How To Replace Lift-gate Struts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > How To Replace Lift-gate Struts

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 03-01-2008, 04:06 AM   #1
Jimmer
1998 ZJ 

How To Replace Lift-gate Struts

I replaced the lift-gate struts on my 1998 GC yesterday. It was a very easy 15-minute job.

I used Mopar genuine parts. On the parts packages, the lift-gate struts are called “LIFTGATE SUPPORTS”. Since there are left and right parts, the part numbers are G0004856AC and G0004857AC. They cost $36.10 each plus tax at the dealership. There are instructions on the back of the packages, but I didn’t notice them until just now.

The bolts on the top of the support use a T-8 External Torx socket. I had trouble finding a set of these in my town, but I did find them at NAPA for about $20. They are ¼” drive and I used a 3” extension on my wrench.

I used a push broom to prop up the lift-gate while I removed the first strut. Something a little longer, such as a 2X4 or stepladder, might have been better to use. You will want to lift up on the gate a little to remove the tension on the bolts as you are removing them.

After the top bolts are removed, use a little screwdriver to pry the ball connector clip out about a ¼” to release the bottom of the strut from the ball connector on the vehicle.

For installing the new strut, I put the bolts in on the top of the strut first (to keep the tension off of the bolts). In retrospect, I think I should have disconnected the ball connector first when I removed the old one, to help relieve the tension off the bolts. If you don’t get the tension off the bolts, there is a possibility of cross-threading them. You don’t even want to cross-thread the bolts! After getting the bolts in, just pry the clip out about ¼” on the ball connector and press it on to the ball.

I thought that one new strut would hold up the lift-gate adequately while I removed and replaced the other side. This didn’t work for me, so I had to again use the push broom handle to keep the lift-gate up.

The great result is that the lift-gate actually goes up automatically after opening it about halfway! It is now working just like it did when it was new. I wish I had done this about three years ago.

Jimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2008, 08:18 AM   #2
nashmd454
1996 ZJ 

Thank You Jimmer for that write up. Very nice and informative...only thing else it would need is pics...believe me...there are people on this forum who cannot read (not illerterate) and need pics to go with what you just said.
If GOD gave HIS only son for us...can't we at least give HIM an hour of our time a day.

[URL]http://photobucket.com/albums/v639/nashmd454[/URL]

[url]http://groups.jeepforum.com/The_Dark_Side[/url]
nashmd454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2008, 08:25 AM   #3
TAftw
1994 ZJ 

Thank you, that was very informative and helpful, as I have to replace the lift gate Struts on my 94 GC.
TAftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2008, 09:55 AM   #4
subliminal
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Just a hint for everyone, the struts are like $24 at advance auto parts
subliminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2008, 10:48 AM   #5
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Hey,

check page 3 of the faqs, I made you famous.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2008, 04:09 PM   #6
stevemack

Thanks for the excellent write up. I pulled it off in 1/2 an hour so I was a little slower than you were.

I couldn't find a T-8 Torx Socket when I went to Pep Boys so I bought the E-8 Torx Socket and it worked perfectly. I even took it back after I was done with it and got a full refund.

I'm so happy I don't have to hold up my liftgate with one hand as I pull out my surfboard with the other anymore. Thanks once again.

Stephen
stevemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2008, 04:13 PM   #7
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemack View Post
I couldn't find a T-8 Torx Socket when I went to Pep Boys so I bought the E-8 Torx Socket and it worked perfectly. I even took it back after I was done with it and got a full refund.

Stephen
Wow, way to screw over the company by using something and then returning it! Way to show how you have no morals or principals.
Unread 03-22-2008, 04:17 PM   #8
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep View Post
Wow, way to screw over the company by using something and then returning it! Way to show how you have no morals or principals.
x2

I hope you need that tool again someday and that they will be out of stock when you return.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2008, 07:56 PM   #9
cologc46

2006 TJ Wrangler 

If you go aftermarket... Struts at Autozone were rather generic and had a funky linkage at the top which was loose and looked like it would rattle. I took those back and went to Advanced (on suggestion of my brother who just did his). The struts I got at Advanced had a properly designed knuckle at the top and have been working perfect for a year on my 94 ZJ. If you go with aftermarket, get ones that are designed for a GC of your model year, rather than generics. My 2 cents worth. YMMV.
cologc46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2008, 05:07 AM   #10
georged
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep View Post
If you that taking a tool back for a refund after using it, here us what a female friend did:
She bought a party dress and carefully removed the tags so she could replace them and return the dress after wearing it.
georged is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2009, 03:03 PM   #11
jej1216
1994 FSJ Cherokee 

Great Instructions

What a great thread!

I have never replaced the lifters before, and after reading this thread, we did it in a matter of minutes.

Thanks,

jej1216
jej1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2009, 03:38 PM   #12
codewhite
1998 ZJ 

x2 on the auto zone struts, i replaced mine with those a little over a year ago and they stopped working properly after about six months. They are a little cheaper, but definitely not worth the saved money.
codewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2009, 04:26 PM   #13
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

so it seems autozone struts are a no-go. Now the question is: is it worth it to by dealer direct replacement parts or will the Advanced Auto parts one do fine? I have all three stores within a 20 minute driving distance so its a matter of money vs. value. If the dealer struts are higher quality than the AAP ones I will be willing to pay the extra $10

oh and congrats on the faq fame at only 51 posts. I wish I got that kind of fame hahahah

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2009, 06:19 PM   #14
colinzj
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmer View Post
The bolts on the top of the support use a T-8 External Torx socket. I had trouble finding a set of these in my town, but I did find them at NAPA for about $20. They are ¼” drive and I used a 3” extension on my wrench.
SAE 1/4 inch socket works fine on some/all model years despite the Torx bolt.

I think it was 1/4 anyway... been a while.
Unread 02-22-2009, 11:10 PM   #15
cologc46

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Following up on my post on this thread quite a while ago. I bought a pair from Advanced Auto, and those are still working great. I have had them on for more than a year, probably 18 months now. Hopefully, Advanced is still carrying these same struts.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.