put the castle nut on first and hit that. I ended up mushrooming mine and had to take the grinder to it after I got it broke loose.
Hemi Club member #2
Bonafide Gun Guru
MarkoPo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2009, 07:15 AM   #9
NXT-LVL
1999 WJ 

Agreed, if you are replacing all parts, no special tools needed. You can "tap" the link ends with a hammer. But as said, if it's a part you need to re use protect the threads or you will suffer the results. Don't forget to measure the end links for length of thread (make them as close as possible to the old ones), it will be better for you just in case you can't get to a shop for alignment right after you do the work.
NXT-LVL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2009, 01:54 PM   #10
SouthSeaPirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardman Harry View Post
Yeah just unbolt it and pray it comes out without any hassle. You may need a tierod puller to get that end out of the drag link since it is pressed in there. Some times even a pickle fork
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoPo View Post
I changed mine recently, it wasn't that bad. I got a Monro brand. They only give you the bolt that goes in the drag link, so I had to go to the hardware store and buy a bolt for the other end, as the auto parts store didn't have one. I bought a grade 8 bolt with a lock washer, probably overkill, but it was only about a buck. I just used a BFH to get the bolt out of the drag link. FYI if you try to pound it out put the castle nut on first and hit that. I ended up mushrooming mine and had to take the grinder to it after I got it broke loose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NXT-LVL View Post
Agreed, if you are replacing all parts, no special tools needed. You can "tap" the link ends with a hammer. But as said, if it's a part you need to re use protect the threads or you will suffer the results. Don't forget to measure the end links for length of thread (make them as close as possible to the old ones), it will be better for you just in case you can't get to a shop for alignment right after you do the work.
Good to know I dont have to take off the center link bar (stupid Haynes). I plan to use a puller (not tie-rod specific, just a universal one) and a torch to heat it up after Ive tightened down the puller and wait for it to pop off.

Unfortunately Im suddenly having a hard time getting the Monroe, *******es at Advance 'Oh yeah we got one' get there 'Umm no we dont have one, but we can get it' thank god I dont need one right now; ****ing idiots...

Thanks for the help guys! Wish me luck on getting the parts from these fools
Unread 10-20-2009, 11:57 PM   #11
SouthSeaPirate

Wow, it worked. And wasnt that hard to put on! Of course I left the old bolt on there, it all looked fine.

On an average 60 mile round trip to work Id get at least get DW 3 times. Now right after the SS install I took a 600 mile round trip (on Floridas bumby *** Turnpike) and not one bit of DW and no steering wheel jerks from bumps in the road.
Unread 10-21-2009, 05:56 AM   #12
NXT-LVL
1999 WJ 

Congrats, now return the help by doing the same for some one else.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.