How to replace oil pump in transmission? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > How to replace oil pump in transmission?

Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-29-2013, 02:12 AM   #1
sigfushar

How to replace oil pump in transmission?

Hi. How do I replace the oil pump in my tranny from 1995 ZJ ? The housing says 049-2. The "ears" that slide into the torque converter are broken.

sigfushar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 07:36 AM   #2
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

1. disconnect negative battery cable
2. remove front and rear driveshafts
3. remove transfer case
4. disconnect everything from the transmission
5. remove cross member (be sure to support the back of the trans with a jack, it will drop)
6. remove exhaust system
7. remove starter (dont have to take it all the way out, just unbolt it and swing it out of the way)
8. remove inspection cover
9. mark the flexplate and torque converter so they go back together the same way
10. remove torque converter bolts, turn the engine with a big wrench to get to them all, there are 4
11. position trans jack under the trans
12. remove bell housing bolts (have to remove the oil filter to get to one on the passenger side
13. slowly shift the trans back and off the engine
14. take the trans over to the bench
15. carefully remove the torque converter (its heavy) lay it with the shaft facing up so you dont lose alot of fluid
16. remove the bolts holding the pump in place
17. remove pump from housing

installation is reverse of removal. good luck

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.