How to repair your ZJ power sunroof - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > How to repair your ZJ power sunroof

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 09-20-2006, 08:46 AM   #1
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

How to repair your ZJ power sunroof

Hopefully this will help anyone that enjoys a sunroof. Just bought a 95 V8 ZJ, and the power sunroof was intermittent at first, then it stopped working completely. The catch was it wasn't shut the whole way when it quit. So the repair wasn't optional and liesurely. As of last nite, the basic steps:

1. Check fuses. The power sunroof is on the power window fuse, so if the windows work, not likely a fuse.

2. Lower the front overhead console and pull the connector off the power sunroof switch. To pull the console, remove the single philips head screw in front, and then just pull it downward. There are two clips rearward. There are 3 wires going back to the power sunroof controller. With the ignition on, use a small piece of wire to short the center wire to one of the other two. Then short the center lead to the other wire. That is equivalent to pressing the switch both directions. If the sunroof works, you simply have a bad switch. Easy fix. But I wasn't so lucky.

3. Pull the headliner. Not as bad as it sounds. Took about 20 minutes with two of us and air tools. To pull the passenger overhead handles in the rear seating area, keep in mind the clothes hanger has a removeable cap with a torx behind it. A door panel fastener remover will prove invaluable too. You need to remove the lens on the rear lights and the rear overhead console. There are two philips in each of them. And there are clips also. We broke a couple clips off, but nothing JB Weld can't handle.

4. With the headliner gone, you can now work like a man. First apply 12vdc directly from the battery to the power sunroof motor. Just pull the connector and use long wires. If you use chassis ground, you only need one wire. The motor doesn't care about polarity. If the motor turns that is a good thing. If not, you got a bad motor. Likely expensive.

5. Near the sunroof motor, you will see a little black box, the power sunroof controller. Remove it from the vehicle. There are three connectors to pull and several nylon ties to cut. One of the connectors is way forward. Carefully split the box and pull out the small circuit board. Inspect the board for bad solder joints. On mine, everything looked good until I used a magnifying glass. One of the smaller guage wires going to a relay had a bad solder joint. You could see the break 360 degrees around the wire. I resoldered all the smaller guage wires to be sure. Put the controller back together and reinstalled. Viola! Works like downtown now. And the price was right.

If a bad solder connection isn't your problem, then one of the relays or diodes on the controller board are bad. You could try to find the parts and repair or just replace the thing at this point.

HighLonesome is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2006, 08:55 AM   #2
SnaFu2
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.two
Hopefully this will help anyone that enjoys a sunroof. Just bought a 95 V8 ZJ, and the power sunroof was intermittent at first, then it stopped working completely. The catch was it wasn't shut the whole way when it quit. So the repair wasn't optional and liesurely. As of last nite, the basic steps:

1. Check fuses. The power sunroof is on the power window fuse, so if the windows work, not likely a fuse.

2. Lower the front overhead console and pull the connector off the power sunroof switch. To pull the console, remove the single philips head screw in front, and then just pull it downward. There are two clips rearward. There are 3 wires going back to the power sunroof controller. With the ignition on, use a small piece of wire to short the center wire to one of the other two. Then short the center lead to the other wire. That is equivalent to pressing the switch both directions. If the sunroof works, you simply have a bad switch. Easy fix. But I wasn't so lucky.

3. Pull the headliner. Not as bad as it sounds. Took about 20 minutes with two of us and air tools. To pull the passenger overhead handles in the rear seating area, keep in mind the clothes hanger has a removeable cap with a torx behind it. A door panel fastener remover will prove invaluable too. You need to remove the lens on the rear lights and the rear overhead console. There are two philips in each of them. And there are clips also. We broke a couple clips off, but nothing JB Weld can't handle.

4. With the headliner gone, you can now work like a man. First apply 12vdc directly from the battery to the power sunroof motor. Just pull the connector and use long wires. If you use chassis ground, you only need one wire. The motor doesn't care about polarity. If the motor turns that is a good thing. If not, you got a bad motor. Likely expensive.

5. Near the sunroof motor, you will see a little black box, the power sunroof controller. Remove it from the vehicle. There are three connectors to pull and several nylon ties to cut. One of the connectors is way forward. Carefully split the box and pull out the small circuit board. Inspect the board for bad solder joints. On mine, everything looked good until I used a magnifying glass. One of the smaller guage wires going to a relay had a bad solder joint. You could see the break 360 degrees around the wire. I resoldered all the smaller guage wires to be sure. Put the controller back together and reinstalled. Viola! Works like downtown now. And the price was right.

If a bad solder connection isn't your problem, then one of the relays or diodes on the controller board are bad. You could try to find the parts and repair or just replace the thing at this point.
There is also a micro-switch in the track above the driver's seat. It is called the "sun-roof position switch" on the
wireing diagram.
This sends a signal to the sunroof control module. If the micro-switch is not working correctly it will send the wrong signal to the SCM and it will think the sunroof is at the end of it's travel. I think that is the problem with mine, but winter is coming and i won't be using the sunroof for a while, so i have not fully investigate it.

Just wondering, is there any way to get to the sunroof control module without removeing the headliner?
SnaFu2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2006, 09:02 AM   #3
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnaFu2
There is also a micro-switch in the track above the driver's seat. i believe it is called the "locator".
This sends a signal to the sunroof control module. If the micro-switch is not working correctly it will send the wrong signal to the SCM and it will think the sunroof is at the end of it's travel. I think that is the problem with mine, but winter is coming and i won't be using the sunroof for a while, so i have not fully investigate it.
Yes, that switch! Saw it on the schematic, but didn't need to go there. When I saw that cold solder joint, I felt a certain joy and comfort. That microswitch would have been the next thing to look at. Simple ohms check.Thanks for adding your thoughts to this thread.
Unread 09-20-2006, 09:06 AM   #4
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Just wondering, is there any way to get to the sunroof control module without removeing the headliner?
Cut a hole in the headliner where the controller is and glue the piece back when you are done, but you would need to cut the 3 wires that go to the forward connector, or cut a hole there too.

Or you could lower the headliner from the rear hatch side maybe and have enough room to work. We thought about that, but I said to my partner "I want this thing fixed no matter what it takes." We both agreed fork it, just get it out of the way.

Last edited by HighLonesome; 10-27-2006 at 08:59 AM..
Unread 09-22-2006, 07:54 AM   #5
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Hey Snafu,

Got everything put back together last nite. That microswitch you spoke of is very easy to get at. It is located right above the driver's seat on the power sunroof slider rail. But the catch is you got to be able to slide the sunroof back to see it. Two torx and two wires is all it takes to replace it.

Still having a little trouble getting the sunroof to go to the tilt position. It will hang up sometimes, but you can help it by pushing it out manually. I cleaned and lubed the rails where I could, but no help. Just seems like the motor doesn't have enough a$$.

Last edited by HighLonesome; 10-27-2006 at 09:00 AM..
Unread 09-22-2006, 08:08 AM   #6
SnaFu2
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.two
Hey Snafu,

Got everything put back together last nite. That microswitch you spoke of is very easy to get at. It is located right above the driver's seat on the power sunroof slider rail. But the catch is you got to be able to slide the sunroof back to see it. Two torx and two wires is all it takes to replace it.

Still having a little trouble getting the sunroof to go to the tilt position. It will hang up sometimes, but you can help it by pushing it out manually. I cleaned and lubed the rails where I could, but no help. Just seems like the motor doesn't have enough ***.
Just wondering where u got the micro-switch, and how much did it cost u?
SnaFu2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2006, 08:25 AM   #7
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Just wondering where u got the micro-switch, and how much did it cost u?
I didn't replace it because its working. Just spotted it last nite and thought I would relay you the info. Can't cost much at all.
Unread 03-18-2007, 06:49 PM   #8
motox54

thanx this helped me alot. I could not figure out what the black box was for . I have pwr coming out and the motor works with 12v, but i was stumped after that .

Last edited by motox54; 03-18-2007 at 07:02 PM..
motox54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2007, 12:33 AM   #9
indyaudioguy

Mine also had the bad solder joint. It is SO NICE to have that thing working perfectly without having to bang on the roof anymore! Thanks for documenting all the steps so that I could see that it is really not so bad to do!
Unread 10-02-2007, 05:44 AM   #10
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

i need to fix my sunroof AGAIN
the small copper tubes keep coming out of their hole and it screws up..
note to self.. never be closing sunroof when going over speed bumps..
My Build Thead
Facebook
Senior at The Ohio State University
BLACKzj52 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2007, 08:40 AM   #11
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyaudioguy
Mine also had the bad solder joint. It is SO NICE to have that thing working perfectly without having to bang on the roof anymore! Thanks for documenting all the steps so that I could see that it is really not so bad to do!
You're welcome indy.

Mine is still working over a year later. I don't use the tilt though because I don't want it to get stuck in that position. It does work, but it seems weak and I don't want to risk it.
Unread 10-02-2007, 12:13 PM   #12
gunthagunth
1997 ZJ 

I cant find any info on a sunroof swap anywhere. Could I just swap the 5.9 one in or is there some 5.9L reinforcing?
97 ZJ 5.9L 242/4.5" RE Coils/1.75" Spacers/Clayton arms/Addco's/RE brake lines/35x12.5 bfg muds/Currie steering/K&N/Claytons Front Drop tracbar/Dropped pitman/Bilstein 5125's/JKS BPE/JKS loop conversion/JKS Sliders/ZJilla rear bumper/Clayton front winch bumper/durango steering box/warn 9000i/Hambek Customs carbon fiber cowl hood #2of16/Hp30-8.8 4.56/ARB f+r
gunthagunth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2007, 02:08 PM   #13
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Too much work. You'd need a donor vehicle with front and rear overhead consoles, harness, headliner, complete assy with drains, etc.
Unread 10-02-2007, 04:21 PM   #14
gunthagunth
1997 ZJ 

I will have one on saturday. So it should be doable? Or to do it proper it would require the actual roof off of the 5.9L to drain correctly.
97 ZJ 5.9L 242/4.5" RE Coils/1.75" Spacers/Clayton arms/Addco's/RE brake lines/35x12.5 bfg muds/Currie steering/K&N/Claytons Front Drop tracbar/Dropped pitman/Bilstein 5125's/JKS BPE/JKS loop conversion/JKS Sliders/ZJilla rear bumper/Clayton front winch bumper/durango steering box/warn 9000i/Hambek Customs carbon fiber cowl hood #2of16/Hp30-8.8 4.56/ARB f+r
gunthagunth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2007, 04:31 PM   #15
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunthagunth
I will have one on saturday. So it should be doable? Or to do it proper it would require the actual roof off of the 5.9L to drain correctly.
Forgot about the niner you're getting!

I can't remember what it looks like under there. But does sound doable one way or another.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.