How to: Replace PCV / CCV Hoses, Grommets, and Elbows - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > How to: Replace PCV / CCV Hoses, Grommets, and Elbows

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 12-28-2007, 12:10 AM   #1
redhatman
1998 ZJ 

How to: Replace PCV / CCV Hoses, Grommets, and Elbows

Overall, its a pretty simple job but if you are a visual learner, the more pictures the better.

PCV = Positive Crankcase Ventilation
CCV = Closed Crankcase Ventilation

Essentially, the same thing. Most engines its PCV but for some reason on the 4.0 is called the CCV system, they are basically vacuum lines. When you need replacing you will notice oil blowback the most, around the grommets (valves on top of engine) and oil blowback on the air filter. Pop your hood and check it out. These things should be replaced every 30,000 miles, but not more than 50,000. This job costs me $24.55 total after tax.

Part No. 2946079 101D4 Grommet $5.22 x 2 = $10.44
Part No. 53030495 101D5 Crankcase Ventilation $7.16
Part No. 53030497 101D5 Crankcase Ventilation $5.42

Start by disconnecting both lines leading to the CCV Valves on the engine. There should be 2 total. Once you take those off, pull the elbow and grommet (rubber fitting) from the engine. Mine were dirty...

Clean up the area very well and make sure NOTHING falls down into the engine. Cleaning the area will ensure a leak free seal.

Before fiddling around with trying to press the fittings and grommets into place, stop. You will not get them in as one piece (elbow + grommet together at once). I tried oil as lube, as well as freezing the grommet to try and shrink it temporarily. It just would not budge. It was very simple however to get a clean screw driver and put just the grommet in first. Put the screw driver in a place where it acts as sort of a guide, or slide. You should be able to press the majority of the grommet in the hole, and then insert the screwdriver partially, and finish the insertion fairly easily.

I am now a dealer for Iron Rock Off Road
I offer the same great products you already know about,
the same low prices you have been seeing, and with
the same experienced customer support, but I can offer it nearly 24/7

"Project Dirty Princess"
5.9 ZJ 7" IRO, 35s, 8.8, hp30, locked, blah blah

"Project Grow A Set"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMARJEEP View Post
Those tires look freakin awesome Redhat... took the ZJ up a notch in my book. Now you're at notch 2.

Last edited by redhatman; 12-28-2007 at 11:19 AM..
redhatman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2007, 12:10 AM   #2
redhatman
1998 ZJ 

Once this is installed, all that is left is the elbow and hoses that were removed. The elbow should go in without too much struggle, but it will take some work. Remember this vacuum line is supposed to have no leaks and is held tight by the parts just how they are, so it will be tight. It doesnt hurt to get up on your Jeep and press down from above either. Do this process for both the front and back. I am not sure what is different about the elbows, but the grey one goes in the rear and black in the front.

Take the lines to a water source with soap and a brush handy. Inspect all lines carefully and replace if there is any damage. Mine were good to go from inspection. Clean well, rinse, and dry completely. Even a small air compressor will do wonders for the inside of the tube to make sure that there is not water being sucked in by your engine.

Re-connect all lines how they were once cleaned and dried. It is a good idea to clean off the valve cover aswell to check later to see if you fixed the problem

I hope that clears things up a bit! (Get it?? Hahaha)

-Pat

I am now a dealer for Iron Rock Off Road
I offer the same great products you already know about,
the same low prices you have been seeing, and with
the same experienced customer support, but I can offer it nearly 24/7

"Project Dirty Princess"
5.9 ZJ 7" IRO, 35s, 8.8, hp30, locked, blah blah

"Project Grow A Set"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMARJEEP View Post
Those tires look freakin awesome Redhat... took the ZJ up a notch in my book. Now you're at notch 2.
redhatman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2007, 07:33 AM   #3
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Good job. And the parts are cheap from the dealer. Now you will not have any oil collecting onto of the air filter.
This orfice the actual CCV valve, below, is what usually clogs and you can not get to it without damaging the rubber gromet that it seats into.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 10:23 AM   #4
bravekate
1998 ZJ 

" Once you take those off, pull the elbow and grommet (rubber fitting) from the engine." Love how easy you make this sound. I've been trying to get it out for 2 days! HELP!!!
bravekate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 03:49 PM   #5
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

I suggest a having a shop vac with a home made nozzle handy to get the broken pieces out of there after they fall in. Or do it when you change the valve cover gasket.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 06:11 PM   #6
Jenglish
1998 ZJ 

nice... darn hoses.
Jenglish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 08:14 PM   #7
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

i ended up busting the elbows up to remove them with some needle nose pliers afterward.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.