How to repair body rust? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > How to repair body rust?

2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Black (Paint to Match) Grille2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Black Sun Shade (Rugged Ridge)Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-18-2008, 03:33 PM   #1
Gibby913
1997 ZJ 

How to repair body rust?

I've got rust on my hood and I'm wondering how to repair the infected area and the techniques used to paint it again to make it match the rest? Any body ever done anything like this? Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated.

Unread 09-18-2008, 03:43 PM   #2
JeepinMass

2008 JK Wrangler 

Is it surface rust or is it rusted through??

If it's surface rust you can get it down to bare metal, then use a little filler, sand, prime, sand, paint, wetsand.

If it's rusted through then it's easier to get another hood.
Unread 09-18-2008, 04:04 PM   #3
ajmorell

No need to take it all the way down to the bare metal. I took care of this not too long ago on my ZJ, although I did not paint it to match the rest of my Jeep. I sanded it down well with 60 grit, chiseled out the rust then filled it in with some body filler. I sanded the body filler down again with 60 grit to even it all out and then again with 600 grit to smooth it out. Once it's smoothed out spray a coat of primer on it. Once the primer dries wetsand w/ some 600 grit, let it dry then hit it again with a coat of primer. Use the same technique of wet sanding/spraying for 2 coats of color. For the 2 coats of clear at the end use 1500 or 2000 grit to wetsand in between. You should be all set after that. Mine turned out pretty good.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2008, 04:32 PM   #4
Kruzin
1993 ZJ 

If you don't take it to bare metal, you don't get all the rust. It WILL come back.
Kruzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2008, 04:51 PM   #5
Dmax5er
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruzin View Post
If you don't take it to bare metal, you don't get all the rust. It WILL come back.
You are exactly right!! Ive done body work for 32 years now and have dealt with this problem several times.

Assuming the rust does not go all the way thru,, the best way to get rid of it is a sand blaster,(small grain) sand will knock it out of the small pits where a grinder wont get, even if you leave the smallest speck of rust if will come back, maybe not this month or next, but you can bet it will come back........
Once you get it sand blasted blow it out real good and inspect your work and make sure you got it all, and prime with Epoxy primer like DP40 by ppg or any other brand.... IF the rust goes thru you have to cut it out completely, which will suck on a hood.. or you can temp fix it with por15....

Last edited by Dmax5er; 09-18-2008 at 04:52 PM.. Reason: added
Dmax5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2008, 05:19 PM   #6
ajmorell

You only need to take it down to the bare metal in the areas where the rust exists, not the other areas that are rust free...that is what I meant.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 08:19 AM   #7
Gibby913
1997 ZJ 

ajmorrell do you have pics of your before and after product?
Unread 01-08-2013, 10:40 PM   #8
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

I've sanded down the 4.0's rusty area's... It was showing all over the roof and near the roof rack on the side's of the Jeep.. I just got some high grit sand paper sanded it down to bare metal.. wipe it down with a spong dried it off, and primed it with rustolium primer, and then painted with a paint close to the color of the Jeep... I did the side by the roof rack like 2 1/2 years ago.. paint is still there rust hasnt returned.. I did the entire roof like a month ago... Looks good actually.. I'll get pictures of it tomorrow or something..

But here is the rust before sorry this is the only picture i have but you can see the huge rust spot on the Jeep

Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 12:02 AM   #9
rcMikeS1990
1994 ZJ 

Thats an odd place to rust at
Unread 01-09-2013, 02:14 AM   #10
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Yea it is, the Jeep the whole body is pealing. everywhere, doors, roof, sides of the Jeep, the hood... It sucks... As i said i painted the entire roof 2 months ago.. The whole roof was riddled with spots of rust.. The wierd thing is the Hatch isnt peeling lol and the hood is what started first but the hood still has paint and primer on it no clear coat but paint when it rains or has morning dew on it i can rub my fingers on the hood and get primer and paint on them lol.. Im not sure why its peeling this badly... My mom spent like $3500 on a new paint Job about 11 years ago because her Ex-bf scratched the hell out of it with keys and stuff when it was only 4 years old.. But whoever did the paint job did a real ****ty job because as i said the ENTIRE body is peeling...

I might had to eventually remove all the panels, the rocker panels the roof rack and trim and paint the entire car and sand down the peeling parts.. I do not want the body to rust through. Thankfully since the roof is painted now there is no more rust anywhere.. Altho I didnt remove the roof rack in fear it might cause leaks inside the Jeep so i might do that next year to see if it needs painted under it.

Thank god my 5.9 has a near perfect paint Job.. asside the damn dings on one of my doors and a scratch on the drivers door someone in a parking lot was so kind to give me.. I think the PO had it painted not too long ago because i was missing a badge on my door and the bumper had a dry running drip under it when i looked.. Thats fine.. lol in the sun its a heavy sparkly metalic silver i love it lol.. Was the first thing i noticed bout the Jeep when i saw in the dealership 2 years ago.. I was like..... THAT JEEP IS MINE !! i didnt even know what a 5.9 was i just wanted a Jeep
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.